Sponsored

FitcamX is highly recommended on this forum, but check the loop recordings.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
I had seen the LTT video that he's referencing that basically claimed all dashcams are terrible. I wish I'd seen this video prior to the FitcamX purchase, but may have still gone FitcamX because it's such a clean install compared to the Vantrue which is very obvious. I don't think Plate readability is the most important thing to me. I guess unless it's a hit and run, but let's face it, if they hit and run you aren't getting anything out of them anyway.
LTT seems to think that every frame grab in low light should be as good as his iPhone 14 with extended low-light exposure. The limiting variable under those conditions, however, is the amount of photons that can be captured in the limited amount of time imposed by the desired frame rate and resolution. Asking a video camera to give you the ability to read license plates at night from two independently moving vehicles is a very tough ask. The new Starvis IMX678 gets pretty close if the software takes advantage of the double exposure.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Are you using the card that was included with the camera with the FitcamX branding or did you supply your own?
If I recall correctly, itā€™s the one that came with it. I donā€™t recall replacing it.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Thanks for this post - I'm going to check mine - just installed with default card in July - already helped me when someone side swiped me - fortunately no major damage really good aluminum guy was able to roll out the dent and you cannot even tell (no paint needed).

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
It's still an OK product, it looks great and the picture quality is better than previous cams I had. It also doesn't lose the settings and date and time info randomly like other cams.

I'm able to remote start my truck and pull videos or format the card from my living room, which makes it even more convenient even with the no-looping issues.

Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Cheap sd cards and USB sticks are notorious for reporting larger memory size than is reality. You're cam will happily record to join existent sectors. Get a legit real Samsung or Sandisk and from their direct store, not third party on Amazon

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I've been slowly dealing with FitcamX chat support throughout the day. They had me test the card using that same software that @queuewho is referring to. (Sidenote to Queuewho, you gotta do all the troubleshooting steps cause they're working off a troubleshooting matrix, do what they ask and give them a chance as they usually aren't allowed to skip a step) After sending them a screen shot they recommended I buy a SanDisk Extreme. I pushed back that I'm using the card that has their logo on it that came with the camera I bought a month ago, if anyone's buying me a new card, it should be them. They agreed to send me a replacement. So maybe it's the same crap card and will have the same problem, but considering there are some people here that don't have issues with it, I'm hoping the new card will solve the issue, but if not, I'll drop the $15 on the recommended card.

On another note, SD cards got super cheap since I last looked.
On mine it gets full and still records but only in 30 sec clips.
I have used 2 other cards besides the original and they all have to be checked when ever you think about it, I tried to contact them but no reply.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I have this camera since June 2023. Yes on high quality larger cards to be able to swap back and forth. No issues on recording videos other than my side noteā€¦.
ā€”->Side note, Iā€™ve never been able to connect to camera wifi of all things at all ever from an iPhone. Wireless CarPlay was blamed. This is the negative of the camera for me. Cannot set camera date and time for recorded videos without wifi connection which really sucks for proper use.!!!!!

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. Make sure to disconnect from CarPlay and connect to the dashcam. Iā€™ve had to turn off the auto join WiFi option within my phone to stop connecting to the trucks CarPlay.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Iā€™ve never been able to connect to camera wifi of all things at all ever from an iPhone. Wireless CarPlay was blamed.
Wireless carplay is using your phones WiFi to communicate with the truck. I had the same issue with the Thinkware U1000 I had in my MachE. One of the reasons I prefer to go with a USB connection for carplay, the other being the annoying lag introduced when going wireless.

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Wireless carplay is using your phones WiFi to communicate with the truck. I had the same issue with the Thinkware U1000 I had in my MachE. One of the reasons I prefer to go with a USB connection for carplay, the other being the annoying lag introduced when going wireless.
Havenā€™t tried turning it off lately, thanks for the reminder.. I will get back on it as soon as I get my truck back from service shop, itā€™s new home now šŸ˜¢ going on 2 weeks+ for the infamous battery module replacement that resulted after the ***57 update among other recalls šŸ˜”

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
I use Samsung Pro Endurance - not cheap but built for this type of constant recording/deleting. It hasn't let me down like the cheap ones. When you need the recording, you need it.
just bought that card. the same thing happened to me with the fitcamx. didnt know why. now i do. thank you and all the others on here.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks for the recommendation. Can you clarify your level of "not cheap"? I found a 256gb on Amazon for $20. Is that reasonable?

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Endu...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070159613068&th=1
Yes, that's the one. They've come down in price since I bought mine but that's a good card designed for the workload of a dashcam.

Sandisk also has a High Endurance model that I'd feel comfortable using. https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endu...fix=samsung+Pro+Endurance,aps,151&sr=8-6&th=1
Sponsored