• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charge Station Pro Installation Bid Price - Your Opinion?

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
The electrician came over today and gave me a bid on the CSP install with an option to also install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. It's definitely more expensive than I thought. I think I need a second bid. For those with more expertise in this area, could you give me your opinion on the bid?

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro Installation Bid Price - Your Opinion? Car charger
Sponsored

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Isn't this substantially less than some of the quotes people were getting from Sunrun?

OP
OP

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
Good question. I don't know. Most of the more expensive Sunrun bids that I've seen included the intelligent backup system.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I stand corrected. I initially thought this included the home integration system.

If this only includes installing the charger and an outlet, I think it's too high.

It does seem to include the installation of a subpanel, but it still seems expensive.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
That is not bad...dont look at the total number - it is 3 different options. You would only get one of them. So if you wanted just the 80a charger installed it would be $2214.
It all depends on how far away the charger is from the panel as well - wire is not cheap anymore.

Sponsored

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I had a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in my garage last year for $500, which included the 15 ft of wire and the 50 amp circuit breaker. Rather than running it through the wall, they ran conduit along the garage ceiling and down the wall to the plug.

OP
OP

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
Am I reading the bid correctly that the 100 amp sub panel is an option? If so, why would having a sub panel installed be advantageous?

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Am I reading the bid correctly that the 100 amp sub panel is an option? If so, why would having a sub panel installed be advantageous?
You can run aluminum conductors instead of copper saving money (more distance, more savings). You can add future circuits much more easily, so you're getting a bit more value as well.

The subpanel option would be the way I'd go if your main panel is a substantial distance away.

OP
OP

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
Thanks for the help, I think I'm getting a better grasp of the bid. Correct me if I'm wrong, the subpanel is an alternative to Option 1 (which I believe is an all copper run). My main panel box is around 60 feet from my garage.

The subpanel would cost $2066 + $495 to wire the 100 amp charger next to the subpanel + an optional $319 for a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Just wiring the CSP to my main panel is $2214.

Am I reading that right?

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
It is heavily dependent upon how much work it takes to get the wire there, so it's not easy for us to judge that. I will tell you that in 2012, it cost me $900 to do my first 100A install, and then when we added the second EV in 2016, it cost me $1,400 for the second 100A install. My panels in the basement are only 50-75 linear feet from my garage bays, though.

Copper vs. Aluminum is about $3/ft savings for the wire, but you'll have to pay for the junction and connectors to connect the two. It can make sense for anything over 50 ft or so.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
The electrician came over today and gave me a bid on the CSP install with an option to also install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. It's definitely more expensive than I thought. I think I need a second bid. For those with more expertise in this area, could you give me your opinion on the bid?

Car charger.jpg
My lowest bid for 26’ LF of #3 copper in conduit to a new 100A breaker in my existing 200A Service Panel was just under $1,900, including installing the FCSP…..Labor was $100/hr (4-6 hrs est.). The rest was the copper, conduit and supplies…..

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Thanks for the help, I think I'm getting a better grasp of the bid. Correct me if I'm wrong, the subpanel is an alternative to Option 1 (which I believe is an all copper run). My main panel box is around 60 feet from my garage.

The subpanel would cost $2066 + $495 to wire the 100 amp charger next to the subpanel + an optional $319 for a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Just wiring the CSP to my main panel is $2214.

Am I reading that right?
It's not entirely clear, but I think that's right. Code requires a disconnect accessible from the EVSE location (although the definition of "accessible" varies), so I'd probably just go with a small 2 or 4-space subpanel in the garage anyway.

Here is what mine looks like in the garage:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro Installation Bid Price - Your Opinion? 1657942216802

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro Installation Bid Price - Your Opinion? 1657942230951

The Tesla EVSE will be replaced with the FCSP when it arrives. I've got a bit of a code violation there with a missing 1" plug after I had to swap the two Tesla EVSE's and I don't have any 1" plugs on my truck.

These installs are all copper.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
While the 2020 code requires a surge suppressor, existing installations are not required to be updated. This is an upsell by the electrician. Not saying it’s a bad idea, but not required.

@FlasherZ covered everything else.