First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0
Occupation
Business owner
I received a call tonight from a dealership telling me that his dealership was getting 25 F150 Lighting trucks and that I could secure one coming in , but I would have to pay over the window sticker. I told the gentleman that I am working with a dealer close to my home and that I am willing to wait until 2023 or 2024 but I am not paying over window sticker. I am willing to wait and if the dealers are going to do this than I may decided to go with another brand!!
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I received a call tonight from a dealership telling me that his dealership was getting 25 F150 Lighting trucks and that I could secure one coming in , but I would have to pay over the window sticker. I told the gentleman that I am working with a dealer close to my home and that I am willing to wait until 2023 or 2024 but I am not paying over window sticker. I am willing to wait and if the dealers are going to do this than I may decided to go with another brand!!
So basically that dealer is getting 0 F150 Lightnings. The 25 he claims are from prioritization but they won't see any of them if the people who Reserved refuse to play ball.

BrownHornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
12' Roush Mustang
Occupation
IT
You should move your reservation to another dealer. They are going to stick it to you just the same in 2023 or 2024. Find a dealer that says they are going to sell at MSRP. Having your reservation with them means it stick figures into their allotment regardless if you push your reservation back or not.

Tiki_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning
I got a text yesterday from my first dealer informing me they were asking 10k over MSRP for a priority reservation. I called ford and switched dealers.

Obi

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
This is a tough decision for me. I got a call from the dealer yesterday, too. I was one of the 1st reservations for the dealer. He was offering me a 2022 for a 10K ADM. After reading up on this forum (and getting a copy of the 22MY F-150 Lightning ordering guide for dealers - super helpful), I fully understand that what he is offering is to refer me to Ford to be considered for a 2022 for a 10K fee. The ordering guide clearly says a vehicle is not guaranteed even if you get a dealer referral.

Here's my dilemma: I'm ready for a truck now. I want an EV, and I want a Lightning. If I don't take the offer for the referral, I'm looking at a 2023 or 2024. But I own a 2019 F150 crew cab Lariat with 20k miles. This vehicle is worth a lot right now - close to the MSRP when I bought it. This value will not last, especially if the market changes and more time goes by. Between that and the (hopefully) $12k federal rebate, there are considerable incentives to buy now.

It would kill me to pay the dealer. I don't think switching dealers is a viable option (I would lose my position in line and the referral lists were due to Ford last night).

anybody have thoughts?

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
This is a tough decision for me. I got a call from the dealer yesterday, too. I was one of the 1st reservations for the dealer. He was offering me a 2022 for a 10K ADM. After reading up on this forum (and getting a copy of the 22MY F-150 Lightning ordering guide for dealers - super helpful), I fully understand that what he is offering is to refer me to Ford to be considered for a 2022 for a 10K fee. The ordering guide clearly says a vehicle is not guaranteed even if you get a dealer referral.

Here's my dilemma: I'm ready for a truck now. I want an EV, and I want a Lightning. If I don't take the offer for the referral, I'm looking at a 2023 or 2024. But I own a 2019 F150 crew cab Lariat with 20k miles. This vehicle is worth a lot right now - close to the MSRP when I bought it. This value will not last, especially if the market changes and more time goes by. Between that and the (hopefully) $12k federal rebate, there are considerable incentives to buy now.

It would kill me to pay the dealer. I don't think switching dealers is a viable option (I would lose my position in line and the referral lists were due to Ford last night).

anybody have thoughts?
Paying $10k "extra" for an actual vehicle is one thing but to pay for a position in a line they don't have control of is ridiculous if not a criminal enterprise. What I would really do is move my reservation now because this is a dealer you want nothing to do with. Or, I might have some fun and say I'll make that deal if they agree to pay me $10k if I don't have the truck in hand by June 1 2022. When they claim they don't have any control over it, then you can ask them why in the world you would pay the and not Ford Moror Co for the place in line.

There are other dealers that will treat you better and based on your reservation timestamp, though it sounds like you really want on a priority list. If you need the truck that bad, get something else and work toward a 2024 or 2025 all electric. Maybe get the hybrid right now if you can.

Obi

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Paying $10k "extra" for an actual vehicle is one thing but to pay for a position in a line they don't have control of is ridiculous if not a criminal enterprise. What I would really do is move my reservation now because this is a dealer you want nothing to do with. Or, I might have some fun and say I'll make that deal if they agree to pay me $10k if I don't have the truck in hand by June 1 2022. When they claim they don't have any control over it, then you can ask them why in the world you would pay the and not Ford Moror Co for the place in line.

There are other dealers that will treat you better and based on your reservation timestamp, though it sounds like you really want on a priority list. If you need the truck that bad, get something else and work toward a 2024 or 2025 all electric. Maybe get the hybrid right now if you can.
I hear you. Just to be clear - the 10K is an ADM that would be applied if the order goes through. They were not going to refer me if I was unwilling to accept the ADM. I said yes, but I haven't committed to anything yet.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

anybody have thoughts?
The Dealer has no control of whether you get an invitation or not. This is coming from Ford. While the dealer has an input on priorities, it doesn’t mean all 25 are getting to the front of the line. Don’t pay the markup.

There is no such thing as a “referral” from the dealer. Prioritization will be mixed in with their allocations and those early reservation holders. Don’t fall for it. BTW, I would also switch dealers, again, you might still be an early order at another dealer. Call and find out.

DirtFreak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford F250
Occupation
Retired ( paper maker )
The Dealer has no control of whether you get an invitation or not. This is coming from Ford. While the dealer has an input on priorities, it doesn’t mean all 25 are getting to the front of the line. Don’t pay the markup.

There is no such thing as a “referral” from the dealer. Prioritization will be mixed in with their allocations and those early reservation holders. Don’t fall for it. BTW, I would also switch dealers, again, you might still be an early order at another dealer. Call and find out.

Plain and simple black mail by these dealers!

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Plain and simple black mail !
Ford has so much control over this. When they find out about dealers doing this crap they can scale back their Lightning Allocations and give Reservation holders the opportunity to find a new dealer or pay this dealers markup knowing they are only getting 2 Lightnings per year.

But they won’t do it.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
It's incredibly interesting, watching the drama unfold that this first world predicament spawns. ??

I don't mean that disparaging in any way. Certainly not directed at anyone on this forum.
But if you drill down to what is really fueling it all, it's nothing more than a powerful example of Supply & Demand & Now-Gratification-consumerism.

A manufacturer has come up with a gizmo that instantly creates a demand that far surpasses the products availability. As a result we see the human approach to solving the dilemma and/or profiting from it, using all kinds of clever strategies.

I'm an old geezer. I tend to ponder more than I used to. I want me one of these amazing new gizmos. I'm guessing I will have one eventually if my desire doesn't wain. But regardless, I'm enjoying the show already. :)

Obi

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150

I've read the dealer instructions pretty carefully. Referral might be the wrong word, but there is no way to get a 2022 without having the dealer send your name to Ford as a 'priority' to be eligible for an order. As someone posted below, this is supply and demand vs now gratification for me. But I think financially it's a wash for me. I think my 2019 will be worth $10-15K less in 12-18 months than it is now. So I maybe get a lightning in 2022 or 2023/2024 for the same price.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
While I definitely don't trust all dealers motives, be nice, people. I was nice to my dealer, who I've never given business to before. They called me back the next day and offered me a priority spot just because I was a "decent human being". Sales manager said so many people are grumpy and harassing them with incorrect information that he really appreciated someone kind, and not expecting favors.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I've read the dealer instructions pretty carefully. Referral might be the wrong word, but there is no way to get a 2022 without having the dealer send your name to Ford as a 'priority' to be eligible for an order. As someone posted below, this is supply and demand vs now gratification for me. But I think financially it's a wash for me. I think my 2019 will be worth $10-15K less in 12-18 months than it is now. So I maybe get a lightning in 2022 or 2023/2024 for the same price.
That is not the case as dealers have a choice whether to prioritize customers or not. Ford already has your information from when you Reserved. Here is the email from my dealer which Ipurchased several Ford from:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Dealer calling people that have a Lightning reservation 450CA4B0-D64C-4543-9C9A-1ADC2300FDE9

If your dealer chooses to go the prioritization route it doesn’t guarantee an allocation for those prioritized, again that is in the memo sent out by Ford.

Now it could also be my dealer telling me this as they have prioritized others ahead of me… who knows….

Last edited:

Obi

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
That is not the case as dealers have a choice whether to prioritize customers or not. Ford already has your information from when you Reserved. Here is the email from my dealer which Ipurchased several Ford from:

450CA4B0-D64C-4543-9C9A-1ADC2300FDE9.jpeg

If your dealer chooses to go the prioritization route it doesn’t guarantee an allocation for those prioritized, again that is in the memo sent out by Ford.

Now it could also be my dealer telling me this as they have prioritized others ahead of me… who knows….
The dealer has a ton of power. I have a copy of the dealer instructions. You won't get a 2022 unless the dealer has forwarded your name as a 'priority' by midnight last night (12/17).
Sponsored