• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Offers You Extra Power For $995 (For MachE GT)

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
100% agree. The above assumes some new development not a deliberate reduction in performance to milk you existing customer base
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is an outstanding development by Ford. Patiently waiting on my Lightning power upgrade…. Take my monies!!!

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I don’t see an issue. Ford Performance sells tunes as does the aftermarket. Tesla has been doing this for years. Where’s my available power upgrade for my Lightning @Ford Motor Company 😬
Volvo sells the Polestar tune (now Polestar Engineered tune) for its vehicles. Nothing wrong with a software accessory.

Last edited:

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
This extra MachE performance upgrade is exactly the same as the $302 dollars Ford collected from me on my 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. When I bought the Boss 302, one of the two keys was the “Track Key” and it functioned just like the other FOB. $302 and a trip to the dealer to unlock the software got me a bit more low end torque, deactivated the skip shift and an awesome high performance cam idle.
The only difference with the MachE is that Ford directly collects $995 and the dealer misses out on some revenue.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
So this could be extended to other sectors of the economy. To hell with the old fashioned "Hippocratic Oath", rename it to the "Hypocritic Oath" and then pay your doctor more for better care.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So this could be extended to other sectors of the economy. To hell with the old fashioned "Hippocratic Oath", rename it to the "Hypocritic Oath" and then pay your doctor more for better care.
I’m assuming you don’t have any type of internet or TV Subscriptions?

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
I don't get some of the posts here. No ICE engine is sold making its absolute maximum potential power either, every one has additional headroom. Sometimes tuners will unlock some of that at the owner's risk, sometimes manufacturers - who have more data than anyone about their own product - will unlock it AND warranty it.

In this case, if you bought a Mach E GT you were happy with the power offered for the price advertised. If Ford is making more available AND it's only $995 I only see that as a win and look forward to similar on the Lightning. I'll happily pay it, I was happy with the truck as purchased and would be happier still if a little extra power were available, particularly if it's similarly priced and warrantied.

I don't get the pearl clutching and handwringing at all. Don't like it, don't pay.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I’m assuming you don’t have any type of internet or TV Subscriptions?
Sure, I have a bunch of crappy options and once I choose one, the company gets to take as much advantage of me as they can so yeah, it's the same think. Once you sign up, it's your problem.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I don't get some of the posts here. No ICE engine is sold making its absolute maximum potential power either, every one has additional headroom. Sometimes tuners will unlock some of that at the owner's risk, sometimes manufacturers - who have more data than anyone about their own product - will unlock it AND warranty it.

In this case, if you bought a Mach E GT you were happy with the power offered for the price advertised. If Ford is making more available AND it's only $995 I only see that as a win and look forward to similar on the Lightning. I'll happily pay it, I was happy with the truck as purchased and would be happier still if a little extra power were available, particularly if it's similarly priced and warrantied.

I don't get the pearl clutching and handwringing at all. Don't like it, don't pay.
Agreed, I don't like it and won't pay.

Sponsored

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
Ford has offered performance tunes on its ICE engines for a while, including the F150, so this is neither a new concept and nor is it unique to its electric vehicles. Other EV manufacturers like Polestar, Mercedes and more offer some significant optional power upgrades.

So we're right back to don't like, don't pay, both at the point of purchase and at the point where an upgrade might become available. If you don't like the price to performance ratio of the truck as it leaves the factory then buy a different one where you do. if you don't want to pay to unlock some extra performance, then don't.

Now I'm perfectly happy with the roughly 600 hp and roughly 800 lb/ft your truck and mine came with, but were Ford to offer power for around the same price as the Mach E upgrade, however, I'd be all over it and would see it as a positive, not a negative.

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
As many have said, manufacturers have been doing this for years. No vehicle has ever come standard with its max performance. That is what sparked the hot rodders and the turning culture. Ford sells or sold performance packs for the Mustang and the F-150 for years. Hell they sold the stuff to add to a GT that gave you the same power as the Bullet. For those saying that Ford purposely detuned the MME just to sell this , if that was the case why did for not offer it literally at the beginning. It's a one time purchase, not a subscription. It's not your money, why do you care? You purchased a promised performance level, that level was delivered and they found a way to deliver more. Lets say they did "detune" it.. They still delivered on what they promised and are now offering a little more. It is a slippery slope, but honestly what is not a subscription today? Some people think it is dumb to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB League Pass. I want to watch the Steelers and Pirates play every game, but I do not live in an area where I can do that. So, I pay for it, but I am 100% cool with it and can afford it. Let others spend their money how they see fit, don't like it, dont pay for it. What gives one joy, may not for you and that is ok!

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
As many have said, manufacturers have been doing this for years. No vehicle has ever come standard with its max performance. That is what sparked the hot rodders and the turning culture. Ford sells or sold performance packs for the Mustang and the F-150 for years. Hell they sold the stuff to add to a GT that gave you the same power as the Bullet. For those saying that Ford purposely detuned the MME just to sell this , if that was the case why did for not offer it literally at the beginning. It's a one time purchase, not a subscription. It's not your money, why do you care? You purchased a promised performance level, that level was delivered and they found a way to deliver more. Lets say they did "detune" it.. They still delivered on what they promised and are now offering a little more. It is a slippery slope, but honestly what is not a subscription today? Some people think it is dumb to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB League Pass. I want to watch the Steelers and Pirates play every game, but I do not live in an area where I can do that. So, I pay for it, but I am 100% cool with it and can afford it. Let others spend their money how they see fit, don't like it, dont pay for it. What gives one joy, may not for you and that is ok!
I was with you 100% until you said that you pay good money to watch the Pirates. 😳
Sponsored