Ford performance tune for standard range lightning

Teghogh

First Name
ramtin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Given that the SR and ER share the same dual motor setup, achieving the extra HP of the ER would just require a software tune similar to what is being offered on other models through ford performance like Mustang and ICE F150s. Does anyone know about the availability of this option?
ford performance tune is reasonably cheap and maintains warranty which is a huge plus compare to other available options on ICE models and it would be great to see it on the lightning as well.
Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
It is kind of hard to imagine what I would do with more horsepower. There is very little that I could legally do with it, I really can’t imagine this thing on a track. I have had a few people challenge me in loud souped up ICE cars for some reason, and I leave them in the dust just pulling out of the stoplight safely and normally. If I gave into my inner teenager all I would do would be to wear out my tires faster.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Ford doesn't seem to nerf software between models as much as Tesla/others. If you have the hardware, typically, it works.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Still so awesome when some douchey soup-coupe tries to give me a go. I love it…wish I could see their eyes as they watch my Lightning take off like Buck Rogers. ( or Wilma Deering if u like )

Sponsored

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
I don't think SR can be tuned as the smaller battery lacks enough current to supply to motor for additional power

Even somehow the software is unlocked, physical fuse will blown due to over current protection

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
You need more Amps to generate more kW output and more HP. The third pack on the ER trucks gives those extra Amps

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Still so awesome when some douchey soup-coupe tries to give me a go. I love it…wish I could see their eyes as they watch my Lightning take off like Buck Rogers. ( or Wilma Deering if u like )
No Twiki? When you press the accelerator hard, the external speaker will play "Bedeep bedeep bedeep!".

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I beat everything on the road already, why would I need MORE horses?? Naw, not for me.

SR is plenty. PLENTY.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
BTW, if the Ford batteries are good for 1,000 charge cycles (0-100%) before degradation (some estimates put it between 1500 and 2000 charge cycles), then...

If a full 100% charge on an SR battery equates to 240 miles (will vary depending on many factors such as driving style, terrain, ambient temperature, etc.), that then equates to 240,000 miles driven before battery degradation.

Of course many factors can speed battery degradation, for example:

For longer life, more charge cycles, it is recommended not to charge an EV battery beyond 80% of its state of charge, or below 20% of its state of discharge, as degradation is amplified outside of these limits, due to the physics of the Nernst Equation.

Fast charging also speeds degradation because of the heat generated.

Summing degradation (to 80% of original capacity) all up in a chart:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford performance tune for standard range lightning Battery-Degradation-Simple-Schematic

In lab tests:

Battery lifespans range from 500 cycles to 20,000 cycles, depending on conditions.

The best conditions for long life spans of lithium ion batteries are using LFP chemistry, charging within a limited range, at low charge-discharge rates (C-rates) at a stable temperature of around 25C (77F). This might be associated with a decline rate for batteries of around 2% per 1,000 cycles.

For a deeper dive into the research and results, see:

https://batteryarchive.org/resources.html

and

https://www.mdpi.com/journal/batteries

In real life, reportedly a Lightning owner had about 100k miles with only a 3% drop in capacity.

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/03/93000-mile-ford-f-150-lightning-has-battery-health-of-97-percent/

Sounds good to me.

EDIT: also:

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
Just a data point on battery degradation. I have a 2-day FDRS license to upgrade modules, so I ran their Battery Status tool. After 52,000 miles, mine is still showing 100%. (396.4 Ah capacity). I charge to 80% on a daily basis but will always go to 100% before long trips and have used DCFC on those trips (many times). I'm not very concerned about battery life any more.
Sponsored