• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Sunroofs Suck - Seal Issue Discovered

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
While doing this once again while driving, my wife noticed the rubber bellows on the drivers side under the sliding glass section was flopping around while we traversed rough roads.
I noticed this same issue this week and put it back just as you described. Wonder how long it was like that?
Sponsored

Ice No More?

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, F450
Occupation
Aviation Professional
I discovered another moonroof related issue, for weeks I have been hearing a rattling sound while the sunscreen is closed, often when I open the screen halfway or fully the rattle goes away.

While doing this once again while driving, my wife noticed the rubber bellows on the drivers side under the sliding glass section was flopping around while we traversed rough roads.

This was the source of the rattle, after arriving home, I took a closer look and sure enough the upper lip of the bellows untucked from the rigid plastic at the edge of the glass panel, I tucked it back into position, took the truck for another pothole adventure and 93% of the rattles are gone!!
I didn't have the rattle but I was showing a curious co-worker my truck and we opened the screen to look at the moonroof and that piece fell out. Pushed back up and will tuck back in this weekend. Did you use RTV or someting to keep it in place?

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
My 2018 Lariat, 2021 Platinum, and 2022 Lightning have all had the rubber bellows on the driver side come lose and I had to tuck them all back in. I never used any silicon or any lubricants. It usually stays put once tucked back in.

Ice No More?

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, F450
Occupation
Aviation Professional
My 2018 Lariat, 2021 Platinum, and 2022 Lightning have all had the rubber bellows on the driver side come lose and I had to tuck them all back in. I never used any silicon or any lubricants. It usually stays put once tucked back in.
Thanks for that feedback, i will try that before going crazy with RTV.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for that feedback, i will try that before going crazy with RTV.
I also have had good luck with just pushing back into place, try using the bare minimum of RTV.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I discovered another moonroof related issue, for weeks I have been hearing a rattling sound while the sunscreen is closed, often when I open the screen halfway or fully the rattle goes away.

This was the source of the rattle, after arriving home, I took a closer look and sure enough the upper lip of the bellows untucked from the rigid plastic at the edge of the glass panel, I tucked it back into position, took the truck for another pothole adventure and 93% of the rattles are gone!!
Yooo I've got that rattle as well and I narrowed it down to the sunroof screen, but because I never open it, that's as far as my investigation has got me. I'm definitely going to check it next time I get a chance, because that rattling is super irritating.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
And I couldn't care less about looking through the glass in the roof, and I keep the shade closed and try very hard to forget that I even have a moonroof... that to me is only a liability, and something that requires additional maintenance. Adding insult to the inconvenience, the fact that I couldn't get this truck with an extended battery without having to take the extra hole in the roof.
My sentiments precisely. I didn't want a moonroof and regarded it as an excuse for Ford to jack up the price. Mine hasn't leaked or rattled yet in limited testing while still at low mileage, and except for initial testing, showing to friends, and driving around for a couple of weeks while the 3M window tint on it set,*** I haven't operated the shade or the moonroof - it's gonna stay closed for the life of the vehicle. The JerryRig video on assembling F-150 Lightnings at least assured me that if they're awake and on the job during QC, my truck wouldn't come leaking: So, my roof didn't come leaking and I just hope it stays that way if I ~never open the damn thing (never opened the moonroof in 16.5 years of owning a 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid-same deal there, it came with the vehicle, IIRC).

*** The tint was applied just to help reduce interior heating whenever the vehicle sits in the sun in Texas. Even so, when it's 106 deg F out, if I put my hand up on the shade, I can feel a lot of heat coming through to the shade - instead of having a nice, all-white reflective (and better insulated?) roof that bounces rays back rather than letting them into the truck through the moonroof.

Last edited:

astolleis

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Atlas Blue Lighting

Thanks TaxmanHog, I've been looking for what i think is this rattle for a month and not found it yet. I now have someplace to look. In my truck, when the screen closed sometimes there is a rattle. I had figured out if the screen is open no rattle.

To others thanks for pictures of moonroof seal, also another thing to keep an eye on.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I open and close the shade and the roof every week. (or I do when it's cool enough outside) So far so good, no rattling, no leaks, less noise in the rain than our Honda Pilot (I can hear the rain draining through the pillars).
Sponsored