• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Adapter Question

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
It's not a model year thing, as much as it is a next generation vehicle thing. T3 truck for example. That's why all the news says "new EVs".
The T3 project is something to look forward to, if they come through with all the things they have been talking about, aerodynamics, lighter weight, etc.

Still wondering about the NACS thing being implemented on new EVs.

We'll probably still need to carry along adapters on long trips since many (most?) commercial charge stations don't have the NACS / Tesla plug and CCS has been rolled out already, still some out there with CHAdeMO too.

Then there is this for federally funded chargers as of 2023 which promotes/requires the CCS standard, but also allows for other types of connectors:

EV Charging Minimum Standards Rule
FHWA, with support from the Joint Office of Energy & Transportation, unveiled new national standards for federally funded EV chargers in February 2023. These new standards aim to ensure that charging is a predictable and reliable experience for EV drivers. This includes ensuring that drivers can easily find a charger, do not need multiple apps and/or accounts to charge, chargers work when drivers need them to, and are designed to be compatible in the future with forward-looking charging capabilities. The rule establishes minimum technical standards for charging stations, including required number of charging ports, connector types, power level, availability, payment methods, uptime/reliability, EV charger infrastructure network connectivity, and interoperability, among other standards and requirements.

https://www.transportation.gov/rural/ev/toolkit/ev-basics/charging-speeds

Number of Charging Ports

This final rule establishes a requirement for the number of ports at a charging station. Any time charging stations are installed there is a required minimum of 4 ports, notwithstanding the type of port (Direct Current Fast Charger (DCFC) or alternating current (AC) Level 2 or a combination of DCFC and AC Level 2). Additionally, in all instances when a DCFC charging station is installed along and designed to serve users of designated AFCs, there must be at least four network-connected DCFC charging ports.

Connector Types

This final rule establishes a requirement that each DCFC port must have a Combined Charging System (CCS) Type 1 connectors. This final rule also allows DCFC charging ports to have other non-proprietary connectors so long as each DCFC charging port is capable of charging a CCS-compliant vehicle.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...cle-infrastructure-standards-and-requirements
Sponsored

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
I see that you can purchase a Tesla adapter for the lighting on Amazon. Can you use that adapter today to charge at a Tesla Supercharger location?
NO, it does not. The available Tesla to J1772 adapters are for Level 2 AC charging only. Because NACS uses the same pins for AC and DC, while CCS uses the J1772 pints for AC and different pins for DC, currently-available adapters route the Tesla pins to the J1772 AC pins, leaving the DC pins on the CCS connector not connected. Attempting a DC fast charge through one of these adapters would put high-voltage DC on the J1772 AC pins, possibly damaging the vehicle's on-board battery chargers. Luckily, the Tesla Supercharger won't recognize the vehicle and will refuse to start charging.

I DO recommend that you carry a Tesla to J1772 adapter on your truck. You can get TeslaTap Mini that is rated at 80A (the maximum Level 2 charging current for an ER lightning). For SR Lightnings, there is a 60A TeslaTap Mini or a 50A TeslaTap that save a few bucks while still handling the maximum charging current the SR battery can handle.

These adapters let you charge at practically all Tesla destination chargers and other locations with Tesla Level 2 chargers. At least at some hotels, I've found that the Tesla chargers can deliver more charging power (often in the 9.6-11.5kW range) than the J1772 chargers (often 5.6-7.2kW). Having the TeslaTap on-board lets you take advantage of faster overnight charging at these stops.

The forthcoming Ford/Tesla NACS to CCS adapter will almost certainly connect the NACS pins to the CCS DC pins (and the NACS signaling pins to the J1772 signaling pins) for fast-charging only. This will leave the J1772 AC pins unconnected, so the adapter won't support Level 2 charging from NACS chargers. Software updates to the charger, the truck, and possibly conversion chips in the adapter will allow the truck to authenticate with the Tesla Supercharger, confirm payment, and start charging.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
Still wondering about the NACS thing being implemented on new EVs.

We'll probably still need to carry along adapters on long trips since many (most?) commercial charge stations don't have the NACS / Tesla plug and CCS has been rolled out already, still some out there with CHAdeMO too.

Then there is this for federally funded chargers as of 2023 which promotes/requires the CCS standard, but also allows for other types of connectors:
My read of the Federal rules is that the government subsidy can be used for new CCS-only chargers, and for new chargers that have other plugs as long as each also has a CCS plug, but cannot be used for new NACS-only or CHAdeMO-only chargers. The recent White House statement supports this, stating that Superchargers with both CCS and NACS plugs would qualify for subsidy.

Several charging networks have already stated that they will be adding NACS plugs to chargers going forward. As far as I know, Electrify America hasn't stated if they will do so.

I think for this transitional period (from now until probably the end of the decade), everyone will want to carry adapters on their vehicles. NACS vehicles will want a CCS to NACS adapter for fast charging and a J1772 to NACS adapter for Level 2 charging. CCS vehicles will want a NACS to J1772 adapter for Level 2 charging, and (if the carmaker has an agreement with Tesla like Ford and GM do now), a NACS to CCS adapter for fast charging.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
My read of the Federal rules is that the government subsidy can be used for new CCS-only chargers, and for new chargers that have other plugs as long as each also has a CCS plug, but cannot be used for new NACS-only or CHAdeMO-only chargers. The recent White House statement supports this, stating that Superchargers with both CCS and NACS plugs would qualify for subsidy.

Several charging networks have already stated that they will be adding NACS plugs to chargers going forward. As far as I know, Electrify America hasn't stated if they will do so.

I think for this transitional period (from now until probably the end of the decade), everyone will want to carry adapters on their vehicles. NACS vehicles will want a CCS to NACS adapter for fast charging and a J1772 to NACS adapter for Level 2 charging. CCS vehicles will want a NACS to J1772 adapter for Level 2 charging, and (if the carmaker has an agreement with Tesla like Ford and GM do now), a NACS to CCS adapter for fast charging.
I agree, that's how I read them too.

Having a bunch of competing 'standards' benefits no one but the manufacturers, and adapter makers, lol.

Tesla stand to make a lot of $$ from being first, and having a better plug/receptacle.
The Aptera is going with the NACS/Tesla plug/receptacle when it comes to market because they deem it better than CCS.

Europe has gone with CCS and Tesla's there come with the CCS receptacle, I read somewhere.

The competing standards is a definite deterrent for EV purchase for some who want it to be as simple as pumping hydrocarbons.
Sponsored