• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FordPass v5 unresponsiveness resolved by removing saved location

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
Not sure if this will help anyone (or whether it's already been addressed). Over the past few weeks my FordPass has been erratic and unresponsive. Showing wrong SoC, not letting me change charge parameters, things like that. I noticed recently that this behavior only happened whenever the truck is at home, and the app would work normally whenever the truck is away from home. I deleted my saved location (which had been carried over from the old app) and the problem has gone away. Then I just re-added the location and all is good and the app is working fine again.

To delete saved locations, in FordPass go to the Energy tab, then go to Target Charge, then select the saved location, and in there you can delete it. Ironically I couldn't do this while at home (due to the unresponsiveness), so I had to do drive away somewhere for the app to let me do it.

Hope somebody finds this helpful.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Great discovery, I've stuck this thread for awareness to the members.

Looking forward to the next BUG FIX release of Version 5

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Thank you. I will test this today. The new FordPass app has been quite challenging.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Trying now. I was about to post a question if anyone else thought the new App is pretty much, amazingly, actually worse at everything than it already was, SOC, location, etc. Ford has SOOOO far to go in this area. About one out of every five times I try to stop charging from the App, am I successful. There are no exception messages, it just stops trying.

Question is, will it actually delete it or will it just sit there sliding the blue bar across the page...

My CSP, doesn't connect as of recently either... It's working, but I can't connect to it. This stuff is like first generation Google home products, but I guess it's to be expected. Ford is not getting recent Stanford grads into their development teams so we should probably expect it to be even worse...

*** so, as expected, it didn't actually delete the location. I may just delete and re-install.

*** That didn't work either. I just deleted the location in the truck itself, and now have deleted it and rebooted my phone. We'll see what it does this time, or if you really just need to be somewhere else, which would be pretty hilarious. Someone at Ford got a participation trophy for this one...

***after all of that, it did not reacquire the location info from the cached data on the phone, or from the Truck. It now knows what the charge level is on the truck. for the first time in two or three days.

As someone that works with development teams on SRE in a fortune 50 company, this is surprisingly bad work. Nothing remotely this poorly realized would get out the door where I am. It's kind of facinating as it's almost like someone that didn't want to do this kind of work was tasked with it. It definitely makes one nervous about the whole product.

Several of the apps for Chinese made solar products I use, while also a challenge at times, STILL work better than this app. That is saying something. If Ford doesn't step up, I'm not sure even they will survive once affordable Chinese EV's hit the shores. Yeah, they are being subsidized, but I hope they don't go down without a fight. Quality like this makes it look like they are going to... It's sad, because this family, not mine, my G/F's, mainly buy Fords. (The Lightning, two Mach-E's, an Edge, and still have a 77' Jade Green Metallic Crew Cab F250 that was bought new, by her father.) I'm pulling for them, but it doesn't look good. I'm afraid it's going to take the middle class with them. Think about that in a few months when you are voting. Building cars, built this country.

Bordering on a rant, but does anyone realize that Ford doesn't have a vehicle, other than the Maverick, that realistically starts at under $30k ? GM has seven vehicles that list under $30k, and four of them, under $25k. Ford doesn't just need an EV that starts under $25k, they just need a vehicle that does. (other than the maverick)

Last edited:

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Wow. I also have been seeing problems with FordPass remote connectivity and charge status etc.

My daughter took the truck down to Virginia about 300 miles south of our home. I noticed the connectivity started working while she was down there. When she came back home the connectivity stopped working again…and then I stumbled across this thread and I deleted the Home location from the FordPass app and within a few minutes I saw connected features start working again very odd!

I am thinking perhaps there is a SW glitch that hoses up the TCU when it’s trying to get GPS location - that seems to be the only common thread between the two - hopefully @Ford Motor Company has some ideas on this.

Sponsored

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
Nice theory, except my truck doesn't even have a "home" location anymore, When I tried to set it to charge to only 90% at home I had to created a home location, but I couldn't call it "home" because the truck stays there's already a location called that, it just doesn't show it anywhere, so I can't delete it.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I deleted my saved location (which had been carried over from the old app) and the problem has gone away.
Thanks! Just like @TaxmanHog's editing the charge station name a wee bit, your trick worked for me and then it didn't.

I had been charging for some time at 48 A, ~10.7 kW output from my FCSP. Then I changed my target from 50% to 80% using the slider at the top of the ENERGY tab FP page. And I noticed I was charging at a rate quite a bit in excess of 48 A. I added 38 kWh (29% charge, from 51% to 80%) to my truck in 2 hr 23 min at an average power input of ~15.9 kW (my garage was around 87 deg so perhaps the FCSP was slowing down because it was getting hot).

Then I went for a 171-mile round trip, ending up with 29% charge left, with FP set to charge my vehicle back to 50% SOC. I tried your deleting Target Charge location trick and it seemed to work. Took 2 hr 36 min to supply 27 kWh according to FordPass. That would require a 10.4 kW input per hour. Just what I wanted.

However, on Saturday I went for a 9-mile round trip, which dropped my HVB a very few percent. FordPass dinged me that I had fully recharged to 50% 11 minutes after starting, adding 2.8 kWh. That would add 15.3 kW in one hour of charging at that rate, so it seems like I've lost my desired 48 A charging rate again.

My loose impressions from playing around with deleting Target Charge locations are that even when you manage to change the charging rate to something closer to what you'd like, what FordPass reports you've changed the charging rate to doesn't always agree with the kW being delivered. It also seems to take some time for Max Charging Rate change requests to be realized through FordPass (make the trip from your smartphone to being actuated in the truck). It seems to be something of a crapshoot as to when a requested change will actually show up (if ever) and take effect in your truck.

Would be nice to actually have a FordPass app that can actually deliver on what it promises.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ford Pass #Voodoo

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Unresponsiveness is back again. Can't stop charging from the app again. They definitely have some sort of bug, maybe related to communication with the CSP? Or is this happening with other chargers too?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Unresponsiveness is back again. Can't stop charging from the app again. They definitely have some sort of bug, maybe related to communication with the CSP? Or is this happening with other chargers too?
Start/stop of charging is handled by the trucks OBCC {on board charging controller}

Communications are definitely the issue, which segment is the question, phone/app, Ford Cloud, Trucks telematics unit?

Sponsored
OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
Same here. My "fix" lasted a few days, and now it's worse than before. Unresponsive all the time, home and away from home.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Same here. My "fix" lasted a few days, and now it's worse than before. Unresponsive all the time, home and away from home.
Are we maybe not getting the "Home" location right somehow?
Sponsored