• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
I had searched in vain for a front hitch for my 2023 Lariat. Several months ago, Garrett Blake posted photos here of a hitch he had fabricated. It looked solid, I asked (begged, really) if he’d make one for me, and he agreed. Bless him. The hitch arrived recently, installed in about 15 minutes, and works like a charm. It is engineered with precision, built like a tank, and will meet all my needs for boat trailer maneuvering, bike rack carrying, surf fishing gear hauling, and all the rest. Like any hand-made work of art, it wasn’t inexpensive, but it absolutely is worth every penny.

Here are some photos:

Ford F-150 Lightning Front Hitch Installed on Lightning - Good news IMG_0874
Ford F-150 Lightning Front Hitch Installed on Lightning - Good news IMG_0875
Ford F-150 Lightning Front Hitch Installed on Lightning - Good news IMG_0873
Sponsored

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Mechanic for American Airlines. GSE (ground equipment) 37 years. Worked on everything from Lawn mowers to Boeing 747's.
Quality or cheap. Can't have them both.
Quality right there! Looks good too !

OP
OP
Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
Quality or cheap. Can't have them both.
Quality right there! Looks good too !
I believe that Mr. Blake is trained as an engineer. The design of the hitch shows meticulous attention to detail, right down to the smallest features. Even the hand-made shipping crate was a model of careful thought and execution.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I think I want to buy one for my ‘22 Lariat. How do I make contact? What was the cost?

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
Wow, that thing is gorgeous! That is true craftmanship right there.

Sponsored

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Do you have any idea what the tongue weight rating is?
Do you keep the tow hook loop adapters on and only remove the hitch when not in use?
yes a cleaver idea without any vehicle modifications.
Rick

OP
OP
Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
Do you have any idea what the tongue weight rating is?
Do you keep the tow hook loop adapters on and only remove the hitch when not in use?
yes a cleaver idea without any vehicle modifications.
Rick
Yes. I keep the brackets/adapters on and remove the hitch when I know I won’t be needing it. It’s very simple and smart design. Also, I use locking pins to hold the hitch to the brackets - I don’t want anyone to walk away with this beauty. I do not know the tongue weight. My uses do not come close to pushing the probable limits. I’d encourage you to write Mr. Blake to see if he’s done a calculation.

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
Looks quite skookum! However it will/can impede front sensors and cameras. I'm sure you've found this thusfar.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This thread jogged a memory from my past. 40 years ago, I was pulling my bass boat with my Jeep CJ and decided I wanted to be able to go camping on my fishing trips. Got rid of the CJ and bought an Econoline cargo van that I made into a camper. I was used to the ease in backing a trailer with the CJ. Great visibility and short wheelbase. The van was horrible in both respects. So I fabbed a front hitch bracket thinking that was the ticket for backing my boat in and out.

I tried it exactly one time before I figured out unhooking and re-hitching was way more of a pain in the ass than learning how to back up a trailer the right way using the side mirrors. Never used the front hitch again.

OP
OP
Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
This thread jogged a memory from my past. 40 years ago, I was pulling my bass boat with my Jeep CJ and decided I wanted to be able to go camping on my fishing trips. Got rid of the CJ and bought an Econoline cargo van that I made into a camper. I was used to the ease in backing a trailer with the CJ. Great visibility and short wheelbase. The van was horrible in both respects. So I fabbed a front hitch bracket thinking that was the ticket for backing my boat in and out.

I tried it exactly one time before I figured out unhooking and re-hitching was way more of a pain in the ass than learning how to back up a trailer the right way using the side mirrors. Never used the front hitch again.
Thst’s something to be proud of for sure. I find a front hitch very useful for precise maneuvering of a boat trailer into and out of my boathouse. I’ve got about 2” clearance on either side after folding the mirrors in and, to make things more interesting, the boathouse and ramp are not on the same axis; the ramp is angled about 15 degrees relative to the boathouse. So, one has to turn within that tight space. And to make it even more interesting, the length of the boathouse is about 1” shorter than the trailer and boat. When leaving the boat in the boathouse, I remove the hitch from the trailer tongue so front and rear doors can close. Even after many years of successful trailering with trucks and SUVs, I welcome the advantages provided by a front hitch. Beats the heck out of crunching transom or trailer into a wall or post. It’s also a great place for rod holders, cooler racks, and bike racks when pulling a trailer.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thst’s something to be proud of for sure. I find a front hitch very useful for precise maneuvering of a boat trailer into and out of my boathouse. I’ve got about 2” clearance on either side after folding the mirrors in and, to make things more interesting, the boathouse and ramp are not on the same axis; the ramp is angled about 15 degrees relative to the boathouse. So, one has to turn within that tight space. And to make it even more interesting, the length of the boathouse is about 1” shorter than the trailer and boat. When leaving the boat in the boathouse, I remove the hitch from the trailer tongue so front and rear doors can close. Even after many years of successful trailering with trucks and SUVs, I welcome the advantages provided by a front hitch. Beats the heck out of crunching transom or trailer into a wall or post. It’s also a great place for rod holders, cooler racks, and bike racks when pulling a trailer.
Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t my intention to diss your use case. What you’ve done looks fantastic and useful for all the things you plan to use it for. I’m just an old guy and it made me smile that your post jogged this memory!

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
Add any of the accessories the OP spoke of, and therein lies the issue.
Sponsored