• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Front sensor blocked

kendotelie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
So I've got a new Lightning and I'm already back here asking for info...
I made the trip home from the dealer (3 hous away) with no issues until I pulled into the driveway.
i get the error that the front sensor is unavailable, front sensor blocked. I checked the FB Lightning group and a clear pattern I could see is that a the other members reporting this are new buyers that purchased within the last couple of weeks. Any know of a DIY solution or is the dealer the answer?
Ford F-150 Lightning Front sensor blocked 1701872668100

Ford F-150 Lightning Front sensor blocked 1701872616532

MODERATOR ADDS:
Ford F-150 Lightning Front sensor blocked 1701872565519
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Don't know of a DIY solution, but make sure to use the built in reporting feature on the sync screen to give FORD a verbal report of the problem, send it and the system will also tag/upload your truck DIAGS for them to analyze and determine a solution, it would be great if this is a software glitch in recent builds, but this might also be a wiring issue or device failure.

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I have the exact same problem with my two week old truck but I got the error after the car wash so I suspected water got in there

OP
OP

kendotelie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I have the exact same problem with my two week old truck but I got the error after the car wash so I suspected water got in there
Maybe. As I was pulling into the dealer, the salesman was bringing the truck in from a car wash

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Maybe. As I was pulling into the dealer, the salesman was bringing the truck in from a car wash
So I’d say it’s either water or the action of the car wash throwing off the sensor. Definitely a problem though.

Sponsored

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER (Sept ‘23 build)
Happened last week in mine but hadn’t been thought a car wash since I purchased it on 10/21. I was pulling up to a red light at an intersection and it gave me the proximity warning, cameras came on and then the obstruction warning a little bit later….

hasn’t happened since and I drove it a bunch this past weekend, also went through the car wash and drove a bunch this week…. So hopefully a one time thing!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Now that we have the "Rest of the Story" [/Paul Harvey]

Folks in snow country and torrential rains will experience this problem, the radar unit in the front bumper to the drivers side of the license plate bracket (if you have one) is where it's located, in winter when this gets covered in snow & ice build up, the radar can't see ahead.

Odd that it might be affected by the water droplets from a car wash, but might be the case.

Next time this happens, stop the truck, wipe down the area and proceed to drive, hopefully the issue goes away.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I've had the right front sensor give warnings since I drove it home over a year ago. Took it in once and they claimed they could not replicate UNTIL I was on my way to pick it up. Gave the error as soon as I started pulling away from the dealership. They said they would need the truck for a week to fix if it happened again :rolleyes:

I find it more of an annoyance then a real problem, so I will wait until I take it in for all the CSPs to have it fixed.

BTW, no snow here in SATX!

OP
OP

kendotelie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I'm leaning towards a software issue. Super weird that trucks purchased in the last two weeks seem to be impacted by this...I caught wind of a few reddit threads on the subject too, all recent purchases

Sponsored

Ilovetrucks

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transit
I bought two Lightnings a few weeks ago that were fresh on the lot. One does the front sensor thing a lot, the other does it only occasionally, but it is a nuisance for both of them. Seems like a new issue on recent builds?

What's the best way to get this fixed properly? I don't have much confidence that the dealer will be able to do much as it is not consistent (I.e. it doesn't do it every time, sometimes will do it constantly for a few days and then not do it at all for a few days).

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Seems like a new issue on recent builds?

What's the best way to get this fixed properly? I don't have much confidence that the dealer will be able to do much as it is not consistent (I.e. it doesn't do it every time, sometimes will do it constantly for a few days and then not do it at all for a few days).

You're probably right, so start with a REPORT of the issue via the sync system, the more of you all experiencing this the more likely it wells to the top of the issues pile to be addressed if it's a simple software fix.

It could also be a batch of bad sensors for recent builds, either way make a report so the right folks can get to fixing this.

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I'm leaning towards a software issue. Super weird that trucks purchased in the last two weeks seem to be impacted by this...I caught wind of a few reddit threads on the subject too, all recent purchases
It's not software.

My truck has been doing this on and off (same sensor as yours) for over a year now (since 6 June 22) and I just haven't wanted to take it to the dealer to have them pull the bumper off to fix it. They seem to think (after much discussion) that it's likely a pin has backed out a bit in the harness connector or was never properly seated when the harness was built (or it could be a pin in the sensor itself), or the connector wasn't seated completely during install.

When it was warm all summer I rarely if ever got the alert, now that's it's cooling off I get it everytime I drive, like when approaching a stop sign, or backing out of a parking spot.

I had the truck in for the dash mat, wiper motor, and 23B57 yesterday and told them I was getting tired of the sensor issue...and they told me to book it in anytime and they'd check it out. The delay in getting it fixed has all been on me...my dealership is great and willing to work the problem, I just wasn't willing to bring it in for that. I think I'm ready now.

PACSMAN

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I traded my 22 Lariat SR for a 23 Lariat ER and had this exact problem. After 1 week it was occurring regularly so I brought it in for service. They said they found one of the sensors was "pushed in" which was causing the error. No errors since they made the repair.

I do have another issue with the module that controls vehicle location, but they couldn’t replace that as it is on backorder with no release date.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I traded my 22 Lariat SR for a 23 Lariat ER and had this exact problem. After 1 week it was occurring regularly so I brought it in for service. They said they found one of the sensors was "pushed in" which was causing the error. No errors since they made the repair.

I do have another issue with the module that controls vehicle location, but they couldn’t replace that as it is on backorder with no release date.
That would be even better if it's just the sensor wasn't pushed into the bracket all the way. I didn't consider that. Thanks.
Sponsored