• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk Fault Repair

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Tesla M3
I have a 2023 Lariat Lightning ER. Last while driving home on the highway I suddenly had a dash warning telling me that the frunk was not closed and to safely stop and close it. I had just loaded items in the frunk and I used my fob to close the frunk. When I stopped to take care of the problem the frunk seemed to be completely closed. I thought I would open it and then close it again. However it wouldnā€™t respond to any attempt to open it. I tried to use the manual frunk release in the cabin but it wouldnā€™t completely release so I forced it shut and drove home.
After numerous attempts I finally manually got the frunk to release. The dash now has a Frunk Fault Service warning and a continuous frunk fault icon. I tried several things that I have seen on this forum to see if I could reset the issue but nothing worked so I called my dealer for service. The thing that really irks me, beside the frunk not working, is the dealerā€™s service department telling me that the earliest they can schedule the pickup is January 22! Iā€™m really unhappy that it takes over 3 weeks before they will even begin to look at the truck. Itā€˜s a good thing that I was finally able to get the frunk opened and everything out of it.
Same thing happened to me. Dealer was 3 weeks out. Ridiculous. I just dropped it at the dealership and said its undriveable. They had it 2 1/2 weeks. Ended up being a rodent chewed one of the frunk wires. Replaced the whole latch, $700! Then the ended up breaking the plastic piece that is over the latch. Have waited about 1 month, parts just came in, and they tell me they need my truck for a couple days! Its literally a 15 minute fix!
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
My Frunk will not open without pulling manually. Does the above reset work?
If you are referring to post #8, yes, usually. Try it and let us know.

lerthe61

First Name
Dmytro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, VW
The described steps did not work for me. After the latest update, my frunk starts popping up just a little. So, I hoped I would be able to fix it myself.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The described steps did not work for me. After the latest update, my frunk starts popping up just a little. So, I hoped I would be able to fix it myself.
Hi Dmytro! I can look into your Lightning's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?

MikeT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Try this:

1) Get a helper
2) manually pull release once from the cabin
3) have helper lift the trunk from under the front grab location
4) pull the manually release a second time while theyā€™re lifting up
5) have helper keep lifting and pull A THIRD TIME on the manual release

The trunk should now fully open with the helper lifting it to the top stops

6) Hit the emergency release button

7) Hold the frunk open close button for several seconds until it beeps at you, this sets the fully open point again but probably isnā€™t necessary

8) Hit frunk button

9) Enjoy

10) Complain to ford that this isnā€™t in the manual correctly
Worked great!
Sponsored