• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk Fault Repair

TAPCF

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
Retired HR Director
I have a 2023 Lariat Lightning ER. Last while driving home on the highway I suddenly had a dash warning telling me that the frunk was not closed and to safely stop and close it. I had just loaded items in the frunk and I used my fob to close the frunk. When I stopped to take care of the problem the frunk seemed to be completely closed. I thought I would open it and then close it again. However it wouldnā€™t respond to any attempt to open it. I tried to use the manual frunk release in the cabin but it wouldnā€™t completely release so I forced it shut and drove home.
After numerous attempts I finally manually got the frunk to release. The dash now has a Frunk Fault Service warning and a continuous frunk fault icon. I tried several things that I have seen on this forum to see if I could reset the issue but nothing worked so I called my dealer for service. The thing that really irks me, beside the frunk not working, is the dealerā€™s service department telling me that the earliest they can schedule the pickup is January 22! Iā€™m really unhappy that it takes over 3 weeks before they will even begin to look at the truck. Itā€˜s a good thing that I was finally able to get the frunk opened and everything out of it.
Sponsored

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
My local dealer is two months out for any service. Three weeks would be a huge improvement for them. I find that after pulling the frunk release it's best to pull it a second time all the way out and slowly release tension on the cable.

OP
OP

TAPCF

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired HR Director
Thanks for the advice. I have tried pulling the release two times but havenā€™t slowly released the second time. Also what do you think the reason for the long delay in service? Do these dealers have only one person trained to take care of the few EVā€™s theyā€™ve sold? Is the pay, benefits and working conditions so poor that nobody wants to work for them or stay on after getting the technical training? Just wondering?

The Quiet Man

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 MINI Cooper S, 2023 F-150 Lightning -SOLD
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. Do these dealers have only one person trained to take care of the few EVā€™s theyā€™ve sold? Is the pay, benefits and working conditions so poor that nobody wants to work for them or stay on after getting the technical training? Just wondering?
The short answer to your questions is ā€œYESā€. I live in the same area as you and have experienced the same wait times for service appointments. You will also find knowledgeable help very limited and need to avoid the person that is not certified for BEVā€™s as the advice given may lead to unnecessary complications resulting in further service visits.

Sponsored
OP
OP

TAPCF

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired HR Director
The short answer to your questions is ā€œYESā€. I live in the same area as you and have experienced the same wait times for service appointments. You will also find knowledgeable help very limited and need to avoid the person that is not certified for BEVā€™s as the advice given may lead to unnecessary complications resulting in further service visits.
Unfortunately I am sure that you are right. This type of issue with dealer service really hurts Fordā€™s already poor effort to sell and service EVā€™s. I can understand why so many potential buyers want to avoid dealers and continue to go the route of Tesla and Rivian even if they like a dealer-only EV.

In Iowa the dealer lobby prevents Ford or any auto manufacturer to set up showrooms and sell directly to customers. The direct sell manufacturers have control over sales and service without reliance on both ā€œgood and mediocre or poor dealerships.ā€

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
The dealer I purchased from has much better service, but they a full ER battery charge away. The distance is not as convenient as my local dealer.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
I have a 2023 Lariat Lightning ER. Last while driving home on the highway I suddenly had a dash warning telling me that the frunk was not closed and to safely stop and close it. I had just loaded items in the frunk and I used my fob to close the frunk. When I stopped to take care of the problem the frunk seemed to be completely closed. I thought I would open it and then close it again. However it wouldnā€™t respond to any attempt to open it. I tried to use the manual frunk release in the cabin but it wouldnā€™t completely release so I forced it shut and drove home.
After numerous attempts I finally manually got the frunk to release. The dash now has a Frunk Fault Service warning and a continuous frunk fault icon. I tried several things that I have seen on this forum to see if I could reset the issue but nothing worked so I called my dealer for service. The thing that really irks me, beside the frunk not working, is the dealerā€™s service department telling me that the earliest they can schedule the pickup is January 22! Iā€™m really unhappy that it takes over 3 weeks before they will even begin to look at the truck. Itā€˜s a good thing that I was finally able to get the frunk opened and everything out of it.
Try this:

1) Get a helper
2) manually pull release once from the cabin
3) have helper lift the trunk from under the front grab location
4) pull the manually release a second time while theyā€™re lifting up
5) have helper keep lifting and pull A THIRD TIME on the manual release

The trunk should now fully open with the helper lifting it to the top stops

6) Hit the emergency release button

7) Hold the frunk open close button for several seconds until it beeps at you, this sets the fully open point again but probably isnā€™t necessary

8) Hit frunk button

9) Enjoy

10) Complain to ford that this isnā€™t in the manual correctly

Rickgk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat Standard
Occupation
Retired
Doesnā€™t it seem odd that ANY electric vehicle repair, parts or appointment is ALWAYS 3-4 weeks or months to even get scheduled for repair or ā€œget the partā€ and often times get your vehicle back from the dealer.
If I was a person prone to believing conspiracy theories I might think this is a conspiracy of someone (dealers?) to discourage people from buying electric vehicles for some odd reason.
I donā€™t know. Itā€™s just a thought.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. Allow me to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
@TAPCF I am curious if you have tried @Randall Stephens process and if it helped? Given the number of challenges lately with the Frunk latch it would be good to know if you've had success with it.

OP
OP

TAPCF

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired HR Director
I plan to try this process later on today. I will let everyone know if this actually works.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
ANY electric vehicle repair, parts or appointment is ALWAYS 3-4 weeks or months to even get scheduled for repair or ā€œget the partā€ and often times get your vehicle back from the dealer.
This isn't just ev's, it's all vehicles. Shops can't keep up. Service appointments have been 3 weeks for at least a year now. Basically it's lack of parts and lack of mechanics. Everyone wants free maintenance, this is what happens.

OP
OP

TAPCF

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired HR Director
@TAPCF I am curious if you have tried @Randall Stephens process and if it helped? Given the number of challenges lately with the Frunk latch it would be good to know if you've had success with it.
I wanted to let you and anyone else with this issue that my wife and I tried the @Randall Stephens posted process this morning. Weā€™re happy to report that it worked! The Frunk now opens and closes properly and the Frunk Fault icon is gone. The only warning that popped up when I started the truck after completing the process was a message telling me that the emergency release button in the Frunk had been pushed. Hopefully this Frunk Fault issue is now gone.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I wanted to let you and anyone else with this issue that my wife and I tried the @Randall Stephens posted process this morning. Weā€™re happy to report that it worked! The Frunk now opens and closes properly and the Frunk Fault icon is gone. The only warning that popped up when I started the truck after completing the process was a message telling me that the emergency release button in the Frunk had been pushed. Hopefully this Frunk Fault issue is now gone.
Awesome news! I'll add @Randall Stephens process to my list of tricks for the Lightning.
Sponsored