Frunk open/close button

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
I can not reliably get my Frunk to close using the ridiculously small button under the front hood. Pressing and holding it for 3 seconds seems to work 1 time out of three. Usually nothing happens when I press it once, twice, or one long hold. If I hold it for a long time (5+ seconds), I get a long beep and then nothing happens.

Is there a trick or a setting to make the close button work? Thx.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Interesting. The front driverā€™s door is unlocked, but the other doors are still locked. Iā€™ll test with all doors unlocked vs only the driverā€™s door unlocked. Thanks!!

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So I had a bad seal on the grill of the frunk, and I actually got water into the lights on the inside of the frunk. Turns out the same water intrusion ended up corroding the button contacts to open the frunk. So the dealer had to replace the lights and the button. Not sure if you could be having a similar issue.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Are your doors locked when doing so? You cannot close (or open) the frunk with the physical button when the doors are locked.
This is not true on a '22 Lariat. At least not when I have my phone (PAAK) on me. I can open and close it all day long with the truck locked.

I will note there was a previous discussion on this and I believe it was noted that Pro and XLT wouldn't open, but Lariat and Platinum would as they had an extra bluetooth receiver up front, best I recall.

For your '23 Platinum do you have PAAK set up? Was there perhaps another delete of some sort for the '23 in the bluetooth receiver?

OP
OP

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
This is not true on a '22 Lariat. At least not when I have my phone (PAAK) on me. I can open and close it all day long with the truck locked.

I will note there was a previous discussion on this and I believe it was noted that Pro and XLT wouldn't open, but Lariat and Platinum would as they had an extra bluetooth receiver up front, best I recall.

For your '23 Platinum do you have PAAK set up? Was there perhaps another delete of some sort for the '23 in the bluetooth receiver?

The issue I originally described was definitely resolved when I made sure all the doors were unlocked. So I am happy I at least understand the way it functions (on the XLT). That said, it really doesnā€™t make much sense to prevent the frunk hood from closing (using the button) simply because the car is locked (or partially locked). Clearly the button should not open the frunk when the car is locked, but closing is a different matter...locking the car should not prevent the frunk from being closed.

Thank you to everyone for the help and insightsā€¦.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T

No idea if it was changed in the 23, but mine won't close and I have PAAK enabled.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
The issue I originally described was definitely resolved when I made sure all the doors were unlocked. So I am happy I at least understand the way it functions (on the XLT). That said, it really doesnā€™t make much sense to prevent the frunk hood from closing (using the button) simply because the car is locked (or partially locked). Clearly the button should not open the frunk when the car is locked, but closing is a different matter...locking the car should not prevent the frunk from being closed.

Thank you to everyone for the help and insightsā€¦.
I agree, and literally just came across this issue today. Especially odd is that, with the truck locked, the remote let me open the frunk with the 2x button press, and then kept the truck locked and wouldn't let me use the frunk button to close it. Odd decision on Ford's part.

Reactions: jrp

jplaplante

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT; 2023 Durango; 2018 Leaf
This discussion is super helpful. I have had the same puzzling behavior in my XLT and now I will try the door unlock trick. I agree it's a dumb choice that you cannot close the frunk with the button when the doors are locked.

Sponsored

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I think the idea is to stop you from accidentally locking the keys in the frunk with the doors locked. If you have the doors unlocked, you can always release the frunk from inside the cab.

OP
OP

jrp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Perhaps, but one can still unlock the car doors with the phone app and/or the combo key pad on the door. Plus, one can still lock the keys in the frunk pretty easily. For one example, with the truck unlocked close the frunk with the key inside, then use the door key pad to lock the truck. I often use the quick two key press to lock all the doors when leaving the vehicle.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I could be wrong on the theory, but keep in mind what I noted earlier - I don't think it is anything other then differences in trim levels for the '22's and I'm starting to think it could be some part deletes for the '23. In another thread last year it was determined that the Lariat and Platinum have an additional BLE receiver near or in the frunk area. That makes the difference for the '22 Pro and XLT, and now it seems maybe that was deleted for '23 based on the feedback here.

Driving a '22 Lariat I can open and close my Frunk all day long with the button with the truck locked, with my PAAK in my pocket, no fob anywhere around.

Or maybe Ford did decide there is too much risk in doing so and they just didn't update the SW on the '22 that would prevent me from doing so.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The Frunks operation should allow it to close via button under any circumstance (which it, of course, doesn't). It should only be allowed to be opened via button if all doors are unlocked.

It's a frustrating quirk.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
My ā€˜22 Lightning Lariat was built in June ā€˜22. I understand there is a button in the frunk that will cause it to close. But I have looked carefully for it and canā€™t find it. Where is it and what does it look like?
Sponsored