• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has Anyone Encountered Runaway Throttle?

Ish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 Lariat ER
The cruise adaptive cruise will kick on in parking lots below 15 if it picks up a vehicle in front and as a turn is made the vehicle is no longer in front then it will accelerate to the set speed, usually 15 or 25. Happened to me in my old powerboost but not yet in my lightning.
Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Thatā€™s not expected. You might want to get that checked out. I only use 1-pedal and it definitely can slow-crawl with no problems. I pull into my garage (with two inches to spare on either end) multiple times a day and never felt it lurch or jump.
I tried backing into my garage with 1-pedal last night, and while trying to close those last inches mine "lurched". Tried to feather the pedal, but it would feel "sticky" then lurch an inch. I assumed it was due to 1-pedal and plan to turn off in the future. However, your post makes me wonder if it's a calibration issue.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
This is something I've noticed a few times, it's concerning, and I'm trying to hash out what's actually happening.

After reversing at slow speed (from a parking spot for example) and then shifting into drive, I've felt what appeared to be uncommanded throttle response.

I was in one pedal drive. No automation features were on. It only has happened when selecting drive immediately after reverse at slow speeds.

This morning, after backing out, slowing to a near stop, and selecting drive, it felt like the truck had a significant/disproportionate throttle input that forced me to switch to the brake to control. Even after my foot came off the throttle, I did not feel immediate regen as I would typically expext. The best way I can describe it is it felt like 'lag' like maybe I had throttle in, the truck then starts to accelerate hard, I come off the throttle and it still wants to go as if the truck hadn't caught up yet that my foot was off.

I'm going to try and test this out a bit. I usually back into spots so I haven't seen it much, but easily 3 or 4 times now and each one is startling. Has anyone else had this or knows why this could be happening? I know reverse and drive have different throttle responses but it feels like the truck is really trying to go and the only way to stop is with brake.
I have never seen this behavior - but looks like @Ford Motor Company has contacted you so they should be able to assist.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
My experience has been very smooth. I back out of my driveway daily and shift to forward. Reverse is much less sensitive to throttle input which takes an adjustment when moving from ICE but no jumpiness other than what I expected. I have done the inadvertent cruise thing but not going from reverse to forward. Perhaps if this is happening, then we should leave Ford feedback to ignore any cruise button inputs below 15mph and when the wheel is turned more than a degree or two. Otherwise, parking lot incidents may get out of hand. I'll test this over the next couple of days.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I tried backing into my garage with 1-pedal last night, and while trying to close those last inches mine "lurched". Tried to feather the pedal, but it would feel "sticky" then lurch an inch. I assumed it was due to 1-pedal and plan to turn off in the future. However, your post makes me wonder if it's a calibration issue.
I find there is no lurching if you don't take your foot completely off the accelerator until you want to stop. Otherwise, the truck comes to a full stop, applies the brakes, and doesn't like to creep forward when there is an obstruction in front. Same issue when backing to connect to a trailer. Try leaving your foot slightly on as you creep forward/backward. I've gotten pretty good at it.

Sponsored

FastMover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum 14 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Not sure if my experience in one pedal drive is the same as yours. But I have switch from exclusively OPD back to two pedal. Always seemed that there was not amoth transition from a dead stop to a crawl. When In tight spots was not the best of feelings. Just was always aware cause I knew how my truck responded.

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I hadn't considered this could be happening. I don't remember seeing cruise control enabled but as a force of habit anytime something goes weird I disconnect everything. I also turn the wheel with my palm. My last truck didn't have a wheel with so many buttons. I'll keep on eye doing this going forward!
This same thing has happened to me. In my opinion cruise should engage at a higher speed, especially in 1P where you have some expectation of stopping when letting off the accelerator. I'm conditioned now to turn off the cruise when this happens.

phildickerson

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
So glad you posted. This did happen to me once. It was a very, very different scenario than most are sharing here. I was driving to work. We have a guard's gate, so I had to stop and show my badge. After that, there's an open straight-away. I do not use 1PD, did not have cruise on, nothing. Anyway, I floored it, just for fun, let off the "gas" and it seemed to stick at about 35 mph. I hit the brakes and it slowed, but as soon as I let off the brake, 35 mph again. I came to a full stop and, as soon as I released the brake, zoom to 35 again. It was as if cruise control was at 35, even though it wasn't.

This all went away once I parked and powered off. It did not seem dangerous, since tapping the brake would interrupt the acceleration, but, the desire to go 35 was strong.

Again, glad you posted, since I thought maybe I was just crazy that day.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I do pull forward into my garage but yesterday I did back into a tiny parking garage spot and as I got close to the concrete wall I thought of this post and said to myself ā€œif this thing lurches even an inch, Iā€™m hitting that wallā€ but as usual I was able to put right where I want it. an inch from the wall.

I find there is no lurching if you don't take your foot completely off the accelerator until you want to stop. Otherwise, the truck comes to a full stop, applies the brakes, and doesn't like to creep forward when there is an obstruction in front. Same issue when backing to connect to a trailer. Try leaving your foot slightly on as you creep forward/backward. I've gotten pretty good at it.
This is a good point! I do not take my foot off of the pedal if I need to inch or crawl. My foot only comes off if I want to completely slow down or stop. I do remember turning it off when I first got it as I was pulling it into the garage for a few days until i got more comfortable with it. It takes some practice.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Iā€™ve noticed in parking lots that the way I turn sharp with the palm of my hand on the side of the steering wheel, my palm will hit the cruise control button and set the cruise at 15mph. This makes the truck lunge forward until I stab the brakes. Its definitely my faughr for the way I put my palm on the wheel but it is also scary to have that unintended acceleration in a parking lot.
^^^ This was exactly my first thought when reading the original post. It's not hard to do. Once you realize how it happens, it's pretty easy to remember to always be ready to cancel the CC.

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
This is something I've noticed a few times, it's concerning, and I'm trying to hash out what's actually happening.

After reversing at slow speed (from a parking spot for example) and then shifting into drive, I've felt what appeared to be uncommanded throttle response.

I was in one pedal drive. No automation features were on. It only has happened when selecting drive immediately after reverse at slow speeds.
I have had a similar issue a number of times (6?). After backing out of a parking space, I shift to drive, apply the throttle to turn and pull away, then let off throttle and the truck accelerates and I have to quickly apply the brake.

This happens exclusively in parking lots, after backing out of a space, and luckily once I am clear of parked cars with a clear path in front. I had assumed it was the adaptive cruise control I had set prior to pulling in to the parking lot turning back on, or that I had turned it on when unwinding wheel. Neither possibility makes sense as it is too slow to turn on (like 5mph).

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have had a similar issue a number of times (6?). After backing out of a parking space, I shift to drive, apply the throttle to turn and pull away, then let off throttle and the truck accelerates and I have to quickly apply the brake.

This happens exclusively in parking lots, after backing out of a space, and luckily once I am clear of parked cars with a clear path in front. I had assumed it was the adaptive cruise control I had set prior to pulling in to the parking lot turning back on, or that I had turned it on when unwinding wheel. Neither possibility makes sense as it is too slow to turn on (like 5mph).
Sounds like the exact circumstances and impression I have had. After considering the cruise control possibility more, I still don't know if that could be it because I don't remember ever hearing a chime, and when you turn it on without a speed sign recognized it chimes and requires another button push to set the speed (with how I have it set up). I just don't think I hit all the buttons with my palm in that exact order.

My situation matches yours exactly. It feels like the truck is trying to pull forward hard when my foot isn't on the gas and specifically happens in parking lots.

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
Have not encountered that in 1 pedal or 2 pedal modes. Do 1 pedal in town, 2 on highway

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Have not encountered that in 1 pedal or 2 pedal modes. Do 1 pedal in town, 2 on highway
Curious why you switch to 2 pedal on the highway. Iā€™ve never seen the need to switch, especially when using cruise control. I havenā€™t noticed much difference.
On a winding two lane I love 1 pedal. Itā€™s like driving a stick shift.

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
Curious why you switch to 2 pedal on the highway. Iā€™ve never seen the need to switch, especially when using cruise control. I havenā€™t noticed much difference.
On a winding two lane I love 1 pedal. Itā€™s like driving a stick shift.
Collecting data on range impact of 1 vs 2 pedal mode on long range trips. Currently doing the 2 pedal thing.

This was called out as an efficiency impact on a different thread. I could not see how it would be an impact but since it is simple to test, thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing. I have two 150 mile trips per week on the same road so I have an opportunity to do some learning.
Sponsored