• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Have 27 ft., 6,600 lb. (dry weight) Camper, need truck--which one?

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
EV is just not a feasible option for many of us with travel trailers. If you are just a weekend warrior, travel a couple hours to your site that is one thing. For us, we like to hit the road and depending on our adventure, we are no stranger to spending 24hrs in the vehicle with a few 10 minute breaks for full up and stretching the old legs. Our annual trips, Toronto to Tampa area, not a chance I am stopping every hour to charge the vehicle. No doubt the lightning will fit the needs for 80% of the population, just not those that like to hit the road. As technology improves, I'm willing to buy into the EV trend but I need to see like 500km towing range and a 5 minute charge time.
Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
What trim level do you have? I don't know how you can get that payload on a PowerBoost, I would have to see that door jam sticker. The only PB capable of that payload is a 2021 XL PowerBoost with 6.6 bed and ZERO options added to the truck. If that's you, great, but please don't use that chart to determine payload of YOUR truck. That number is the absolute best payload possible on the lowest trim truck with no options.

For example, my Lariat 502a PowerBoost payload is 1400, NOT the 1830 on that chart, because my truck is a higher trim and has options added. You need to go by the door sticker, not the advertising material that very clearly says maximum payload, not standard.
Thanks I’ll go check now.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
M
Thanks I’ll go check now.
My XLT weighs in at 4,465lbs, stickers says GVWR 7,350lbs. I don’t see why the XLT isn’t rated for 2120 payload? Something with selection of tires maybe?

F150Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
M

My XLT weighs in at 4,465lbs, stickers says GVWR 7,350lbs. I don’t see why the XLT isn’t rated for 2120 payload? Something with selection of tires maybe?
Check out the Tire and Loading sticker (also in the door jam). This will have the max payload amount for your vehicle. Here's a sample.

Ford F-150 Lightning Have 27 ft., 6,600 lb. (dry weight) Camper, need truck--which one? 20210513_102625

Mengel

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 power boost
Occupation
Superintendent
I have the platinum power boost my payload sticker says 1600 and some change. I’m looking to buy at 27’ trailer with gwcr 7800 trailer. I rented a travel trailer last week and only got 7-9 mpg. Honestly I drove way to fast up to 80. Did some research and should have stayed around 60-65. Also heard best gas mileage is at the 7th gear so next time I will try it again and hope to get better gas mileage while towing.

Sponsored

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
I have a very similar size and weight travel trailer and chose to go with the 3.5 EB for the very fact that the torque come on at much lower rpms. Rpms that you will actually be running in while pulling. This makes the power of the EB much more usable than the 5.0 when towing. I so far have only about 400 miles towing my trailer with my new truck but it has not disappointed.

OP
OP

Osky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have a very similar size and weight travel trailer and chose to go with the 3.5 EB for the very fact that the torque come on at much lower rpms. Rpms that you will actually be running in while pulling. This makes the power of the EB much more usable than the 5.0 when towing. I so far have only about 400 miles towing my trailer with my new truck but it has not disappointed.
Which axle ratio did you go with?

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have the 3.55, the 3.73 was not available with the 3.5eb and max tow when my truck was produced. (Might be now, not sure.) It did great. On my last trip I had a heavy head wind and it seemed to like 7th and 8th gear with the occasional 6th gear for up hill climbs at 70mph.

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Mustanga10, Are you towing in flat areas?

I’ve found my Tacoma gets great reviews from people in flat areas, but where I I’ve (Seattle), it’s a disaster. Just can’t tow my 3k trailer, even tho well rated.

I’m also looking at a 8k GVWR trailer and starting to wonder if my 3/15 never-ending-build will be able to tow it.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have the 3.55, the 3.73 was not available with the 3.5eb and max tow when my truck was produced. (Might be now, not sure.) It did great. On my last trip I had a heavy head wind and it seemed to like 7th and 8th gear with the occasional 6th gear for up hill climbs at 70mph.
I ordered the start of March with the max tow / 3.5eco and only the 3.55 was available. I would have had to go with the 5L to get the 3.73. Again, things may behave changed since then and it may be determined by other factors as well.

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mustanga10, Are you towing in flat areas?

I’ve found my Tacoma gets great reviews from people in flat areas, but where I I’ve (Seattle), it’s a disaster. Just can’t tow my 3k trailer, even tho well rated.

I’m also looking at a 8k GVWR trailer and starting to wonder if my 3/15 never-ending-build will be able to tow it.
No not flat, not mountains but large hills yes, plenty.
Sponsored