Help! HV Battery Warning - Communication Fault

Katonah Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat
Hi all! New Lightning owner here (one day shy of 3 weeks, 1,800 miles). But I have been following along here for a while ahead of pulling the trigger. Bought a 2023 Lightning Lariat - one of the leftovers on a dealer lot and got what I thought was a pretty good deal last month. The truck is as awesome as I had hoped. But it's been a fun, but challenging, few weeks. I am having an issue that the dealer hasn't yet figured out and Ford DMs have just unhelpfully told me to talk to the dealer - so I am hoping someone here might have some insight.

Bought the car on 9/25. On the way home from the dealer I got the wrench icon and "Service Vehicle" message. Called dealer and he said it should "clear itself" and was nothing to worry about. Should have brought it right back then. Anyway, kept getting the icon for a few days and was also getting the a "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" Fordpass message. Made an appointment with the dealer and got it in and they replaced the Gear Shift mechanism - which we knew was malfunctioning from the factory before I bought it - lesson learned there on taking a car with an open issue. Problem 1 solved...

A couple of days later I was having issues with the modem working on and off so I pulled the Fuse 32A. Reset the modem and everything seemed to be working fine. Seemed like it cleared some sort of "clog" too as a whole host of messages came through on my Fordpass app shortly thereafter (free trials being started, etc.). However, that same day I started getting a new Service message in my Fordpass indicating a "High-Voltage Battery Warning" and the "Powertrain control system has detected a communication fault." Here is where it gets weird. I am ONLY getting the error message in my Fordpass app. If I log into my account on ford.com it says my vehicle is in excellent health (shows no powertrain issues). The truck drives perfectly fine and I am getting no error messages on the dash. Below is a screenshot of the error message from the Fordpass app.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they did a bunch of software updates and sent me on my way. Said that one of the OTA updates appeared to have crashed mid update and that was causing all sorts of issues. They forced through the software updates at the dealer and said it cleared all of the codes and that I would be good. I left the dealer and immediately got the same error message on my Fordpass app. Went right back to the dealer where the truck sits now for them to try and figure out what's going on.

Has anyone had a similar experience? It almost feels like a phantom issue with Fordpass. However, the dealer did show me the Oasys screen for the car and it is showing many many (hundreds) codes there - all pertaining to communication faults. Last item for consideration - The dealer says I am up to date on software updates, but I am still not seeing the battery percentage indicator on the HUD. It still just says 100 and 0 - not the actual SOC of the battery. I believe this was an update in 2023. I called Ford about this one and they say it is a Powerup update and not a software update - and that I should just wait. I dont have an issue with waiting, but I am just noting it in case it might be related.

Please help! Thanks!

Ford F-150 Lightning Help! HV Battery Warning - Communication Fault IMG_8232
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Just an observation from experiences I've had, communications and timely notifications is not been Fordpass' hallmark, given that you appeared to have that initial issue with comm's.

If the tech say's your all up to date, that doesn't really mean much, they don't want to spend hours of unpaid time to catch up everything that will eventually come as OTA's , they will come in due time and typically start after a communications log jam has been resolved.

As long as the truck is performing well, ie. no actual reduced power, it's charging on Level-1, 2 and DCFC then all should be good. After a week, if these disturbing notification continue to post make a new visit with service to have them review the situation, you could also call the Ford hotline to see if anything is wrong with your connected services and Fordpass account that they can remedy remotely.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
To add to what @TaxmanHog just posted, it might also be worth deleting the FordPass App entirely from your phone (data and all) and reinstalling it.

Can’t hurt and might actually help.
Sponsored