Sponsored

I think I found my substitute for the Home Integration System, Biolite Backup is currently doing a kickstarter.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

Seems like I could install these in a few places around my house, and connect "core" devices to them. In the event of prolonged outage, I can run an extension cord to my truck and recharge them. While it may not be as easy as the promise of the HIS. It seems like it'll be a hell of a lot better in practice. If I had the funds ready I'd buy 2 of the 3kWh kits right now.
Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
So... A UPS with a flashy marketing scheme? I hate to break it to you, but small UPS devices to power critical devices have been available retail for about 30 years. You can go get one at Walmart.

Donating money to this vaporware Kickstarter would be poorly spent.

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
I have a bunch of portable power stations, no name brands that I've acquired during various deals. Would recommend, I used a few times during outages to power my freezer and fridge. Recharging from solar is a pain but now that I have this truck I can recharge it pretty quickly if I need to, just make sure to have 1 extra on rotation!

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I like the idea of going with cheaper UPS / portable power stations, either way. In retrospect I agree with @Runaway Tractor that it's a lot of marketing, but they do have a great form factor for stowing them in out of the way places.

I'd need to do the math as most UPS systems seem to not display their capacity in the same formats. I'm seeing a lot of "volt-amps" and such. But yeah, this is probably a much better way to roll-our-own backup system.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm seeing a lot of "volt-amps" and such.
VA is Watts adjusted for power factor. Hard to explain it basically accounts for reduced efficiency not accounted for in plain old watts. Google will explain power factor much better than me. Don't worry about it too much for this purpose. Your backing up your house, not a data center.

You need only worry about the battery capacity in watts and the maximum load it can support. Math will tell you how long it will support a given load.
Sponsored