Sponsored

LFP batteries worth waiting another year for?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
One thing that I don't see drawn out much is the idea that the LFP can actually charge near 100% more reliably than cobalt. To me, it seems that narrows the range gap more if people can't actually use all of their cobalt battery on a regular basis but you can use all of the LFP.
You can also charge NCA batteries to 100% with no problems. The issue is just leaving them at 100% for extended periods.
Sponsored

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I do not believe the cost savings would be realized by the consumer. I would only consider LFP if you plan to make heavy use of the Power to Home feature. The increase cycles and better charging profile would help a lot there.

Buy electricity at off-peak rates and power your home with the truck during peak rates.

This is my plan, I am going to run my battery into the ground. I am gambling on replacement battery packs being cheaper (maybe from a scrap yard) or at least better technology in the future.

Even if that doesnt work out, NCA batteries are rated for 2000 cycles before hitting <80%. That is 5.5 years if you managed to drain it 100% every day, which seems unlikely. I think calendar aging will take a bigger toll.

Last edited:

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I might be willing to wait based on two issues. One is that new advancements may make LiFePo4 batteries more energy dense. Second is the safety factor. Unless Dr Goodenough sells his new battery almost very Lithium battery used in cars can destruct.

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
The Mr. Fusion reactor was supposed to be here in 2015 and we are still waiting. I'm looking at you, Doc Brown!

Seriously, though, there is always a reason to delay. If I hadn't bought my 2023 I could have waited for the heat pump, but I also wouldn't have a truck to drive. I'm vaguely hopeful that it could be possible to swap for better battery tech down the road, but generally people just buy new ones.

Ford F-150 Lightning LFP batteries worth waiting another year for? 1706485724265

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
How are the LFP batteries an upgrade? Are they not worse in basically everything but cost?
they're safer and they'll last longer if you plan on keeping the truck forever. also you can sleep soundly at night knowing there's no cobalt in your truck.
Sponsored