George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
This is an interesting direct contrast of the Lightning to the Silverado:

One thing I did like, is that on closeups of the Lightning Frunk, you can see that there is a camera washing nozzle under the blue oval. In other videos, it appeared that feature was missing. Glad to see it is present.

As for the comparison, I think the Silverado seems too gimmiky, trying to hard to be an Avalanche or something. I need a truck to be a truck.

What are your thoughts on the differences?
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I've never been a fan of the Avalanche styling and I'm not a GM fan at all. It's a deep personal dislike of the brand in general that I just can not get over and, therefore, will not ever consider purchasing one.
I'm not gonna poopoo on someone else's choice to purchase one, I just won't purchase one.
I do agree with your statement that a truck needs to be a truck, for me.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Function is #1 with me on a truck. On the Silverado I like the extended bed via the fold down cabin wall, folding tailgate, higher range, more power, (faster charging?) and... that's about it.

The styling is pretty garish with a lot of elements that just scream at you: contrasty upholstery, busy gauge clusters with backgrounds, ridiculous wheels, and a lot of plastic. I think we've all got a little Kenny Powers in us, but I don't have enough in me to prefer the look of the Chevy. The Lightning looks downright boring in comparison, but that's part of its charm for me since it will mostly fly under the radar and freak people out when they find out it's electric. I do wonder how much more range Ford could have extracted from the truck if they had decided to break further from the ICE F150 design language, but 320 miles is pretty respectable and plenty if you're not towing too far.

Consider the price difference between the two and it's a no-brainer value-wise. Ford has this one in the bag even if you're loading it up with options. If you get a 2022 Lightning with the $7500 tax credit the value gap widens further. I think GM has made the smarter business move by pushing their truck further upmarket to extract more profit. With limited choices and availability, eager buyers are waving stacks of cash to get an EV truck. And you know they're not going to make 100k Silverado EVs the first year anyway.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
10 speed automatic transmission ? LOL @11:11

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I don’t like the buttresses between the bed and cab. Other than that I would buy the Silverado or Ford, whichever is the better deal at the time. I currently own a Chevy, Chrysler and Ford, have zero brand loyalty and would buy anything that meets my needs.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Does anyone know if the base $40K GM WT EV will have a 400 mile range or use a smaller battery pack ?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Does anyone know if the base $40K GM WT EV will have a 400 mile range or use a smaller battery pack ?
It hasn't been officially announced, but it will absolutely have a smaller battery and less range. How much less, who knows. My guess is somewhere between 200 and 250 mile range.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Interesting...273mile range in tow/haul mode...wonder what it would have been in normal or sport mode.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
It hasn't been officially announced, but it will absolutely have a smaller battery and less range. How much less, who knows. My guess is somewhere between 200 and 250 mile range.
Yeah let's see if GM will actually deliver a base WT to retail customers.

Since Ford sort of screwed us over with fleet buyers getting priority on the Pro trim....

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
TBH, I don't really like the look of the Silverado EV. It's nowhere near as good looking as the F-150 Lightning or GM's own Hummer EV. It's just that the Chevy's front end looks too much like the Bolt. Not exactly the best look for a large truck.

-SG

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
TBH, I don't really like the look of the Silverado EV. It's nowhere near as good looking as the F-150 Lightning or GM's own Hummer EV. It's just that the Chevy's front end looks too much like the Bolt. Not exactly the best look for a large truck.

-SG
I don’t like Silverado EV design as well. It is not a truck

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
I hate the thought of the Avalanche EV...they may call it a Silverado, but the design is an Avalance
The Avalanche concept is perfect as far as I am concerned and as an original Av owner I hate they are calling this new one a Silverado. But I own an electric station wagon called "Mustang" so I guess I can live with an electric Avalanche called "Silverado" :LOL:

I still have a couple of years to figure out how to pull off some Evalanche rebadging when I get my truck.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
The Avalanche concept is perfect as far as I am concerned and as an original Av owner I hate they are calling this new one a Silverado. But I own an electric station wagon called "Mustang" so I guess I can live with an electric Avalanche called "Silverado" :LOL:

I still have a couple of years to figure out how to pull off some Evalanche rebadging when I get my truck.
Should it be Evalanche or EValanch or EV-alanch?
Sponsored