• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
We just bought the Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A charger and are disappointed to learn our 2024 Platinum (ER battery) won't accept more than 46A from the charger. Grizzl-E's tech support sent me a spec sheet for the 2024 Lightning that lists its on-board charger with this label "19.2kW/17.6 kW (80A) Fleet Only" where, apparently, "Fleet Only" means it has to be the Ford Charge Station Pro Charger! This is extremely disappointing that Ford would limit a third-party EVSE and not specifically mention that ONLY their Pro charger will be allowed by the truck to accept 80A.

I confirmed the Ford-imposed limit of third-party EVSEs with Ford tech support.

Has anyone been able to achieve over 46A charging with a third-party EVSE?

Thank you!
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I'm under the impression that the limit is due to them only including the dual onboard chargers in a handful of Pro ER models sold to fleet customers. It's not a requirement to use the Ford Charge Station Pro. Just none of the 2024 retail models at any trim level have the 80A capable hardware in the truck.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
We just bought the Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A charger and are disappointed to learn our 2024 Platinum (ER battery) won't accept more than 46A from the charger. Grizzl-E's tech support sent me a spec sheet for the 2024 Lightning that lists its on-board charger with this label "19.2kW/17.6 kW (80A) Fleet Only" where, apparently, "Fleet Only" means it has to be the Ford Charge Station Pro Charger! This is extremely disappointing that Ford would limit a third-party EVSE and not specifically mention that ONLY their Pro charger will be allowed by the truck to accept 80A.

I confirmed the Ford-imposed limit of third-party EVSEs with Ford tech support.

Has anyone been able to achieve over 46A charging with a third-party EVSE?

Thank you!
The 2024 Lightning cannot charge at 80 amps due to lack of dual onboard chargers. HOWEVER, 48 amp should be doable. How does your Grizzl-E show 46 amps if you dont mind me asking? I know my tesla wall charger outputs 240V 48amps to my lightning aka ~11.5Kw/hr, but Fordpass shows 10.6ish from what I assume as charging loss. I was wondering if you were going off based on that.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...ightning-charging-frequently-asked-questions/

"What factors should I consider when choosing a home charging solution?" section

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As stated, the 2024 non-fleet Lightnings are limited to 48amps.

If you check, you are getting 46amps due to having around 230 volts instead of 240 volts.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
It was announced long ago that 2024 lightnings would only charge at 48a.

Certain models can be ordered with an internal upgrade that allows them to charge at 80a but it has nothing to do with the Ford charger itself.

Sponsored

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Sorry, as others have said you missed a memo somewhere.

the 2024 lightnings and newer can’t do 80a. Who told you they can?

the pro model can be special ordered that way for fleet customers but for regular folks no.

it’s one of the favorite reasons I got a 2023

OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
The 2024 Lightning cannot charge at 80 amps due to lack of dual onboard chargers. HOWEVER, 48 amp should be doable. How does your Grizzl-E show 46 amps if you dont mind me asking? I know my tesla wall charger outputs 240V 48amps to my lightning aka ~11.5Kw/hr, but Fordpass shows 10.6ish from what I assume as charging loss. I was wondering if you were going off based on that.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...ightning-charging-frequently-asked-questions/

"What factors should I consider when choosing a home charging solution?" section
Michael CA,

I’ll attach a couple screenshots from the Grizzl-E web app to show where I came up with the 46A value.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger IMG_4753
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger IMG_4752

OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
I'm under the impression that the limit is due to them only including the dual onboard chargers in a handful of Pro ER models sold to fleet customers. It's not a requirement to use the Ford Charge Station Pro. Just none of the 2024 retail models at any trim level have the 80A capable hardware in the truck.
Potato,

I’m unaware about this idea the Ford Charge Station Pro won’t work either. When I talked to Ford tech support, they led me to believe it WOULD work up to the rated 80A. 🙄

CAVUBob

OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
As stated, the 2024 non-fleet Lightnings are limited to 48amps.

If you check, you are getting 46amps due to having around 230 volts instead of 240 volts.
RickLightning,

During the Grizzl-E install, the installer tested our voltage and it was actually 251, which seemed off to me. My knowledge of electrics is low. I’ve heard values of 110 to 120 and 220 to 240, but not 251. The installer thought the high value was due to our proximity to the transformer. Electricity is still magic to me. 🫣

CAVUBob

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
So this kind of drives me nuts, the charger is always built into the vehicle. What we always keep calling chargers is power supplies. In any case you will not home charge on AC above the 48 amps with a 2024 or newer Lightning.

Sponsored
OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
Sorry, as others have said you missed a memo somewhere.

the 2024 lightnings and newer can’t do 80a. Who told you they can?

the pro model can be special ordered that way for fleet customers but for regular folks no.

it’s one of the favorite reasons I got a 2023
Dinozero and Firn,

The 2023s were a much better price, but as we researched the Lightning, the battery heat pump seemed to be a plus that was only on the 24s.

As we did our research on the two chargers Ford offered, it seemed they slanted to the FCSP due to the large battery of the Lightning ER. We never planned to backup our home with the Lightning, so the price (and user ratings) of the Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A made sense to us.

I’m mad that with all the time I spent researching different EVSEs, I missed the biggest point of all that we’d be capped at 48A. Knowing that, we’d have purchased the Grizzl-E Ultimate 48A version.

CAVUBob

OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
So this kind of drives me nuts, the charger is always built into the vehicle. What we always keep calling chargers is power supplies. In any case you will not home charge on AC above the 48 amps with a 2024 or newer Lightning.
JRT,

Yup, I know that and still said it that way—sorry.

CAVUBob

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I’m mad that with all the time I spent researching different EVSEs, I missed the biggest point of all that we’d be capped at 48A. Knowing that, we’d have purchased the Grizzl-E Ultimate 48A version.

CAVUBob
look at this way, you are future proof to have a better charger if you upgrade to something down the road that can take advantage of the 80 amps.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
It sucks they did away with the 80 amp charging, among numerous other things that are no longer included in the 24s.

If you're ok with various features and functions that were either removed or made an extra cost on the '24, the heat pump can be a big deal depending on your climate and driving needs. Lots of people don't care because the battery is big enough to not matter without it where they drive. Personally I decided I'd rather have all freebies and includes in the '23 and could live without the heat pump.

But moving onward in life, every EV should eventually be equipped with a heat pump and it will be dumb to not have it. I expect the next time I buy a new EV years from now, it won't even be an option to consider.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
RickLightning,

During the Grizzl-E install, the installer tested our voltage and it was actually 251, which seemed off to me. My knowledge of electrics is low. I’ve heard values of 110 to 120 and 220 to 240, but not 251. The installer thought the high value was due to our proximity to the transformer. Electricity is still magic to me. 🫣

CAVUBob
Voltage varies. Changes a bit all the time. Look at your graph, it shows voltage dropping slightly over time.

Your chart shows 247, yet the electrician measured 251.

voltage x amperage = kW

You will find that the voltage varies over time, and that impacts the amperage and therefore the kW.
Sponsored