• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Liking my Lightning... Challenge.

woodsman

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Semi driver
I have a challenge for my truck. This fall we plan on going to MCACM (Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals) in Rosemont, Il. 270 miles from my place, 3 of my friends going along. Can you imagine the Hero my truck would be if it makes on one charge?
It will be colder, no A/C, but maybe heater? Any advice? Love the idea of going to a muscle car show with an EV. A friend will be bringing a car, 1970 Torino Ford Factory Drag Car, drivin by Don Cumby, with a Jon Kasse Boss 9.
If you are a car guy this show will blow your mind.
Going to order Wheel Well Liners for truck, didn't realize it didn't have em.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Use ABRP to plan your trip. Leaving with 100%, and keeping your speed low enough, you should make that if you have an ER, but it's tight.

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Sounds like a fun trip! Hope you guys have a great time.

Range is going to drop 10%-30% in colder weather. I'd charge to 100% overnight and set it to pre-condition before the departure time to maximize range.

Even then, I'd stop for 10-15min to top up and stretch my legs or use the bathroom or just to grab snacks.

I'd avoid EA/EVGo and just plug and charge at a supported Tesla Supercharger site using the adapter, or maybe there's a Tesla site on your route that has built-in adapters (Magic Dock).

A quick stop would save you from stressing out about remaining range.

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
I have an Extended Range and just received the A2Z adapter. I stopped at a Wawa to test and walked inside to grab a drink and then left. Not only testing the adapter, but trying to get a real world idea of a ā€˜normalā€™ stop as Iā€™m planning a trip a little longer than yours soon. I got 20% in 8 minutes. Might be a good idea to do. Youā€™ll probably take longer if everyone takes a bathroom break and gets a drink.

CD4TNF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER
https://lightningcalcs.pages.dev/

Looks a uncomfortably tight from the numbers, but doable with 100%, 2.4mi/kWh, flat road, no wind, 55-65mph. Basically an ideal day. You would have to be guaranteed there is a charger at your meetup destination. There's no room for error or bad conditions.

I would charge. Even if it's a quick stop for the bathroom and charge. That's safer and guaranteed to work.

My last trip I went 266 miles from 100% to 19%. Dash showed 50 miles left and the 50 mile warning. 89F temp displayed on the dash. Google shows that's my route was a 4.5 hr drive.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Why pretend? Find a nice charging spot with good amenities and stop for 15 or 20 minutes. For me anyway I found travelling that way to be much more relaxing than having to micro manage.

I don't know if spending the entire drive fretting about range and whether you're driving slowly enough to make it would give the favourable impression you appear to be trying for.
Sponsored