• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

LVB simple check via cigarette lighter for $15 from Amazon, you can see the battery volts or charge at a glance ,

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
From the manual - nixed the idea of a solar trickle charger into the 12v outlet.

"Do not plug in any device that
supplies power to the vehicle through the
power points. This could result in damage

to vehicle systems. "

But it makes me wonder where the outlets are getting their power if not directly from the battery - through the BMS? Is that what can be damaged?

They do say not to jump using the negative battery terminal with the BMS on it, but to connect downstream of it.

Ford F-150 Lightning LVB simple check via cigarette lighter for $15 from Amazon, you can see the battery volts or charge at a glance , where to connect to LVB

On the left the blue circle shows a lug that is downstream of the BMS sensor. You can connect your negative clamp here.

On the right, pull back the red plastic cover and connect your positive clamp to point circled in blue. Do not connect to the points with a red X.
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This would be a good purchase - even gives a print out to hand to Ford when the AGM fails:

UNI-T UT675A Battery Tester 30Ah to 200Ah Print on-line and Real-time Test Reports Display Battery Capacity, Voltage, Resistance and Life CE, FCC, RoHS

About this item

• 1. 12V cranking lead acid battery test
  • 2. 12/24V charging or cranking system test
  • 3. Display battery capacity, voltage, resistance and life
  • 4. Four-termina Kelvin test
  • 5. 10 types of battery standards
  • 6. Language option (Chinese/English)
  • 7. Test without battery disassembly
  • 8. LED color indication for test result (UT673A)
  • 9. Print on-line and real-time test reports (UT675A)
  • 10. USB data transfer (UT675A)
UT675A Battery Tester UT673A/UT675A battery testers can be used to analyze the battery health of automobile batteries, suitable for battery capacities from 30Ah to 200Ah. These CE certified testers can rapidly and accurately detect common faults caused by battery.

UT675A also includes USB communication and built-in printer for report generation.

https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Battery-Real-time-Capacity-Resistance/dp/B098YLLWDB?th=1

Actually, if you don't need the printouts and USB data transfer, the UNI-T 673 goes for about $40 at other retailers.

Just bought the 673A on eBay.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rickersondon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lighting 2023
Occupation
Retired
As important as this battery is, why do you as the owner have to go out and purchase another piece of equipment to show the LVB state, when it would be good to add to to the dash!
I got spooked by all these forum posts . But I also did this with my previous trucks as their voltmeter gauge was not helpful.

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
This would be a good purchase - even gives a print out to hand to Ford when the AGM fails:

UNI-T UT675A Battery Tester 30Ah to 200Ah Print on-line and Real-time Test Reports Display Battery Capacity, Voltage, Resistance and Life CE, FCC, RoHS

About this item

• 1. 12V cranking lead acid battery test
  • 2. 12/24V charging or cranking system test
  • 3. Display battery capacity, voltage, resistance and life
  • 4. Four-termina Kelvin test
  • 5. 10 types of battery standards
  • 6. Language option (Chinese/English)
  • 7. Test without battery disassembly
  • 8. LED color indication for test result (UT673A)
  • 9. Print on-line and real-time test reports (UT675A)
  • 10. USB data transfer (UT675A)
UT675A Battery Tester UT673A/UT675A battery testers can be used to analyze the battery health of automobile batteries, suitable for battery capacities from 30Ah to 200Ah. These CE certified testers can rapidly and accurately detect common faults caused by battery.

UT675A also includes USB communication and built-in printer for report generation.

https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Battery-Real-time-Capacity-Resistance/dp/B098YLLWDB?th=1

Actually, if you don't need the printouts and USB data transfer, the UNI-T 673 goes for about $40 at other retailers.

Just bought the 673A on eBay.
Not at all knowledgable on this:
1. does this device work for AGM batteries? (yes, I now see)
2. What would the "cranking" tests show or do? (I'm thinking we wouldn't have any use for them)
3. Where would you connect negative lead? Before or after BMS?
4. For all AGM 12V batteries (compatible with Lightning) - does same voltages indicate same SOC? Or does it vary with battery?

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not at all knowledgable on this:
1. does this device work for AGM batteries? (yes, I now see)
2. What would the "cranking" tests show or do? (I'm thinking we wouldn't have any use for them)
3. Where would you connect negative lead? Before or after BMS?
4. For all AGM 12V batteries (compatible with Lightning) - does same voltages indicate same SOC? Or does it vary with battery?
2. Yes, number 2 would have no purpose with the Lightning, only ICE engines - but I have a motorcycle and a boat that are ICE so could maybe use it for those if need be to test cranking. There are other kinds of testers, "drop testers" that put a big load on the battery to test it's cranking amp capabilities. If you have a diesel engine for example, a crank tester is a good idea. Takes a lot of amps to start a diesel engine.

3. see image: down stream from the BMS - there is a place one can connect where the blue circle on the right is in this picture (the red X is a do not connect indication) - there is another convenient place inside the access panel as well below and to the right (in a later image).

Ford F-150 Lightning LVB simple check via cigarette lighter for $15 from Amazon, you can see the battery volts or charge at a glance , 1724004547440-yd

4. I am not sure about that, most places in my searching say 13v is the terminal voltage...but I think have seen higher somewhere. The document quoted below mentions 13v for a battery maintainer/charger, so I assume that is the terminal voltage.

BTW, this device also gives State of Health (different from SOC) and Internal resistance as well.

There is a video that goes through many of the tests using one of these:

The guy is testing the batteries on someones catamaran boat, it is a bit long but informative, maybe you'd find it interesting.?

BTW, I was reading the P-034 Police modifier bulletin and saw this about the Lightning Pro:
-----
"...The 220A DC-DC converter and range battery pack standard on the F-150 Lightning Pro trim level can be used for applications that add aftermarket equipment such as lighting, radios, video, computers, video, spot lamps, surveillance, radar, etc. There are 55 Amps available for aftermarket equipment....
...While ignition status is off, DC-DC is normally off and 12V battery supports the 12V loads....
...While ignition is off, if 12V battery reaches 40% state of charge, then vehicle waits 48 hours , before the DC-DC transfers 300 Watt-hours of energy to recharge the 12V battery. The HV power comes from either HV battery or wall power while on plug. If the 12V battery state of charge reaches 30%, then this HV to LV energy transfer happens immediately with no delay.
...Vehicle has 35 Amp-hour AGM 12V Battery...
...The 12V batter [sic battery] is charged by the DC-DC converter control module. The Battery Management System (BMS) continuously monitors the battery state of charge condition and provides the BCM with this information. The BCM communicates this information to the PCM over the HS-CAN1. The PCM communicates the battery desire setpoint to the DC-DC converter control module which supplies the necessary charge voltage to the 12V battery...
...external battery charger must maintain a system voltage above 13 volts. This may require a charger setting higher than the lowest charge setting. The external battery charger negative connection must be made to an engine or vehicle chassis ground and not the negative battery
terminal.. If the connection is to the negative battery terminal, load shedding may begin and module programming may be corrupted...."

Ford F-150 Lightning LVB simple check via cigarette lighter for $15 from Amazon, you can see the battery volts or charge at a glance , where to connect neg for battery charger

This image shows one place to connect the negative of a battery charger inside the access panel in the frunk.

"...External customer loads must only be connectred [sic] to the vehicle at the customer battery connection point. If an eternal customer load is connected at the negative battery post, the Battery Monitoring Sensor accuracy cannot be guaranteed. It is recommended that the Battery Monitoring Sensor pole clamp is not removed unless a battery replacment is required. Shoud the battery need to be isolated, this should be done by disconnecting the ground eyelet at the chassis ground...
...The BCM monitors the Battery Monitoring Sensor and provides the PCM with battery state of charge information....
...The PCM provides desired voltage set point to the DC-DC converter control module...
...The DC-DC converter control module is responsible for maintaining and charging the 12V battery. It is enabled when the high voltage battery contactors have closed, providing high-voltage power to the DC-DC converter control..."
-----

So it seems that the DC-DC converter is used for accessories when the Lightning is ON - in an ICE vehicle it is simply the 12v battery all the time.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From what I have gathered, AGM batteries can last from 500-600 charging cycles.

Better than typical flooded lead acid batteries.

However, compare that with Li batteries which have 2000-5000 charge cycles (maybe more depending).

A charging cycle is the equivalent of charging from 0 to 100 percent. So if you charge from 40 to 90% twice, that is one charge cycle.

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
As important as this battery is, why do you as the owner have to go out and purchase another piece of equipment to show the LVB state, when it would be good to add to to the dash!
Yes this seems so easy for Ford to do but nooooo