Sponsored

Maybe Ford just doesn't want to sell F150 Pro at $39k instead of an ICE truck?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Speculating why Ford would not want to keep selling the Lightning Pr for $39k. Some people say they lose money on each one, but I think that is unliklely.

I do however hink they make _less_ profit compared to selling a comparable ICE model. And the EV is a much nicer truck in many ways (cheaper to operate, etc). So they keep the price higher on the EV to make the same margin as the comparable ICE model so as not to cannibalize their own profits.

Ford has an interesting tightwalk to navigate - how to gain market share over other EV truck sellers without losing market share of their existing ICE truck business to their own EV. A classic business problem.

History tells us that very few companies learn to navigate this dilemma. The ones that do tend to be in the "never look back" mindset a lot more than the "protect the cash cow legacy" mindset.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford is losing money on EVs. The only reason they’re not priced higher is that the market won’t allow it (sales would go into a death spiral).

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
A comparable gas truck is WAY more money than $39k, now.

The absolute cheapest, ZERO-option, gas-powered XL-trim Supercrew 4x4 is now $50k.

And that's with no frunk, WAY less power and torque, no ProPower, etc.

I'm really glad to have gotten one for $39k, but yeah, it would be crazy for Ford to sell them at $39k. I'm sure they'd be making way less money, and they'd cannibalize a ton of gas sales because it's a far, FAR better truck than a $50k gas truck for many use cases.

The $39k was clearly a "promotional" type price from the beginning since it was $13k cheaper than the XLT, which is only about $4k worth of options "better" than the Pro with normal option pricing.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Don’t forget they also had to give away the farm to the unions, so I am sure their cost to produce anything now is quite a bit more. Production costs should come down with more volume, economies of scale and development cost spread out over more vehicles!
Sponsored