• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mobile charging continues after stopping within the app

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
Hi - I have had a multiple (4+ times) instance of using the mobile charger (110 and 220), stopping the charge within the app, verifying the truck has stopped charging physically, leaving the truck plug in because it is cold, and waking up the next day with the truck charging again. This generally happens when I am traveling so I am not setting up locations. I also know you can setup a one time charge limit and in these instances didn't do that. However, I am trying to understand what causes the truck to restart charging once I have manually stopped it. Anyone have thoughts?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What you're doing doesn't work the way you think it does.

Stop charging doesn't mean - stop charging, and don't resume again while the truck is plugged in.

Stop charging does mean - stop charging, then start again whenever you want to if I haven't unplugged yet.

Same with the Mach-E. If you do not want it to charge, you have two choices:

1) Unplug.
2) Set the charge limit lower than the current state of charge.

OP
OP

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
Seems silly the software was written that way especially since there is also a resume charging option within the app. The resume 'when you feel like it' option takes away all of the control from the owner. I will use the charge limit feature for future manual charges. At least I now know that my truck charges past 80%.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I didn’t realize this when I first got my Mach-E, either. My first time driving it to the airport for a flight, I parked in a lot with free charging. I knew I couldn’t set a limit since it was my first time at the location. I didn’t think to charge 5 minutes and stop to establish the location.

When I arrived at my destination that evening, I checked and the car was up to 87% and I told it to stop. I was kind of surprised to find the car at 100% when I got back. The airport lot is now a location with a set charge limit.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
..... This generally happens when I am traveling so I am not setting up locations. .....
While Ford lacks heavily in decent UI design for their app and SW in general, you are specifically ignoring what they have given us. Gotta do a first charge of sorts and then set up that location with your max percentage.

I'm not saying I like it, I think it's very poor design, but that is the only way.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
While Ford lacks heavily in decent UI design for their app and SW in general, you are specifically ignoring what they have given us. Gotta do a first charge of sorts and then set up that location with your max percentage.

I'm not saying I like it, I think it's very poor design, but that is the only way.
Just to clarify - even if you set up a location with limits, hitting "Stop Charging" will not stop the charging for any specified length of time.

Example:

Charge limit set to 90%.
Vehicle at 82%.
Hit Stop Charging at 11PM.
Wake up in the morning, and vehicle will likely be at 90%.

If you want to STOP CHARGING, you need to either unplug, or LOWER the limit, in this case to 82%. And if you set that limit on the app, it may, or may not, make it to the vehicle.
Sponsored