• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I am about to embark on a project to finally dive into the Ford Home Integration System (HIS) and really see how it does, and what the potential is. I am aware of all the struggles some (all) people are having, but am willing to take that risk. As I have researched a lot of systems (sol-Ark, EG4, Delta Pro Ultra, EP Cube, Enphase, etc.) the Delta inverter is actually one of the best pieces of equipment out there. It is also one of the only ones to fully support AC coupled existing solar as well. I believe Sol-ark is really the only other one.

I am one of the only ones to also try incorporating the LG home battery, so that the system works even when the truck is not at home.

I will be testing how the system does without the truck attached, as well as how the home battery and truck can work together. I also will be looking at how my AC coupled solar works with the system both on and off the grid. I will also see if I can reliably charge the truck off grid on the DC only using solar.
Eventually I will look into if I can work some of my own homemade time of use / money savings into it.

Yes I know it is cheaper to have a generator hook up with manual transfer switch, but as an automation engineer something that simple is just not good enough for me. I also want this to work without the truck, or any manual intervention required. There is no need to mention this in the comments. There are entire other threads about that with excellent alternate system suggestions.

For reference my all in cost is about $9k, which is all the materials, including breaker panels, wire, conduit, etc. I should be eligible for the 30% tax credit as well since I am adding the home battery. My buddy (a licensed master electrician) and I will be doing this as DIY, so no labor cost.

I will likely need to draw on the experience of other HIS owners as well as the project progresses. This was the single most important feature that made me reserve the truck that first night of the launch. I want this post to be entirely positive, and show that this system can be done reliably and correctly.

I am in NW Houston (Cypress) TX if anyone would like to see it in person as well.

Ford F-150 Lightning My new Ford Home Integration System + Battery installation project IMG_1913
Ford F-150 Lightning My new Ford Home Integration System + Battery installation project IMG_1915
Ford F-150 Lightning My new Ford Home Integration System + Battery installation project IMG_1916
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Good luck and keep us informed.

fvineyard

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER, 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5
Occupation
IT Manager
Watching.

One question for clarity. $9K is not including the LG Battery, correct?

OK, maybe a few more questions. Curious to know more about your solar setup. Was this an existing solar installation or new? From the photos I think it is a new solar install by Sunrun? Asking as I have similar interests but have an existing solar install with SolarEdge equipment (inverter, etc.).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'm sure you know that the tax credit is limited.

Good luck on this. I haven't read about anyone that has it installed and it works flawlessly.

Please keep track of the hours you spend installing it, THEN the hours you spend troubleshooting it.

Another forum member had Ford and SunRun spending days on it before they gave up, including installing new WiFi at abutting neighbors.

OP
OP

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Watching.

One question for clarity. $9K is not including the LG Battery, correct?

OK, maybe a few more questions. Curious to know more about your solar setup. Was this an existing solar installation or new? From the photos I think it is a new solar install by Sunrun? Asking as I have similar interests but have an existing solar install with SolarEdge equipment (inverter, etc.).
The cost of the 16 kWh battery is included in that $9k number. Again this is materials. I don't have any labor costs luckily in my situation. I don't want to portray that anyone can get this at this price.

My existing solar is a 5kW SolarEdge inverter which is currently grid tied only. I am going to move it from my main panel over to the critical load panel so it will work in either situation. The inverter in the picture is the E4_DBI which is the home integration system inverter. It will tie to the truck via Charge Station Pro, and also to the LG battery. It can support strings of DC coupled solar normally, but those cannot be used when working with an AC coupled solar system as I am doing with my SolarEdge.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stonelew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Lexus Hybrid 2023 Lightning Platinum
I am about to embark on a project to finally dive into the Ford Home Integration System (HIS) and really see how it does, and what the potential is. I am aware of all the struggles some (all) people are having, but am willing to take that risk. As I have researched a lot of systems (sol-Ark, EG4, Delta Pro Ultra, EP Cube, Enphase, etc.) the Delta inverter is actually one of the best pieces of equipment out there. It is also one of the only ones to fully support AC coupled existing solar as well. I believe Sol-ark is really the only other one.

I am one of the only ones to also try incorporating the LG home battery, so that the system works even when the truck is not at home.

I will be testing how the system does without the truck attached, as well as how the home battery and truck can work together. I also will be looking at how my AC coupled solar works with the system both on and off the grid. I will also see if I can reliably charge the truck off grid on the DC only using solar.
Eventually I will look into if I can work some of my own homemade time of use / money savings into it.

Yes I know it is cheaper to have a generator hook up with manual transfer switch, but as an automation engineer something that simple is just not good enough for me. I also want this to work without the truck, or any manual intervention required. There is no need to mention this in the comments. There are entire other threads about that with excellent alternate system suggestions.

For reference my all in cost is about $9k, which is all the materials, including breaker panels, wire, conduit, etc. I should be eligible for the 30% tax credit as well since I am adding the home battery. My buddy (a licensed master electrician) and I will be doing this as DIY, so no labor cost.

I will likely need to draw on the experience of other HIS owners as well as the project progresses. This was the single most important feature that made me reserve the truck that first night of the launch. I want this post to be entirely positive, and show that this system can be done reliably and correctly.

I am in NW Houston (Cypress) TX if anyone would like to see it in person as well.

IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg
If your in Austin and want to see one working, just give me a shout.

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Exciting times in front of you!

our utility in Los Angeles (SCE) was very engaged as I was one of the early adopters so I waited months for approvals and while installing, in situ inspections by SCE and the city which took more time that the work itself.
Although I have been using my FCSP since it was installed in April of 2024, my home charger installation inspection was literally last week (August). I had no idea that it was pending and thus, I guess, had some risk of non approval.

in the end, it is a bunch of parts screwed into a wall with wiring following a schematic, with one exception - the software and wireless connectivity to the truck. Setbacks (space), power, and thermal for peak performance and inspection approvals should be easily known by your electrician.

my system, installed in Apr, Solar PTO in May has been saving me money - maybe I’d tweak my solar panel pointing a bit knowing what I know now, and HIS has kicked on automatically twice on a rolling brownout. But yes, my truck had to be home.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Good luck with the project. Be careful working with 400V DC. Also, keep in mind that LG has had several recalls due to battery fire/safety issues.

Sponsored

Steven Walsh

First Name
Ateven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-159 Lightning SR 2022
Occupation
Architect

IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg
I have had the HIS since I got my truck in 2022 and after some minor teeeking and a replaced charger (no cost) mine is up and running perfectly. My only wish is we had more outages to test it. I have to test it by shutting off the main breaker at my panel. But it comes on automatically within about 15 seconds and runs the house flawlessly. My HVAC is not backed since outages a usually very brief but I may switch it over to that panel to see how it does since our utility is now starting to shut down the entire grid during high wind events to prevent fires.

Struck47

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning
Watching. My quote for this system without any batteries was 15k. I’m in Orange County in California.

Decided a generator hookup was a better idea.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I have had the HIS since I got my truck in 2022 and after some minor teeeking and a replaced charger (no cost) mine is up and running perfectly. My only wish is we had more outages to test it. I have to test it by shutting off the main breaker at my panel. But it comes on automatically within about 15 seconds and runs the house flawlessly. My HVAC is not backed since outages a usually very brief but I may switch it over to that panel to see how it does since our utility is now starting to shut down the entire grid during high wind events to prevent fires.
Wish I could get someone to replace my FCSP as I am sure that is the only reason my HIS doesn't work consistently... have to reset it after about a week... when it does communicate with the truck, the truck has to be about 3' or less from it... The Sunrun guys narrowed it down to that but so far no joy in getting that piece replaced... However when it is functioning it works nicely...

OP
OP

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update:
I temporarily wired the whole system and got it commissioned today. The only piece I have not added in yet is the LG battery. The E4_BDI was quite easy to get going, and the 1 load I put on the critical backup panel is working fine in grid mode.
I was then able to go into the Charge Station Pro app and together with the in-truck screen, I was was able to enable the home back up.

I finally went to test the truck by turning off the circuit breaker for both the WHB transfer switch, and the charge station pro at the same time.
The charge station pro light immediately turns solid green. The truck says preparing to backup...

This is where it sits for about 10 minutes until the station faults out (yellow right light).

Turning on the breakers resets the charge station back to normal with no issue.

Does anyone with experience this issue?
Ford F-150 Lightning My new Ford Home Integration System + Battery installation project IMG_1933
Ford F-150 Lightning My new Ford Home Integration System + Battery installation project IMG_1934

Last edited:

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Update:
I temporarily wired the whole system and got it commissioned today. The only piece I have not added in yet is the LG battery. The E4_BDI was quite easy to get going, and the 1 load I put on the critical backup panel is working fine in grid mode.
I was then able to go into the Charge Station Pro app and together with the in-truck screen, I was was able to enable the home back up.

I finally went to test the truck by turning off the circuit breaker for both the WHB transfer switch, and the charge station pro at the same time.
The charge station pro light immediately turns solid green. The truck says preparing to backup...

This is where it sits for about 10 minutes until the station faults out (yellow right light).

Turning on the breakers resets the charge station back to normal with no issue.

Does anyone with experience this issue?
A couple notes from my experience... first when you say you turned off the FCSP at the same time as the main circuit breaker I'm not sure why that isn't on the main circuit as well... you should not have to turn that off... The dark start battery for the FCSP kicks in and powers the communication of the FCSP with the truck and also monitors to assure power doesn't come back on...
Second, and most likely the problem.. The FCSP needs to communicate via Bluetooth and that is where things usually break down... first pull the truck with the passenger side read door as close to the FCSP as possible , within 3 ft mostly works for me. next for extra connectivity lower the passenger rear seat up to give extra unobstructed clearance to the Bluetooth antenna behind the rear seat... then give it a try... it will probably work... after that experiment with moving the truck further away .. be warned you can only do this about 4 times before you have to shut everything down on the FCSP an put the truck into deep sleep to reset and try again.... Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Sponsored