• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
New Version of BlueCruise: Smoother, More Natural Hands-Free Highway Drive Experience

Sep 26, 2024 | Dearborn

By Sammy Omari, Executive Director Advanced Driver Assist System Technologies (ADAS), Ford Motor Company

We are introducing the latest version of Ford BlueCruise* software – BlueCruise 1.4 – our best, hands-free highway driving experience yet. It is designed to help deliver a more natural feeling drive and more time in hands-free mode compared to earlier versions.
We are on a journey to continue to improve the hands-free highway driving experience to keep customers engaged hands-free mode without interruptions, that would require the driver to put their hands on the wheel. BlueCruise 1.4 improves the hands-free highway drive time in a variety of driving conditions such as around a tight curve, in a narrow lane, during inclement weather or the reflection of the sun on the vehicle’s sensors.
Now, with BlueCruise 1.4 we have added:
  • Enhancements that automatically and smoothly adjust the vehicle’s speed in curves, helping the driver to stay engaged in hands-free mode longer and experience a more continuous drive.
  • Greater in-lane stability unlocked by an all-new motion controller, which controls the vehicle’s steering, helping reduce the ‘side-to-side’ movement within the lane.
  • Longer hands-free engagement than prior versions when in diverse driving conditions due to inclement weather like rain or direct sun.

Ford F-150 Lightning New BlueCruise Version 1.4 -- Smoother, More Natural Hands-Free Highway Drive Experience (9/26/24) bluecruise-1-4-performance-improvements-

Imagine you are driving your Ford F-150 using BlueCruise on your daily commute and are coming up along a sharp curve on the highway. In prior versions, the system may have disengaged. BlueCruise 1.4 now helps adjust your truck’s speed to slow down along the curve while remaining engaged in hands-free mode. We found in our internal testing, BlueCruise 1.4 allows customers to stay engaged an average of at least eight times longer in hands-free mode compared to BlueCruise 1.0.

BlueCruise 1.4 also builds on previous versions of BlueCruise, which means users get the performance improvements plus features introduced in prior versions including Lane Change Assist allowing you to change lanes hands-free at the tap of a turn signal, and In-Lane Repositioning which helps provide more space by subtly shifting away from vehicles in adjacent lanes, giving you a little extra room.

BlueCruise 1.4 will be available on select BlueCruise-equipped 2025 Ford and Lincoln vehicles from the factory, including the 2025 Ford F-150 and 2025 Lincoln Navigator, and additional vehicles to follow. It will also roll out via a software update to select vehicle lines in the future.

Improving BlueCruise Across Vehicle Lines  

With every new version of BlueCruise, our in-house Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) team is focused on improving the hands-free highway driving experience based on feedback we receive from customers and large-scale data from BlueCruise-equipped vehicles that customers have agreed to share with us.

To-date, there are 492,000 BlueCruise-equipped vehicles on the road globally and in North America, customers have driven more than 244 million hands-free highway miles across Ford and Lincoln. The more customers use BlueCruise, the more we’re able to learn and make meaningful improvements through the power of large-scale data through our Continuous Learning Loop process to deliver new versions of software.
We are delivering new versions of BlueCruise software via software updates, as well as on vehicles from the factory across a variety of vehicle lines and engine types from gas powered, to hybrid to all electric. BlueCruise is currently available across nine vehicle lines: the F-150®, F-150 Lightning ®, Expedition ®, Explorer ® and Mustang Mach-E ®, plus the entire Lincoln lineup with some model years dating back to 2021.

Every vehicle line and each model year within a vehicle line is unique and has a specific BlueCruise software package. When delivering software updates, it is not as simple as pushing a software update to your smart phone. This is highly complex and requires updates to multiple system modules and in-vehicle screens.

That is why our goal is to always deliver the best version of software that is available for each vehicle line as it is ready, whether it is from the factory or via a software update. We will continue to move quickly to learn, develop and iterate to elevate the hands-free highway driving experience for more customers across gas-powered engines to hybrid and electric vehicles.

*Available Feature. Equipped Ford vehicles come with either a complimentary trial period or an included duration, after which purchase of a BlueCruise subscription is required. Modem activation is required for subscription purchase and for initial activation of BlueCruise (for pre-2024 model year vehicles).  See ford.com/bluecruise for details. BlueCruise is a driver-assist feature and does not replace safe driving or driver’s attention, judgment or need to control the vehicle. Only remove hands in a Hands-Free Blue Zone. Always watch the road and be prepared to resume control. See Owner’s Manual for details and limitations.

Ford F-150 Lightning New BlueCruise Version 1.4 -- Smoother, More Natural Hands-Free Highway Drive Experience (9/26/24) bluecruise-software-versions-chart-
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
It will also roll out via a software update to select vehicle lines in the future.
Woohoo! A press release to tell us we might get a super great update at some point in the future!

At this point I'm convinced Ford's customer service strategy is "over promise and under deliver!"

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Other than waiting for OTA updates to update our BlueCruise on our trucks what else can we do now to get these improvement’s on our trucks faster..??
FDRS..?? is this an option to update our BlueCruise
ourselves now….??

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
"Greater in-lane stability unlocked by an all-new motion controller, which controls the vehicle’s steering" sounds like hardware, so that means we can't get 1.4. Unless the "motion controller" is software.
I was wondering that my self, but it also states that it will be a software update to select vehicle lines later. Maybe the 24's have the controller and that will be the model year only that get OTA for BC 1.4 but sadly Ford is not great at really being forthcoming with their plans. I love my truck, it has been one of the most fun vehicles that I have ever owned but I cannot buy another Ford in the future unless I see drastic changes. I understand that hardware is always changing and that eventually you cannot update software due to those limitations but I just haven't been pleased with Fords handling. I also love the line that it's not like a Smart Phone, funny Rivian and Tesla have solid OTA updates that work like a phone software update.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Still waiting on*any* updates since March '23
Your truck must be in the same OTA bucket as mine, though you probably hold the record for longest wait now. I bough in Feb '23 and had updates sporadically through early Oct '23. Nada since (except for dealer pushed updates).

Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Your truck must be in the same OTA bucket as mine, though you probably hold the record for longest wait now. I bough in Feb '23 and had updates sporadically through early Oct '23. Nada since (except for dealer pushed updates).
Mine is an issue with the hardware/modem apparently. It's going in for service on the 3rd, let's see if the dealer can get it cleared up...
Sponsored