• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

One-pedal driving characteristics

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
I have had my Lightning for about 2 weeks and use OPD all the time. I also have a Bolt EUV, which has an absolutely divine OPD mode IMHO. Anyway, the Lightning's OPD mode definitely feels very rough when accelerating. It's extremely hard to modulate smoothly when accelerating and is too responsive. The best way I can describe it is "notchy", like a small change in the pedal pressure causes a much greater change in motor output and acceleration.

I also happen to have a Mach-E loaner vehicle for the next few days and its OPD mode is excellent and very close to my EUV's smoothness, but the Lightning is terrible by comparison. Anyone else having trouble controlling the smoothness in accelerating their Lightning in OPD?
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
No, one pedal should accelerate just like 2 pedal.

It might be your foot position on the pedal, be sure to adjust all the controls and seat to suit you best.

It took me a couple weeks to get used to the lightning after driving ice for so long but I can hold a speed really well with it now.

OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, one pedal should accelerate just like 2 pedal.

It might be your foot position on the pedal, be sure to adjust all the controls and seat to suit you best.

It took me a couple weeks to get used to the lightning after driving ice for so long but I can hold a speed really well with it now.
It's been hard switching between the Bolt EUV and the Lightning. The OPD mode, at least in my Lightning, is not smooth and linear like it is in the Bolt (or Mach-E for that matter).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
What drive mode are you using? That affects pedal mapping.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
OPD isn't as smooth as Tesla or other EVs and I wish the regenerative braking was more aggressive -- I have to hit the brake pedal in the Lightning much more often than I'd like. OPD is often a bit clunky at low speed and stop and go. But I still leave it in OPD except if road conditions dictate otherwise, like our snow storm last weekend. Then I put it in off-road mode as that works great for slick/ snowy conditions. With OPD off, the truck drives super smooth and it's nearly imperceptible how it blends regen with standard braking.

OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OPD isn't as smooth as Tesla or other EVs and I wish the regenerative braking was more aggressive -- I have to hit the brake pedal in the Lightning much more often than I'd like. OPD is often a bit clunky at low speed and stop and go. But I still leave it in OPD except if road conditions dictate otherwise, like our snow storm last weekend. Then I put it in off-road mode as that works great for slick/ snowy conditions. With OPD off, the truck drives super smooth and it's nearly imperceptible how it blends regen with standard braking.
So do we think improvements to OPD that Ford may make would be sent to owners of older Lightnings via OTA or are we just SOL?

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
So do we think improvements to OPD that Ford may make would be sent to owners of older Lightnings via OTA or are we just SOL?
Maybe... If it's addressable via software, then yes. At least Ford seems committed to keeping up with the OTA update thing.

I use OPD exclusively. I don't find it clunky at all and can modulate it easily to a smooth, slow stop as well as a gentle acceleration.
The only thing I find clunky is if I have to get the physical brakes involved. Which happens more than I'd like. And then there's just the physics of the much larger and heavier vehicle vs. a Tesla or other smaller EVs.

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
My only other experience with 1PD is Tesla, which is very smooth in all situations.

I can’t say I’ve ever experience roughness or clunkiness with my Lightning’s 1PD. The only area I believe where Tesla is better is in low speed situations, like stop and go traffic, but even then I wouldn’t consider the Lightning rough.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I just use Normal Mode OPD for the Pennsylvania over hill and dale back roads. Suits those roads perfect for me. If I want to use OPD with a more responsive pedal, I use the Sport Mode OPD.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
have never owned another EV so OPD is entirely new to me. First 500 miles on my 23 Lariat ER were with normal mode. I switched to OPD and 1500 miles later I'll never go back. I love it. it's so much smoother than braking and entirely predictable. clunkyness????? have not seen it.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
I think one pedal is much more smooth acceleration-wise in sport. I too came from a tesla, and found I was hitting the brakes more (nearly never used brake pedal in model 3). I chalked it up to getting used it the weight of the truck. 3 months in and I have gotten a lot better, still use the brake a bit, but a lot less than the first month.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN