• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"Overheating" when charging.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The last few longer trips I have teken my Lightning on, including the one I am on now, I keep getting thermally throttled while fast charging. First time this has ever happened.

• The first time this happened it was mid-90's out so I figured that was the issue.
  • Today it happened in the low 80's.
  • Temp is dead center when I plug in.
  • Charge rate starts off normal but after 5 to 10 mins drops to around 50kW.
  • Temp after charging is at the very top of the "OK" range, but no other indications or messages.
  • Power is reduced for a few minutes after charging.
  • I have the Max tow package with the extra cooling and the ER battery.
I don't think anything big is wrong, but never had this issue last summer at all. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Have you checked your coolant level recently? A bunch of them are low straight from the factory.

Ford F-150 Lightning "Overheating" when charging. 1722891499683-9

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No, but I just had the 30k mile service done at the dealer, so in theory it should be good. I will check though

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I checked my coolant last week because I had some travels and DC fast charging in the future. My coolant was below the minimum...after dealership visit it is now above the max line. Dealer guy said it is no big deal...I'll trust him for now...

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
The last few longer trips I have teken my Lightning on, including the one I am on now, I keep getting thermally throttled while fast charging. First time this has ever happened.

• The first time this happened it was mid-90's out so I figured that was the issue.
  • Temp after charging is at the very top of the "OK" range, but no other indications or messages.
I don't think anything big is wrong, but never had this issue last summer at all. Anyone have any ideas?
Obviously the thermal throttling is there to protect the truck battery from damage or fire.

So if it is kicking in, one should assume it is because it is doing its job and the battery is being protected from overheating.

The BMS is in charge of the thermal management system components.
Some part of the cooling system may not be functioning optimally to cool down the battery and related components during fast charging.

Assuming everything else is the same in your fast charging conditions - same DC fast chargers, same resting period before fast charging after driving, etc. - then the BMS and all associated thermal management hardware should probably be checked out for problems.

The low coolant one was the first that comes to mind. The coolant has to be circulated effectively, and the heat dissipated, by components of the cooling system, any one of which could be the issue.

Another possibility is a problem with the HV battery itself leading to overheating.
That would be a potentially dangerous situation since thermal runaway can lead to disastrous results.

Probably a good idea to have it checked out sooner rather than later.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thanks all - I will check the coolant level when I get back to the hotel this afternoon

Reactions: chl

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Are you using Car Scanner, or some other method of knowing it is the vehicle requesting less power, and not the charger offering less? Most likely it is the vehicle - especially if it is the same slow rate at different chargers and/or different networks, but just wondering if you are sure. I think the Car Scanner has a field for "maximum power vehicle can take", but have never looked at it when charging.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Are you using Car Scanner, or some other method of knowing it is the vehicle requesting less power, and not the charger offering less? Most likely it is the vehicle - especially if it is the same slow rate at different chargers and/or different networks, but just wondering if you are sure. I think the Car Scanner has a field for "maximum power vehicle can take", but have never looked at it when charging.
No - I don't have Car Scanner. I just know it has happened at multiple charging locations on different networks (EA and EVgo)

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
Obviously the thermal throttling is there to protect the truck battery from damage or fire.

So if it is kicking in, one should assume it is because it is doing its job and the battery is being protected from overheating.

The BMS is in charge of the thermal management system components.
Some part of the cooling system may not be functioning optimally to cool down the battery and related components during fast charging.

Assuming everything else is the same in your fast charging conditions - same DC fast chargers, same resting period before fast charging after driving, etc. - then the BMS and all associated thermal management hardware should probably be checked out for problems.

The low coolant one was the first that comes to mind. The coolant has to be circulated effectively, and the heat dissipated, by components of the cooling system, any one of which could be the issue.

Another possibility is a problem with the HV battery itself leading to overheating.
That would be a potentially dangerous situation since thermal runaway can lead to disastrous results.

Probably a good idea to have it checked out sooner rather than later.
You also might want to check in the radiator opening for an obstruction. I found a large platic covered card covering half my radiator.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
You also might want to check in the radiator opening for an obstruction. I found a large platic covered card covering half my radiator.
To clarify, Lightnings only have an AC condenser up front under the louvers, but that could be obstructed, reducing the refrigerant loop efficiency, in turn reducing the heat transfer module effectiveness which extracts excess heat from battery & motor glycol loop.

Listening to the Munro Thermal Management video once again, I heard the tech mention a radiator under the dual condenser core, so correcting the prior statement [ONLY] that some heat is discharged from the radiator and when it can't remove enough, then the chiller circuit helps get the hot glycol cooled down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T

You might be having the same issue I had. The Max Tow cooling system had a freon leak and stopped working.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-significantly-on-hot-days.20209/#post-402220

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Interesting.

Radiator/heat-exchanger obstructions would definitely lead to higher temps.
Seems like the heat exchanger looks like this:
:
Ford F-150 Lightning "Overheating" when charging. IMG_1581-heat exchanger

" The plate with the yellow block-off on it with the blue template is the heat exchanger. The blue template is where to put the thermal compound, the yellow is where the coolant hoses connect."
Ford F-150 Lightning "Overheating" when charging. IMG_1582-heat exchanger thermal compound

"Thermal compound applied and plate removed, you can see the battery being hung and about to be placed on top"

----
I have seen posts about battery coolant system leaks as well.
---
This video goes through some details of the cooling system pretty well, showing the radiator - I guess some of the fins could get obstructed:

Ford should check it out.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Battery Pack