• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"Overheating" when charging.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Battery Pack

Thermal Management

Interesting that there are two compressors in the max tow package version, one dedicated to cooling the battery...so another dedicated coolant line to investigate when there is a problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
On my return trip now. Charging is working Ok because it is only around 70, but still showing elevated temp for the battery after charging. Have a dealer appt. next Thursday.

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Well - I checked the coolant level and it was fine (a little above the minimum mark after sitting all night). If I hit the same issues going home tomorrow I will call my dealer and ask them to check this!
Just to clarify - the cooling for Max Tow also uses a separate Air Conditioning compressor that uses refrigerant gas ("freon"), which is not the same as the liquid coolant. In my case, my battery was overheating during charging because the AC compressor wasn't running. The "freon" gas leaked out due to a faulty valve so the compressor couldn't run.

Since it's a separate system, the AC cooling in the cabin was working fine.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Dealer took a look and found some bad coolant pumps. Parts are on order and I am still driving the truck locally until they come in.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ok - end of the story - coolant pumps have been replaced. Took the dealer 2 days to do the work. I am a little upset they didn't have a loaner to give me or offer a rental, but I was able to find a local rental pretty cheap.

Haven't done any longer drives to no chance to test the fast charging. The only fast chargers near my house are Tesla and I am still waiting on that adapter...

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
After my last service appointment, I left them a review that their loaner availability is 100% of the reason I'm choosing them for service. It makes a huge difference. Keep an eye on the coolant level, I seem to recall reports of it dropping after that repair. They sometimes don't get all the air bubbles out.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Just to clarify - the cooling for Max Tow also uses a separate Air Conditioning compressor that uses refrigerant gas ("freon"), which is not the same as the liquid coolant. In my case, my battery was overheating during charging because the AC compressor wasn't running. The "freon" gas leaked out due to a faulty valve so the compressor couldn't run.
For both max tow and non max tow coolant is circulated through the battery, motors, and a chiller using a pump (or pumps, I'm not sure). The refrigerant removes heat from the coolant in the chiller. Coolant does not flow through a radiator, you just have condenser(s) up front that remove heat from the refrigerant.

You're able to remove more heat more efficiently and with greater control using a chiller and a refrigerant loop vs. a traditional coolant radiator.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Ok - end of the story - coolant pumps have been replaced. Took the dealer 2 days to do the work. I am a little upset they didn't have a loaner to give me or offer a rental, but I was able to find a local rental pretty cheap.

Haven't done any longer drives to no chance to test the fast charging. The only fast chargers near my house are Tesla and I am still waiting on that adapter...
You should call and open a case with ford and they will most likely help out with the rental. I had to do that with my powerboost and they reimbursed me for the complete rental which was almost $400.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver

Since it's a separate system, the AC cooling in the cabin was working fine.
I’m having this same issue. Found a dealer that took my truck in today with no appointment and put me in a loner. Was in and out within an hour. Amazing. I’m in LA working but about to drive my new lightning back to Michigan. Starting getting the wrench light a couple days ago. It’s been wicked hot here in La. Was 118 today! They pulled my truck up in PTS and it had faults for multiple days over the last about 3 weeks of ownership. Just did not throw the wrench light everytime. Anyway they are prioritizing my truck since I’m “out of town” and hopefully it’s a simple leak that can be fixed without some back ordered part. 🤞 I thought it was odd that a truck with max tow would let the battery get as warm as it did. My instinct was correct I guess. Was funny anytime I would put it into sport mode it immediately threw the wrench light. Which makes sense now as that does activate the extra cooling for the battery as I have learned. Will see what they say Monday or Tuesday.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You should call and open a case with ford and they will most likely help out with the rental. I had to do that with my powerboost and they reimbursed me for the complete rental which was almost $400.
If it was more money I would, but I am only out $37 for the rental and for that amount it isn't worth the hassle.

Sponsored

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
As @RocketGhost rightly pointed out, the cooling system is a combination of an AC loop with refrigerant and a liquid coolant loop through the battery and motors.

What we're seeing is that overheating during fast charging can be due to a number of things such as refrigerant leaks (my case), liquid coolant leaks, coolant pump failures, blockages or debris around the radiator, etc.