• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PAAK: Backup Start Passcode FAIL! Warning!

Ry2023

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
Just giving everyone that uses this feature. Don't rely on it!

TLDR; When attempting to use this feature yesterday the Prompt box popped up on the screen to input the password... Unfortunately the Keyboard did not ever appear making it quite difficult to enter said password! Thus was temporarily stranded.

Background: I use my PAAK (Phone as a Key) 99% of the time. Mostly because the comically large size of the Key Fob. PAAK generally works well for me, although it can be very sluggish for use passive entry to recognize and work.

I have at times used the Backup Start Passcode and it has seemingly always worked. That said I have never purposely relied on it.

Yesterday me and my daughter who recently started cross country running for school were driving to a recreational trail about a mile from our house to do a quick training run for her. I dont trust leaving a key or phone in truck (I should get a faraday bag) so did not want to take my phone, and figured I'd be good to just use the Backup Start Passcode. It did work to leave home as it always had previously. After our run, I entered my Door Key Securicodeto enter, we were able to get into the vehicle , however when I attempted to use the Backup Start Passcode the Prompt box popped up on the screen to input the password. Unfortunately the Keyboard did not ever appear making it quite difficult to enter said password!
Thus was temporarily stranded.

Luckily I was able to get the AC on by using my Apple Watch. After spending about 5 minutes trying everything I could do, I called my wife and asked her to drive me a key. So she loaded up the other 2 kids and did just that. Luckily we weren't further from home, but it was still a very annoying inconvenience. Additionally after remote starting the AC, and then when still attempting to get the Backup start code keyboard to appear I triggered the security alarm by opening the drivers door from inside, and could not get that to shutoff. šŸ™„ @Ford Motor Company I'm sure you know this already, but your software game is leaving a lot to be desired!

For reference, I did get the most recent 6.14 update, so have the newest user interface.

Side note: It sure would be nice to have all PAAK functionality with a Cellular enabled smartwatch.
I have also had that situation where the backup code keyboard did not come upā€¦ā€¦ I wonder what the fix to this isā€¦ or ford is even aware
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
When I took delivery of my 22 ER Lariat in June 2022 the sales rep handed me the fob. I immediatly put it deep into the center console and I've never touched it since. I use the door code to lock and unlock. Two years on, it's all still working.

Rich B

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E, '23 Lightning, '19 Cherokee, '07 Titan
Occupation
IT Professional
Just giving everyone that uses this feature. Don't rely on it!

TLDR; When attempting to use this feature yesterday the Prompt box popped up on the screen to input the password... Unfortunately the Keyboard did not ever appear making it quite difficult to enter said password! Thus was temporarily stranded.

For reference, I did get the most recent 6.14 update, so have the newest user interface.

Side note: It sure would be nice to have all PAAK functionality with a Cellular enabled smartwatch.
This happened to me once shortly after receiving an update. After walking away for about 15 mins, it finally served me up the keypad. Ended up I had a bad PCM. I did purchase a faraday bag and now keep a key in the car as a "just in case", though.

steelersmb

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning Lariat
I was using my PAAK and it was working fine until it didn't today when I was about 45 minutes from my house. On top of that, the keyboard for the backup password wouldn't work so I was stuck. When I say it wouldn't work, I mean that I couldn't get the keyboard to show up to even enter my password in. My wife had to brink me my key which she wasn't too happy about. This was a horrible experience and the Ford software sucks. I never once had an issue with my Tesla. I guess I need to carry the key from now on which is a pain.

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
I had this happen as well. I changed over to a new phone recently, so I had to remove my PaaK old phone, and enter my new phone as a PaaK. During this process, I also blew away the associated password from the original phone/setup. I entered a new password, and it glitches out and fails when accepting the new one. Now I have no password (although it thinks it has one). This is when I also discovered the missing password entry field when trying out the codes that failed to save.

Let me tell you - the glitchy-ness of this truck is pretty terrible, especially around the PaaK process. I have, on numerous occasions, factory reset the truck to start fresh to realize that the door entry password still worked after the factory reset. The first time it happened I thought for sure I missed a step and didn't factory reset properly, so I tried it multiple times to make sure....

Sponsored

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
Man oh man. PAAK , back up start. , key fob too big. ford physical key trash. We trash complain about everything donā€™t we šŸ˜‚

@Ford Motor Company you all just canā€™t win šŸ˜‚

Iā€™d prefer a chip in my body and truck will start šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Man oh man. PAAK , back up start. , key fob too big. ford physical key trash. We trash complain about everything donā€™t we šŸ˜‚

@Ford Motor Company you all just canā€™t win šŸ˜‚

Iā€™d prefer a chip in my body and truck will start šŸ˜‚
Dont promote the feature if you cant reliably execute. Great truck, but I'm calling a spade a spade where they fall short. Im Not an Ostrich. Im Not a sheep.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022āš”Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Mine blessed me with this problem this morning. Wouldn't recognize phone despite Android Auto connecting and playing music. Refused to bring up the keypad to enter a pass code. Rebooted phone and truck, no dice. Had to call my wife for a key.

What a joke @Ford Motor Company.
Villa Ford of Orange. 1FTVW1EV5NWG10205. Tony Rodriguez is my Service Advisor.
Oh, and when you contact them, the trim rattles and it's drank almost all the coolant from the last time they dropped the battery. And the clips under the frunk are missing or broken.
Ford F-150 Lightning PAAK: Backup Start Passcode FAIL! Warning! 1000026591
Sponsored