• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Part# Help: Frunk Inner Cover "Twist Clips"

dingmah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
It works. Looks like I can't post the video here, but I can twist it in and it holds. I had to make it a bit longer, so if you've already downloaded the files, you'll need to grab them again.
Awesome! How did you orient it when you printed it? I assume it will need to be printed with supports. Also, 100% infill?
Sponsored

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Awesome! How did you orient it when you printed it? I assume it will need to be printed with supports. Also, 100% infill?
I actually printed it just like it would be installed with the handle part up so that the support interface wouldnt be visible when installed. Tree/organic supports on the build plate only. I didnt need one (now I do of course) so this was just PLA 5 walls 25% infill. I'll be doing another at 10 walls, 75% infill in ABS to replace the one I just broke.

gmarcucio

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, 23 Corvette, 23 Renegade, 22 Mini EV
Occupation
Retired High School Auto Tech Teacher
Smaller ones are available in a pack of 4 I believe... the bigger clips are part of the entire panel.

Did this change?
No it didn't change, have to purchase the entire cover. Here is what I did at least for now.

Ford F-150 Lightning Part# Help: Frunk Inner Cover "Twist Clips" IMG_7163

Ford F-150 Lightning Part# Help: Frunk Inner Cover "Twist Clips" IMG_7164

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
These clips were designed with less rigidity than a lays potato chip in a bowl of dip.

I can tell my dealer doesn't check fluid levels because they'd be replacing a full panels worth of clips each time.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Smaller ones are available in a pack of 4 I believe... the bigger clips are part of the entire panel.

Did this change?
It has not changed yet. That request has gone forward to make those available for purchase separately from what I'm told. No timeline is available. Will monitor and report back.
Ford F-150 Lightning Part# Help: Frunk Inner Cover "Twist Clips" Lightning_frunk_panel_retainers

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Oh and BTW...due to the design of these fasteners (either the large ones or the smaller ones) you should try to remember to only turn them clockwise...to latch or unlatch. If you look at the cam on the bottom it's designed to only be turned in one direction. Turning it counter-clockwise will put strain on the small shaft of the inboard larger headed two-piece fasteners and wear them out sooner.

The fasteners go into a rectangular slot on either the top fender edge, or one that's been cut into the frunk tub edge. So just turn the fastener clockwise to lock it...and then turn it 90 degrees clockwise to unlock it again.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Oh and BTW...due to the design of these fasteners (either the large ones or the smaller ones) you should try to remember to only turn them clockwise...to latch or unlatch. If you look at the cam on the bottom it's designed to only be turned in one direction. Turning it counter-clockwise will put strain on the small shaft of the inboard larger headed two-piece fasteners and wear them out sooner.

The fasteners go into a rectangular slot on either the top fender edge, or one that's been cut into the frunk tub edge. So just turn the fastener clockwise to lock it...and then turn it 90 degrees clockwise to unlock it again.
Good to know, probably how I jacked up a couple of mine. Funny how they work differently than every twist-lock type plastic panel clip ford has ever used before.

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Range
Thanks for posting this 3D Print solution.

My dealership lost one of the large clips during the low voltage battery voltage sensor replacement. I asked them to replace it. They told me they could order the clips. I said I thought it was part of the entire panel.

The dealership replaced the large clip with a small clip. The small clip works fine when I turn it on the diagonal to get it out. But, then they lost the base of a different large clip and just put the top on loose for me to discover.

I'm not enjoying going back and forth with the dealership over these two-piece large clips. I think the design is terrible, and I shouldn't be anxious to remove these panels to access things I need to access on the sides of the frunk.

I'm going to try your 3D printed solution, and if I can't get them printed order a handful from you to have on hand.

Thanks, again.

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Range

Did this change?
Dealership lost several "big" clips during a service. It took some back and forth of ordering clips and receiving small clips before the dealership finally had to order the panel and replaced the panel.

1. The small clips can still be ordered as a four pack.

2. The panel comes with all the small clips, all the big clips, and the bases/receiver portion of the big clips.

To my knowledge these are the only two ways clips can be ordered, and only the second option provides big clips.
Sponsored