• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Personal best mi/kwh

BriRi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
You are free to believe whatever you'd like. I find it hard to believe that anyone is getting 385+ miles out of one full battery in "normal" driving.... I think the Ford software is inaccurate. Find a test loop or distance that is known and run it. Check the percentage battery used versus miles gone and check it against Ford's display of mi/kwh. I've done it and they don't match for me. YMMV
Sponsored

Reactions: JRT

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Ford F-150 Lightning Personal best mi/kwh IMG_1646

After making a delivery up a long decently steep grade that has a slow winding road. Coming back down I put it in sport mode and just coasted almost the whole 6 miles on the distance. Once I got to the bottom I put it back to normal, noticed this insane mi/kWh and figured this pic would come in handy at some point.

Many of these numbers are inaccurate... Using a little simple math I can usually prove that my numbers don't add up. Looking at some of these screenshots I see the same thing. If it makes you feel better go ahead and believe them. I don't.
I have a suspicion that one of the reasons the math doesn't math is how Ford determines SOC and what a kWh is when it comes to efficiency. You'll notice you can put a full charge on your battery no matter what the temperature is but what does that SOC really mean? As far as the efficiency calculations go, I think they all base it on the battery containing 131kWhs of potential energy (ER battery). But the truck can only measure the % of the battery capacity (via voltage difference no less), and can't/wont figure that at the current temperature, there's really only 100kWh in there (or whatever). It then figures 1% of SOC is 1.31 kWh when it's really only 1, so your efficiency in cold weather never really seems to line up with the calculation. Since it's warm here, I usually see better results overall, and while I've never done a full to 0 run, I find that my numbers mostly match up.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I dare anyone who thinks they are 2.9 m/kwh to take a straight 72 mph plus drive on an interstate and try to go 380 miles. It's just not happening, this is a brick. If you are happy, awesome, but I'm never telling anyone who is interested in EV to believe the extreme happy path range results.

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
You are free to believe whatever you'd like. I find it hard to believe that anyone is getting 385+ miles out of one full battery in "normal" driving.... I think the Ford software is inaccurate. Find a test loop or distance that is known and run it. Check the percentage battery used versus miles gone and check it against Ford's display of mi/kwh. I've done it and they don't match for me. YMMV
Math don't lie. I have a 55 mile commute and I average 15% SOC. That's 55 / ( 15 * 1.31 ) = 2.8
That's pretty darn close to me.

I dare anyone who thinks they are 2.9 m/kwh to take a straight 72 mph plus drive on an interstate and try to go 380 miles. It's just not happening, this is a brick. If you are happy, awesome, but I'm never telling anyone how is interstate in EV to believe the extreme happy path range results.
I don't believe anyone is claiming they get 2.9 with regular freeway driving. Road trips are a completely different ball park than what most of us are claiming. I try to always qualify (quantify?) my efficiency with a description of my normal commute. So yeah, I probably could get close to 380 just driving my daily commute (which is only a couple miles on the freeway, at 65 and moderate traffic). But I follow the advice of @MickeyAO and other leading battery experts by charging often to keep my delta's as low as possible. So I'm not really keen to drain the battery to prove it (as much as a picture can prove anything on the internet).

A number of people have driven 100% to empty at 70mph and 2.1 or 280ish miles is generally accepted as best case scenario for good weather and flat land. Best I've done is 2.2 at 75mph for 180 miles. I had a 15-20mph tail wind :)

Bestword57

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Ext Range, enhanced tow
I’m only a month into ownership, but I loved driving my kid around to get her to sleep, listening to a ball game and at the end hit a personal best in mi/kwh

1715133338397-s1.jpg
I've often seen those low consumption rates when driving around town which is fairly flat at speeds of around 35-45 mph.. I think wind resistance is definitely a factor. Everything has a bearing on the outcom though. I'm thinking about upping the tire pressure to around 48 and see if it improves. Warm temperature has definitely has favorably affected range in the past on my Volt, but I don't know if temp directly affects consumption.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thequackenbush

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
I’m a month in and have yet to get my charger station pro yet- I have it plugged in pretty constantly into my wall charger. Is this something I shouldn’t be doing?

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Many of these numbers are inaccurate... Using a little simple math I can usually prove that my numbers don't add up. Looking at some of these screenshots I see the same thing. If it makes you feel better go ahead and believe them. I don't.
Mine is based on my mileage and charging data. What data set are you using?

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I dare anyone who thinks they are 2.9 m/kwh to take a straight 72 mph plus drive on an interstate and try to go 380 miles. It's just not happening, this is a brick. If you are happy, awesome, but I'm never telling anyone how is interstate in EV to believe the extreme happy path range results.
Maybe you missed the point of our posts, this is what we are seeing. I can drive 100 miles an hour into a head wind and see crappy mileage too🤷‍♂️

The point is, that is not what we are seeing. As the EPA sticker says, YOUR mileage will vary.

Please don’t try to invalidate our experience because you don’t drive in the exact same conditions or ways we do.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
Maybe you missed the point of our posts, this is what we are seeing. I can drive 100 miles an hour into a head wind and see crappy mileage too🤷‍♂️

The point is, that is not what we are seeing. As the EPA sticker says, YOUR mileage will vary.

Please don’t try to invalidate our experience because you don’t drive in the exact same conditions or ways we do.
Agreed.

It's wild to me how upset some people are about the numbers people are posting.
The thread is literally, "your personal best," not "your lifetime average" or "your 85 mph average."

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
The only thing that confuses me is why Ford left out certain numbers on the average miles per kilowatt display.
I just don’t understand why “this trip” or trip 2 will never read 2.6, or 3.0. Today today after 40 miles of city driving I’m still teetering between 2.9, and 3.1 on both “this trip”, and “trip 2” Both on center display, and Instrument cluster, while skipping over 3.0.
It’s a small thing, but for some reason, it really annoys me that I don’t know why

Ford F-150 Lightning Personal best mi/kwh IMG_1704

Ford F-150 Lightning Personal best mi/kwh IMG_1705

BriRi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Nobody trusts the GOM but for some reason people quote the Ford trip numbers as gospel. I've caught numerous mistakes in mine, but that is my experience alone. I am absolutely not saying that anyone else's numbers aren't 100% accurate (including the person claiming 3.4 mi/kwh over 16k miles, which equates to 445 mile range).

I have no reason to not trust anyone on this forum. I have lots of reasons to not trust my, and mine alone (not yours), Ford software in my personal Lightning (25k + miles).

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
The battery percentage reported is completely whacky and really can't be used to learn anything about the truck. The truck has an internal state of charge that you can read with an OBDII scanner and in my case they can be as much as 10% different I think based on slim evidence (the Out of Spec review where the Lightning ran out of power and Ford's response) is that the displayed SOC is not corrected for voltage while the internal one is - if the truck has sat for 1/2 hour. There might be more than that going on, though, because at a high state of charge the internal percent is lower than the displayed, but at low SOC it is greater or equal.

Neither the internal or displayed state of charge will be completely accurate, battery manufacturers have tables based upon resting voltage (after six hours IIRC) based on experiments with new sample batteries at a precise temperature. You would think that measuring the kWh added to the battery and subtracting the kWh taken from the battery would tell you but unfortunately batteries don't work that way.

The Miles/kWh are probably accurate, the one thing that they know kWh because they know almost exactly how much power is leaving the battery. The "Miles" part depends on how accurate your speedometer is. You can see the instant Miles/kWh using an OBDII scanner. The caveat is that I think they may use a filter to remove very high and very low values.

I just did a run on an almost flat road with constant side wind on that straight part between Eugene and Salem. What I noticed is that I really want Ford to display the instant miles/kWh or some graphical representation thereof (like my Kia) because a lot of factors wildly affect efficiency. By changing my driving slightly I could vary between somewhere around 1.5 mi/kWh and 4 mi/kWh! I don't have good enough data to really talk about, but I will say that position relative to traffic (especially trucks) makes a huge difference, as does speed. If you need to draft a truck don;t be crazy, good numbers can be had at the max radar cruise control follow distance minus one bar.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m a month in and have yet to get my charger station pro yet- I have it plugged in pretty constantly into my wall charger. Is this something I shouldn’t be doing?
I charged on level 1 at my house for 2.5 months waiting for my FCSP to arrive and get installed. It's not a big deal. There are only 2 cons that I'm aware of. First, it's slightly less efficient to charge on level 1 (in terms of energy consumed to charge). The bigger con of being less efficient is that you may not be able to charge in your reduced rate window if you are on TOU utility pricing. Second, you can't precondition the battery on level 1 (only a problem in very cold weather).

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am absolutely not saying that anyone else's numbers aren't 100% accurate...
Except that you did...

Many of these numbers are inaccurate... Using a little simple math I can usually prove that my numbers don't add up. Looking at some of these screenshots I see the same thing.
I think one aspect to keep in mind is cost efficiency vs mileage efficiency. If you base your numbers on the energy from the meter into the battery, that's cost efficiency (which will always look worse due to losses while charging). The intent of this post is mileage efficiency, the actual distance being driven for the energy getting spent. At least, that's my take on it and I wonder if that's the source of some of this debate?
Sponsored