• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Plug-In America Post: The Congressional Review Act and its potential impact on EV tax credits

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Plug-in America posted this story today. It seems some lawmakers are coming for the tax credits if control of congress and/or white house changes...
-----

Finalized EV tax credit guidance
After this comprehensive rulemaking process, the recently finalized rules outline how the tax credit can save consumers up to $7,500 on a new EV and up to $4,000 on a used EV. The rules specify that the tax credits are transferrable, meaning they can be redeemed at the time of purchase, allowing consumers to use them as a down payment, lower their monthly payments, and enable lower-income consumers to access the money even if they don’t pay much in taxes.

Despite this due diligence, some members of Congress who aren’t supportive of clean transportation (and are likely funded by the oil and gas industry) are not happy with the final rules for the EV tax credits. Recently, a bill has been introduced in Congress (H.J.Res.148/S.J.Res.87) to use the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to roll back the final rules on the EV tax credits.

The Congressional Review Act
A CRA is essentially a statement of disapproval from Congress. First enacted in 1996, it is a tool that gives Congress procedures to introduce legislation to overturn agency regulations. Rules can only be overturned if both houses of Congress agree on a joint resolution of disapproval by a simple majority vote. If the president signs the CRA or Congress successfully overrides a presidential veto, the regulations will be voided.

President Biden is almost certain to veto the CRA, and it is unlikely that two-thirds of each chamber will approve this resolution of disapproval. That said, a joint resolution of disapproval sends the message that the Department of Treasury’s rulemaking is not the law’s intent and could open the door to future lawsuits.

What a CRA would mean for the clean vehicle tax credits?

If the resolution succeeds or Congress successfully overrides a presidential veto, the finalized rules would go out of effect immediately and “shall be treated as though such rule had never taken effect.” Additionally, the Internal Revenue Service and Treasury would be prohibited from reissuing a rule in “substantially the same form.” Since the provisions of the tax credits are statutory, meaning they are written into law, the tax credits themselves wouldn’t go away. Still, the clarity provided by the final guidance would be gone – creating significant confusion.
The passage of a CRA would roll back agency regulations on the clean vehicle tax credits, which, because of their complexity, would make the proposal and finalization of any future guidance implausible. Without final guidance, automakers would not be able to determine if their vehicles meet the requirements for the credit. Dealers would also not know which vehicles qualify for the credit. Ultimately, this lack of guidance would lead to consumer confusion and the inability to access the EV tax credits. Additionally, this would eliminate a dealership’s ability to offer the credits as upfront payments, which ensures that all drivers, regardless of tax liability, can access the full value of the incentive.

https://pluginamerica.org/the-congressional-review-act-and-its-potential-impact-on-ev-tax-credits/
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I thought Trump and Elon were buddies now??
Politics makes for strange bedfellows.
So…Let’s just let the Chinese kick our ass on everything so we can just become a territory of China. (or maybe just a consumer of Chinese products which will be everything if we don’t support our domestic manufacturers). If it comes from the left the right does everything in their power to get rid of it and if it comes from the right the left does everything in their power to get rid of it. Come on people your job is to do what is best for the entire country not those (individuals and corporations )who have paid you off!!! Sorry for the rant. I am just so tired of the current state of politics in this country!

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
So…Let’s just let the Chinese kick our ass on everything so we can just become a territory of China. (or maybe just a consumer of Chinese products which will be everything if we don’t support our domestic manufacturers). If it comes from the left the right does everything in their power to get rid of it and if it comes from the right the left does everything in their power to get rid of it. Come on people your job is to do what is best for the entire country not those (individuals and corporations )who have paid you off!!! Sorry for the rant. I am just so tired of the current state of politics in this country!
amen.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Elon doesn't need EV money anymore. He needs the big bucks for SpaceX and AI.

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Elon wants the subsidies to go away, because Tesla is about the only company that would still make ev’s without them.
But don’t think that would keep China at bay. How long did it take China to take over the Russian automobile market (I believe over 50% market share)? 2-3 years? With combustion engine powered vehicles.
At any rate- this won’t happen. Congress can’t agree on anything- for better or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: chl

Crullbri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Semi Retired, Part time Handyman
What is happening with Ford Stock right now???? Ev credit is BS anyway. Didn't qualify for it. How about the amount of new charging stations installed with the large Bill that they passed???? Did I hear 12 in 2 years. How much did they say they spent already?? So many layers of corruption in our government, there is not enough $ that makes it to the end user.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
What is happening with Ford Stock right now???? Ev credit is BS anyway. Didn't qualify for it. How about the amount of new charging stations installed with the large Bill that they passed???? Did I hear 12 in 2 years. How much did they say they spent already?? So many layers of corruption in our government, there is not enough $ that makes it to the end user.
Ford's earnings report was no bueno

Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I pay my taxes, so I'm not complaining about getting some of it back in the form of the $7,500 credit when I bought my LER. Do I think the government should be subsidizing it, no. However, I'll take my money back wherever I can. The only thing that will happen if the gov't takes away that credit, is that EV prices will have to come down by the same amount. We all know the manufacturers will just adjust pricing to soak up some of that "free (tax payer) money".

I disagree with how the article immediately throws the OG bogeyman lobby in there as if that's the only or main reason why someone would be opposed to the credit. From opposing the use of tax dollars to pick private enterprise winners and losers, the increased power that to unelected regulatory agencies have to run our lives; there are good reasons why regulatory decisions should be reviewed and contested.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
and I don't believe that any 'tax credit' has actually EVER lured in any 'unsuspecting' EV buyer, who otherwise would not have made the purchase WITHOUT the supposed 'credit'... as many of those buyers, if any, in the lower tax brackets, would have NEVER received the credit, or certainly not the 'advertised' $7,500, since they don't HAVE that much tax burden.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
and I don't believe that any 'tax credit' has actually EVER lured in any 'unsuspecting' EV buyer, who otherwise would not have made the purchase WITHOUT the supposed 'credit'... as many of those buyers, if any, in the lower tax brackets, would have NEVER received the credit, or certainly not the 'advertised' $7,500, since they don't HAVE that much tax burden.
I disagree with your first part, but agree with the second.

My dad makes considerably less than I do. EV is actually more suited to his use case right now, and he was interested. However, they're still more expensive than he can afford, and we figured out that he wouldn't get much, if any, of that EV credit due to his income bracket.

On the other hand, I made enough to get the full credit amount. In my case I was vaguely interested in EV's; more out of curiosity in the potential driving experience they offered. I wasn't actively looking to get into an EV. Also the use case is not great for my situation. Yet, I the unsuspecting EV buyer got sucked in by the sheer amount of monetary savings I had when compared to the ICE alternative. I did fall for the EPA range numbers, but I was focused $20k savings compared to the ICE alternative.

A bit ironic I think.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
What is happening with Ford Stock right now???? Ev credit is BS anyway. Didn't qualify for it. How about the amount of new charging stations installed with the large Bill that they passed???? Did I hear 12 in 2 years. How much did they say they spent already?
The money from that bill apparently hasn't been spent; it's been earmarked and put up to the states for them to put out requests....that's been the hold up from what I've read.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I agree and disagree! Had it not been for the tax credit and the massive rebates Ford was offering earlier this year I probably would not have purchased mine! I was looking for something more economical than my 2016 expedition EL (so I am used to driving a larger vehicle )and was looking for a truck. I was actually leaning toward the Maverick hybrid. I am certainly glad I bought this truck because it is awesome and I am sure I am much happier than I would have been with the smaller maverick! I know that this is probably not the same reasoning that other people would use.
Sponsored

Reactions: chl