Sponsored

Portable Generator with J+ Booster 2 won't charge

pseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hopeful lightning
I'm going somewhere remote this weekend that will stretch the limits of my range. As an insurance policy, I thought I might bring my portable generator (Honda EG2800i). However, when I plug my J+ Booster 2 into one of the 20Amp 120V outlets on the generator, I get a fault signal on the J+ Booster 2 that indicates "No ground detected at the outlet," and the manual further indicates "Do not charge your vehicle at this outlet. There is a risk of electric shock."

Is that the end of the road for this charging option? I've seen plenty of instances of people using portable generators to charge, but maybe my combination of equipment isn't compatible.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That Honda unit does not have the ground to neutral bond, causing the ground detection in the EVSE to fail. If you make up a short extension cord and jump the neutral and ground in the plug, it should work.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
^^^ Just plug this doodad in the other outlet.

Ford F-150 Lightning Portable Generator with J+ Booster 2 won't charge 1712344751663-1l
Ford F-150 Lightning Portable Generator with J+ Booster 2 won't charge 1712344860012-5y

Or make your own with a plug from Lowes/Home Depot.
Ford F-150 Lightning Portable Generator with J+ Booster 2 won't charge 1712345164500-ll

OP
OP

pseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hopeful lightning
I just wanted to circle back around and say that I tried this and it worked like a charm. I had the parts and successfully made a neutral to ground plug the same day. Thank you all!

In the end, I could charge at 12amps from a 20 amp generator with my J+ Booster 2. It would have taken forever to charge, but it did give me a little peace of mind, though I never needed to use it.
Sponsored