• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction / High Voltage Warning @ 11k miles

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
After work today I started up my truck as usual, but this time I noticed the power was limited it 3%.... Enough for a slow crawl.

I tried turning the truck on and off, but no help. I then got two errors saying Powertrain Malfunction and High Voltage Warning. Last week I got the 12V Battery Drain warning and numerous failed OTA updates.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / High Voltage Warning @ 11k miles PXL_20230710_213023845

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / High Voltage Warning @ 11k miles Screenshot_20230710-173932
Sponsored

Commodore

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, XLT Lightning
Occupation
Pharmacist
Wow! Good luck with that!
Seriously!

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Gotta wait until you get the details from Ford. Hope it's not down too long. Will they provide a loaner? Is that a dealer specific thing or provided at all dealers?

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Gotta wait until you get the details from Ford. Hope it's not down too long. Will they provide a loaner? Is that a dealer specific thing or provided at all dealers?
Hoping Wednesday they can let me know what the issue is. They did indicate they can provide a loaner in the mean time.

I'm just hoping it's not a long term fix. The inability to fix EVs quickly vs an ICE is a huge negative. I know they're supposed to require less maintenance and have less problems, but all I know is my electronics in general fail all the time. Hopefully the power electronics in the truck are more robust and this is a fluke.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
I want to believe Ford has too much at stake to let things get too far out of hand. Still early Tesla problems were crazy frustrating. Waiting for a new battery (even though it was free and given a loaner) was still a PIA! I was lucky when my 12v and main battery started having problems.

Got a notification from Tesla that my 12v battery was going bad. Please stop by soon so we can replace it. The main battery was the same except I had to wait 2 months but was able to drive the car with no loss of performance.

I think it would be inappropriate to say a prayer for your truck but I did light a candle and set and set an oil can on fire to help things along. Hopefully the EV gods are appeased.

Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I started a similar thread 10 days ago, a battery module needed to be replaced. They estimate I'll have the truck back by the end of the week.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I started a similar thread 10 days ago, a battery module needed to be replaced. They estimate I'll have the truck back by the end of the week.

Good luck.
That's not horrible. I would accept a week or two. I'm just worried about these horror stories that people were without the truck for months.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
Mind you I'm not back in the truck yet, but it seems some of the supply and tech constraints we saw last year haven't been as much a problem recently.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I can see via the Ford Pass app that there's some diagnosing going on at the dealership, but my two previous faults has added a 3rd issue. I now have a Antilock Brake issue. Also, there was a Charge Fault that popped up earlier. Lots going on. Eagerly awaiting a call from Ford or the dealership.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / High Voltage Warning @ 11k miles Screenshot_20230711-114349

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The dealership called and indicated they don't know what the issue is. The battery appears OK, but Ford wants them to drop the battery and test the energy control module. Ford also recommended letting it sit for 48 hrs and retesting. So since dropping the battery apparently takes 10 hrs (which I don't believe, they're just going to let it sit until Friday and retest. It's their first Lightning with an issue. It's going to be a science project apparently. They're giving me a Mustang Mach E today because of how long this is going to take them to fix the issue.

It doesn't sound great.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The dealership called and indicated they don't know what the issue is. The battery appears OK, but Ford wants them to drop the battery and test the energy control module. Ford also recommended letting it sit for 48 hrs and retesting. So since dropping the battery apparently takes 10 hrs (which I don't believe, they're just going to let it sit until Friday and retest. It's their first Lightning with an issue. It's going to be a science project apparently. They're giving me a Mustang Mach E today because of how long this is going to take them to fix the issue.

It doesn't sound great.
At least they have a loaner for you.

I wonder if we should start building a list of dealerships that have handled this battery issue. Might come in handy to know which ones have figured it out.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Ughhhh just got these same alerts on my truck yesterday.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The dealership reached out this morning.

On Tuesday when they first started investigating the problem, they weren't sure what the issues were and noticed only two recalls on the vehicle. The dealership called today and Ford remotely diagnosed and linked my truck to a energy module recall. The proactively shipped the component that should be here next Thursday. They indicated a Ford Tech would essentially "Facetime" with them to walk through the installation process. They didn't know when that would happen, but my hope is the week of the 24th.

Until then I'll be driving a free loaner which is a flamming bright yellow low end Mustang Mach E.

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
They arent being truthful. I had a module replaced for the same errors and it took 1-1.5 hours to drop the battery. Maybe they are including the disassembly of the other modules, but to get the battery off the truck doesnt take long at all.
Sponsored