• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro Charger at 80A on 125A panel?

KndrTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Did anyone get sunrun to install their FCSP on a 125A panel and set it to the max 80A? I have a main panel outside my garage that’s 125A with a 100A breaker installed. That goes to my subpanel in my garage for my entire home. I wasn’t really planning to go with sunrun, but let them do a survey and see what they came up with. Initially they said I won’t need any upgrades to my current panels and that I can use it at max capacity. When I looked at their load calc, I saw noticed the power for the charger was done assuming 48A. When I pointed this out, they had the engineer re-run the load calcs and said 80A is still fine without the need to upgrade my service. This doesn’t seem right to me…I have laundry appliances, electric range, dishwasher, etc.
Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
There is NO way you can use full capacity. Even if you can turn off everything to charge @80A, it won't pass regulation. Don't waste your time. Just use the mobile charger, it adds 7kWh/hour. 84kWh after 12 hours. How many days you need to rive more than 200 miles a day continuously?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’d go ahead and install the FCSP at the deprecated setting before I’d rely on the mobile charger as my regular juicer. Just because of all the reported Mobile Charger failures.

OP
OP

KndrTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is NO way you can use full capacity. Even if you can turn off everything to charge @80A, it won't pass regulation. Don't waste your time. Just use the mobile charger, it adds 7kWh/hour. 84kWh after 12 hours. How many days you need to rive more than 200 miles a day continuously?
thats what i'm thinking. i would still have to set up the NEMA 14-50 if i wanted to use my mobile charger. i think ideally i set the pro charger up at 48A. one thing the sunrun rep mentioned was i dont have to pay until its up and running/pass inspection. but he also said they would remove it free of charge. i'm wondering if its a risk worth taking to allow them to charge it knowing it might not work, then i get a free install and just tell them don't worry about removing it. although if it fails inspection, maybe they are required by law to take it out?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thats what i'm thinking. i would still have to set up the NEMA 14-50 if i wanted to use my mobile charger. i think ideally i set the pro charger up at 48A. one thing the sunrun rep mentioned was i dont have to pay until its up and running/pass inspection. but he also said they would remove it free of charge. i'm wondering if its a risk worth taking to allow them to charge it knowing it might not work, then i get a free install and just tell them don't worry about removing it. although if it fails inspection, maybe they are required by law to take it out?
Why do you think it might fail inspection? I’ve never heard of an inspector ask to see a load calc. Even if they did and it came out that you only had ‘X’ KW available for the EVSE, you could further deprecate the FCSP setting and install a smaller breaker.

Sponsored

ninjaybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
I have a 125 panel and Sunrun set mine to 60amps

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
No way you can. I'd guess your at 70% of max load now. I have the same problem. I'm doing a panel upgrade in a few weeks myself.

OP
OP

KndrTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why do you think it might fail inspection? I’ve never heard of an inspector ask to see a load calc. Even if they did and it came out that you only had ‘X’ KW available for the EVSE, you could further deprecate the FCSP setting and install a smaller breaker.
i have no idea how they would, but based on my experience with so far, i wouldn't be surprised they screw it up somehow. they would have to rearrange my breakers and swap things around, so maybe that could lead to them failing? and sunrun is setting it up at max 80A capacity, so it would have to pass at that level with a 100A breaker in my 125A subpanel. i don't have much experience in electrical work, but my uncle has been an EE with over 20 years experience in commercial buildings and he finds it odd they are trying to squeeze this in. might be plausible, but not very practical

OP
OP

KndrTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a 125 panel and Sunrun set mine to 60amps
is your charger set to 60A or you have a 60A breaker in your panel? if the panel has a 60A breaker, they should have set your charger to 48A as there actually isn't a 60A setting

OP
OP

KndrTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No way you can. I'd guess your at 70% of max load now. I have the same problem. I'm doing a panel upgrade in a few weeks myself.
This is the load calc they did
Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Charger at 80A on 125A panel? A3FBB26C-C48C-4C0F-8265-46D34E7F0036

Sponsored

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
That looks like your at 88% capacity with the 100 amp charger. That's really on the fence. Not sure how your jurisdiction would call that. But good for you if they allow. I'm in San Diego, with air conditioning, a room air conditioner, my kids computer system, my daugters rack of hair dryers and curling irons, electric range. Microwave, lights then my tools and crap were about 85% right now without the car charger.

If the city your in let's you do it go for it. Just keep your usage in mind and if I were you I'd de rate the car charger down to about 60 amps ( 48amps) to keep it safe. If you end up needing more power then you can always do a panel upgrade.

If your electrical main is overhead then the upgrade won't be too bad. Our power is underground so it's gonna cost me a chunk of money.

A3FBB26C-C48C-4C0F-8265-46D34E7F0036.jpeg

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A3FBB26C-C48C-4C0F-8265-46D34E7F0036.jpeg
The VA ratings they used for appliances is way too big. A typical dryer would be 5000VA, a disposal and dishwasher 1200 each. The refrigerator isn’t normally specified separately. It looks like they simply took the breaker sizes and used that as the load. What a mess.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Wait a minute. I misread your original post. Your set up like mine. You have a 100 amp service with a 125 amp panel.

So if you only have 100 amp service coming in now then your maxed out with the 100 amp charger. You will need to replace your breaker with a 125amp and or upgrade your panel if I'm understanding this correctly.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
You are wasting your time, and other people's time. There is simply no magic...

OP
OP

KndrTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That looks like your at 88% capacity with the 100 amp charger. That's really on the fence. Not sure how your jurisdiction would call that. But good for you if they allow. I'm in San Diego, with air conditioning, a room air conditioner, my kids computer system, my daugters rack of hair dryers and curling irons, electric range. Microwave, lights then my tools and crap were about 85% right now without the car charger.

If the city your in let's you do it go for it. Just keep your usage in mind and if I were you I'd de rate the car charger down to about 60 amps ( 48amps) to keep it safe. If you end up needing more power then you can always do a panel upgrade.

If your electrical main is overhead then the upgrade won't be too bad. Our power is underground so it's gonna cost me a chunk of money.
I'm not sure about my jurisdiction either. But it surprised me that when its this close, why didn't sunrun recommend an upgrade? It would be more money for them. We have a portable AC unit for the really hot days in the summer and when I've run that in the past, it's tripped the breaker before with too many things on.

Ours is also underground and I'm an HOA community of townhomes, so I feel it would be a huge headache.
Sponsored