• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

For those who have Pro Station Charger, do you have enough capacity to install 80A?

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That would result in a load higher that you would come up with doing an NEC load calculation due to the load diversity factors used in the calculation.

If that measurement says you’re good, you’re good, but if it shows not enough remaining capacity, it’s possible you’re still OK.
I think it’s difficult to make a load calculation based upon specs on labels of motors, heaters, etc., as they do not reflect age/condition, or the specs of any previously-replaced components; whereas, taking an actual current measurement reflects all of the unknowns. True, you’d probably never see an “everything-on” load- but you could say that’s the safety margin…
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I think it’s difficult to make a load calculation based upon specs on labels of motors, heaters, etc., as they do not reflect age/condition, or the specs of any previously-replaced components; whereas, taking an actual current measurement reflects all of the unknowns. True, you’d probably never see an “everything-on” load- but you could say that’s the safety margin…
NEC load calculations are very conservative just for those reasons. I don’t think you’ll ever get into trouble using it.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
Will @Ford Motor Company buyback the FSP? It came with the truck and I don't need it and based on this thread, I am not sure that I want to pay the amount to install it :cry:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Will @Ford Motor Company buyback the FSP? It came with the truck and I don't need it and based on this thread, I am not sure that I want to pay the amount to install it :cry:
No it's just an accessory included with the truck if you have an ER battery. They don't buy it back. You might be able to sell it to someone who wants it but I think the market is somewhat limited.

Mine is still in the box. I don't have enough overhead on my panel to install another car charger -- already have one we share between our Tesla and the Lightning. I have to upgrade my service to 320 or 400 Amps and then I'd have plenty, but it's just not cost-effective.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you need to install an EVSE anyway, it won’t cost any more to install the FCSP than any other if you have it installed for an equivalent charging rate.
For example, run a 60A circuit and set the FCSP’s hardware limit to 48A.

Sponsored

doccoch

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat, 21 Bronco Badlands 2.7
Occupation
physician
finally got my Charge Station Pro installed by an educated electrician yesterday. During my 1st charge at 80A, the cable got hot and the charger faulted. Called my guy back out this am. The did a total re-assessment, read the Ford literature and even called Ford. Had to cut my A down to 60 (64?). Now trying again.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
finally got my Charge Station Pro installed by an educated electrician yesterday. During my 1st charge at 80A, the cable got hot and the charger faulted. Called my guy back out this am. The did a total re-assessment, read the Ford literature and even called Ford. Had to cut my A down to 60 (64?). Now trying again.
What's your software version on the FCSP?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
here it is. I’m hoping will update soon?

IMG_0419.jpeg
Leave your truck unplugged this evening.
Sunday morning switch off the circuit breaker for 30 seconds.
Switch it back on, wait 15 to 30 minutes to allow it to reconnect to the Ford cloud ☁

Recheck the version level, hopefully it will show the current release

Ford F-150 Lightning For those who have Pro Station Charger, do you have enough capacity to install 80A? SmartSelect_20230715_133756_FordPass

doccoch

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
physician
VERY helpful. Thank you!!

Sponsored

talfaro61

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightening
My total capacity is 200A but it will be really hard to get 100A available for the Pro Charger, and i also heard that using 80A will cause overheating; for those who installed Pro charger, do you think it is necessary to make it as maximum 80A or just lower to 50A?
I couldn't use the Charger Pro for the capacity reason. Using the same outlet that I installed for my first Tesla. I can't charge both at the same time, but it works for me. I ended up buying the Euphoria charger and it's excellent as the reviews stated. Electrician installed for $250. Never use Sunrun is my suggestion. Anyone needing the Charger Pro in unopened box, let me know and you will get a deal.

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
My home had/has 200A service. Electric dryer, 2 A/C units (2 ton and a 1.5 ton), Fridge, chest freezre in garage, double oven, gas stove and gas water heater. Had no problem putting in full 100A for the FCSP and charged at 80A in cooler months with no problem. Due to overheating now that it's hot I've dialed it back to stop getting the error notifications.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have 9kW of solar as well, not sure how/if that affects the load calculation.
We have a very similar setup. I still installed it with a 100amp circuit. I decided to just watch my power consumption. However, my fcsp overheated and fried something on the board. Ford is saying they won't replace it due to installation error. One of the leads got loose and seems to cause the damage from heat. So if anyone sees alot of faults then check your hot lugs before it's too late.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
We have a very similar setup. I still installed it with a 100amp circuit. I decided to just watch my power consumption. However, my fcsp overheated and fried something on the board. Ford is saying they won't replace it due to installation error. One of the leads got loose and seems to cause the damage from heat. So if anyone sees alot of faults then check your hot lugs before it's too late.
I'd contact your electrician about that.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
@doccoch
your post seems to state the problem. Almost all of us who installed in warm weather had high temp charger fault. The CSP shipped with .64 firmware after a couple of days of being connected to internet firmware updates. It adjusted the overheating internal tolerances.

well documented here in this forum.

cuurent firmware is xxx.77xxxx

enjoy n

doccoch

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
physician
@doccoch
your post seems to state the problem. Almost all of us who installed in warm weather had high temp charger fault. The CSP shipped with .64 firmware after a couple of days of being connected to internet firmware updates. It adjusted the overheating internal tolerances.

well documented here in this forum.

cuurent firmware is xxx.77xxxx

enjoy n
Do you think I'll be able to adjust back to 80A after the update?
Sponsored