• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recall 23C38 - Update Sync Software

KingStraasha

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue
I just saw this today.

Update Sync Software
Campaign/NHTSA#

23C38/23V801
Issue Date
2023-11-30
Description
Affected vehicles may have software logic that does not reset the electronic stability control esc system to default operation at the initiation of each ignition cycle. Section 5.4.1 of fmvss no. 126 requires that the vehicles esc system return to the manufacturers original default esc mode at the initiation of each ignition cycle
Safety Risk
The vehicle operator may not notice that the vehicle operates differently after receiving the ota update 6.3.0 and now remains in off-road mode with a reduced esc state after cycling the ignition. If the vehicle operator does not notice the esc off telltale in the cluster, they may not know the vehicle is in a reduced esc state. For these vehicles, failing to revert back to a normal esc-on state after being in off-road mode makes the vehicles noncompliant to fmvss no. 126, increasing the risk of crash.
Remedy
The remedy for this program is a software update to accessory protocol interface module apim. Ford began Ford power-up over-the-air deployments to update the apim software for affected vehicles in November 2023. Alternatively, owners will have the option to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to complete the software update. There will be no charge for this service. Ford provided the general reimbursement plan for the cost of remedies paid for by vehicle owners prior to notification of a safety recall in may 2023. The ending date for reimbursement eligibility is estimated to be January 5, 2024. Ford will forward a copy of the notification letters to dealers to the agency when available.

Moderator update:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/attachments/rclrpt-23v801-2565-pdf.76170/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
What is an "esc state"?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Electronic Stability Control

starrtech2000

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER 511a
I just saw this today.

Update Sync Software
Campaign/NHTSA#

23C38/23V801
Issue Date
2023-11-30
Description
Affected vehicles may have software logic that does not reset the electronic stability control esc system to default operation at the initiation of each ignition cycle. Section 5.4.1 of fmvss no. 126 requires that the vehicles esc system return to the manufacturers original default esc mode at the initiation of each ignition cycle
Safety Risk
The vehicle operator may not notice that the vehicle operates differently after receiving the ota update 6.3.0 and now remains in off-road mode with a reduced esc state after cycling the ignition. If the vehicle operator does not notice the esc off telltale in the cluster, they may not know the vehicle is in a reduced esc state. For these vehicles, failing to revert back to a normal esc-on state after being in off-road mode makes the vehicles noncompliant to fmvss no. 126, increasing the risk of crash.
Remedy
The remedy for this program is a software update to accessory protocol interface module apim. Ford began Ford power-up over-the-air deployments to update the apim software for affected vehicles in November 2023. Alternatively, owners will have the option to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to complete the software update. There will be no charge for this service. Ford provided the general reimbursement plan for the cost of remedies paid for by vehicle owners prior to notification of a safety recall in may 2023. The ending date for reimbursement eligibility is estimated to be January 5, 2024. Ford will forward a copy of the notification letters to dealers to the agency when available.
any info on which vehicles are affected?

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I just saw this today.

Update Sync Software
Campaign/NHTSA#

23C38/23V801
Issue Date
2023-11-30
Description
Safety Risk
Remedy
Another reason I'm very glad I've been on 4.1.2 forever. I'll wait until all these bugs are sorted out lol

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Stuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 1999 Corvette Roadster
Occupation
Real Estate
I turned off the automatic software updating from the vehicle screen but couldn't find the current software version number. Anyone know where it is?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Im not sure if this was posted in any of the other threads, I looked around. But while checking to see if the CSP had cleared from my account, I noticed that there is another recall that came our 28 Nov 2023. Sync 4 Recall at the dealer? Anyone else seeing this? I am assuming this will be an OTA eventually? I really dont want to go to the dealer anymore.

Ford F-150 Lightning Recall 23C38 - Update Sync Software Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 3.30.24 PM

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Yep! Just checked and it’s there for my 2022 Lariat Er.

Edit: PS. The NHTSA website lookup doesn’t show it though. 🤔

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Im not sure if this was posted in any of the other threads, I looked around. But while checking to see if the CSP had cleared from my account, I noticed that there is another recall that came our 28 Nov 2023. Sync 4 Recall at the dealer? Anyone else seeing this? I am assuming this will be an OTA eventually? I really dont want to go to the dealer anymore.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 3.30.24 PM.png
Moved your post into the relevant thread.

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
This is such B.S. if I want sport mode to stick it should stick you would think. I get tow mode or off-road mode sure, let those reset sure…. Come on man, what is wrong with me setting it at eco/normal or sport mode and letting it stick until further notice. Geez 🙄

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I turned off the automatic software updating from the vehicle screen but couldn't find the current software version number. Anyone know where it is?
There is no overall truck software version. Ford issues updates call Power Ups and they are numbered like a version X.x.x. Each Power Up update updates the software of a differ module or set of modules (e.g. one update targets the modem/telematics unit, the next one the gateway module, the one after the APIM/head unit/UI, the one after updates the powertrain systems... and so on)

A Ford tech with FDRS software can pull your trucks status and tell you what modules have an update available. There are folks on here who will do this for you if you ask nicely.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
This is such B.S. if I want sport mode to stick it should stick you would think. I get tow mode or off-road mode sure, let those reset sure…. Come on man, what is wrong with me setting it at eco/normal or sport mode and letting it stick until further notice. Geez 🙄

I wonder if we could compare ForScan data before and after to see if this is configurable?
Sponsored