Sponsored

Recall 23C38 - Update Sync Software

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
" The software on the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), part number PU5T-14G682-EL, will be updated to no longer store the drive mode settings from the previous ignition cycle."

If I'm reading that correctly...the drive mode staying in Sport was actually a glitch/bad logic and is being patched back to its intended function?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
" The software on the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), part number PU5T-14G682-EL, will be updated to no longer store the drive mode settings from the previous ignition cycle."

If I'm reading that correctly...the drive mode staying in Sport was actually a glitch/bad logic and is being patched back to its intended function?
Not quite - it was intentional (as far as I can tell), but they forgot to only save it for sport and were also saving the offroad setting which could cause some safety issues.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
So if we never use any driving mode other than standard, we shouldn't have a problem, right? Only if we go to the off-road driving mode and turn off the ignition in that mode should we have a problem with Esc Off, presumably. The notice on my online Ford Dashboard doesn't say anything about an OTA update. Says to take the truck to a dealer (yet my online Dashboard also says, "Remedy Not Yet Available"). Yet I recently received a Sync update (within the last week or two).

Not mentioned specifically in this thread but I presume for all the concern that once you get caught with Esc Off, there is no way to reactivate Esc On manually?

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
So if we never use any driving mode other than standard, we shouldn't have a problem, right? Only if we go to the off-road driving mode and turn off the ignition in that mode should we have a problem with Esc Off, presumably. The notice on my online Ford Dashboard doesn't say anything about an OTA update. Says to take the truck to a dealer (yet my online Dashboard also says, "Remedy Not Yet Available"). Yet I recently received a Sync update (within the last week or two).

Not mentioned specifically in this thread but I presume for all the concern that once you get caught with Esc Off, there is no way to reactivate Esc On manually?
I think you just put it back into Normal or Sport, which you should do anyway once get back on road.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
This is such B.S. if I want sport mode to stick it should stick you would think. I get tow mode or off-road mode sure, let those reset sure…. Come on man, what is wrong with me setting it at eco/normal or sport mode and letting it stick until further notice. Geez 🙄
I don't think Sport mode is an issue. The issue is with the differential lock engaged in Off-Road Mode. Sport Mode doesn't turn on Off-Road mode and should not be affected.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat

Just turn off Off-Road mode and ESC will return to normal operations. For safety's sake, only turn on Off-Road mode when you need it. It should not be used for normal driving since, as the recall suggests, increases the risk of a crash since ESC can't assist with rear wheel skid control when the differential is locked.

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 1999 Corvette Roadster
Occupation
Real Estate
There is no overall truck software version. Ford issues updates call Power Ups and they are numbered like a version X.x.x. Each Power Up update updates the software of a differ module or set of modules (e.g. one update targets the modem/telematics unit, the next one the gateway module, the one after the APIM/head unit/UI, the one after updates the powertrain systems... and so on)

A Ford tech with FDRS software can pull your trucks status and tell you what modules have an update available. There are folks on here who will do this for you if you ask nicely.
Thank you, 3121 !

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
How does the sync display the most recent recall update, just had mine done today still has the same screen. Also had the rear light bar replaced today.

Ford F-150 Lightning Recall 23C38 - Update Sync Software IMG_5914

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
How does the sync display the most recent recall update, just had mine done today still has the same screen. Also had the rear light bar replaced today.
Sync software version has no relation to other module updates.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Had been waiting for the Sync module update OTA. But in complaining to Ford that my FCSP was locked into a low charging rate (14.5 A) when hardware set to 80 A and software set in FordPass to 48 A, a Ford rep said on her end that it looked like an OTA update hadn't installed properly. I had the Sync recall and BECM 23B57 CSP fixes outstanding, so I should have my dealer check my truck.

Seemed like a good point. The DC fast charging update was installed successfully on 12/13/23 by the Sync screen report, but an apparent reinstall on 12/19 was reported as Not Complete. Also, on 12/13, Power Up 6.5 was reported as complete by a FordPass status alert, Not Complete by the truck, and FordPass never got a confirming message for 6.5 in the Message Center.

So, my dealer SA told me today I didn't need the Sync module update. My truck already had the latest Sync module (strange, I never got any in-truck or FordPass notice!?). Similarly, the SA said their analysis showed all previous OTA updates had been installed successfully, and none needed to be reinstalled.

Hope he's right. My truck has worked great since I got it 8 months ago. Just FCSP/HIS unit behavior that's been a problem.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Tech came to do this and my BMS replacement (although he didn't know he was supposed to do this). He said he didn't have a USB stick, nor had he done one, and called another tech who told him it could be 6 hours... I don't think he or the other guy had a clue.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Tech came to do this and my BMS replacement (although he didn't know he was supposed to do this). He said he didn't have a USB stick, nor had he done one, and called another tech who told him it could be 6 hours... I don't think he or the other guy had a clue.
I think this is a sad but true thing.
@Ford Motor Company really needs to communicate and give their techs not only more information but better information so they can better serve all of us, including their brand.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
So I got a form letter today from Ford telling me this recall hasn't been done according to their records (the recall was last December). I'm positive I got the update via OTA as I am unable to keep Sport mode between restarts. Plus I would have thought the dealer would have done this when they replaced my battery module in April.

And according to the info in post 16, the issue can be identified by "At key ignition, the cluster will display the “ESC Off” (skidding car) telltale." I don't get that telltale. And the fix is to update the APIM but my APIM does not show needing an update.

Frustrating @Ford Motor Company. I guess I'll have Mobile Tech come out so I can get this off my account.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
So I got a form letter today from Ford telling me this recall hasn't been done according to their records (the recall was last December). I'm positive I got the update via OTA as I am unable to keep Sport mode between restarts. Plus I would have thought the dealer would have done this when they replaced my battery module in April.

And according to the info in post 16, the issue can be identified by "At key ignition, the cluster will display the “ESC Off” (skidding car) telltale." I don't get that telltale. And the fix is to update the APIM but my APIM does not show needing an update.

Frustrating @Ford Motor Company. I guess I'll have Mobile Tech come out so I can get this off my account.
I still have it showing on my 22 Lariat as well. I took it in for the recall right after the first of the year. I asked the service rep about it last week when taking it in for the 10,000 mile tire rotation and inspection.

Their response was that the tech enters the information in the system and Ford takes it down. They claim to have done all they can.

I’ll be talking to the service manager next week.
Sponsored