Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
did I miss something?!? Where did February come from? Is that hearsay or legitimate? I don’t want to get excited prematurely.
Jenny Pretare, Tesla design manager of Charging Infrastructure, said at a city planning meeting in Utah:

“Our first car company, Ford, and then GM, are starting in February 2024...
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the behavior I get. I guess the button was “continue”, it’s 1 minute from when you plug in.
Do nothing.

That button is simply for the impatient customer to see the next screen. It does nothing to change the vehicle's connection speed.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
And what is to stop them now? If EA can read the VIN and identify my car what is to stop a SC from reading the same thing? Ford is already sending it. I just checked my SC receipts and the Tesla to Tesla ones do list the VIN and the Tesla to MD to Ford do not.
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying but I’m sure Tesla can and will read some identifying info from the vehicle. My point was that you won’t be able to start a session just using the Tesla app. I believe the work that is going on to enable access is for Ford to provide the list of vehicles to Tesla and then setting up the data exchange so Ford can bill the appropriate account. I don’t expect that there will be any OTA or other update needed on the trucks.

For a while Rivian’s were unable to use EVGo’s version of Plug and Charge because they used the same MAC address for the charger interface on every truck. They had to push out an update to program a unique MAC to make it work. I’m not sure if EA also uses this MAC address or if the VIN can also be read. Of course Tesla has the data to know which MAC goes with each VIN for their vehicles so maybe Ford needs to supply that cross reference to make it work.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
The 4 different EA chargers I have used all had a pop up on the charger screen that said something like “press to begin charging” after it went through the handshake.
That is my limited experience as well. After the handshake you get a Welcome Driver screen that displays the Session fee and the Price (per kWh or per-minute). Along the bottom of that screen there are buttons for Cancel on the left and Continue on the right. If you don't press anything it eventually starts charging and goes to a screen that shows charge details. But I guess they want you to know the fee before they begin and have a chance to Cancel.

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Do nothing.

That button is simply for the impatient customer to see the next screen. It does nothing to change the vehicle's connection speed.
I was so sure that it waited for that bar to fill up or continue to be pressed to have it move on to actually connecting and charging... If this is true then that's great.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was so sure that it waited for that bar to fill up or continue to be pressed to have it move on to actually connecting and charging... If this is true then that's great.
As I said, been using it for 2.5 years and only push continue to see the next screen sooner.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying but I’m sure Tesla can and will read some identifying info from the vehicle. My point was that you won’t be able to start a session just using the Tesla app. I believe the work that is going on to enable access is for Ford to provide the list of vehicles to Tesla and then setting up the data exchange so Ford can bill the appropriate account. I don’t expect that there will be any OTA or other update needed on the trucks.

For a while Rivian’s were unable to use EVGo’s version of Plug and Charge because they used the same MAC address for the charger interface on every truck. They had to push out an update to program a unique MAC to make it work. I’m not sure if EA also uses this MAC address or if the VIN can also be read. Of course Tesla has the data to know which MAC goes with each VIN for their vehicles so maybe Ford needs to supply that cross reference to make it work.
Your point was that the adapter can’t distinguish the car’s make/model and that Ford and GM have been designated as first. That would be a good reason why you could not use this adapter. I checked my receipt from the Tesla Magic Dock session and it did not list my VIN (bad sign), but charging a Tesla does list my VIN. EA can identify my car though, is it really that Tesla can’t or is it that they just aren’t yet because the Magic Dock is the gatekeeper so they don’t need to. I don’t see why Tesla can’t do a VIN lookup before initiating to determine Ford/GM. I think they already do that for salvage Teslas to block them from supercharging.

Reactions: GDN

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
My only issue about buying an adapter before Ford/Tesla offers one is that what if the one Ford/Tesla make has an angle or extension for Us F150 owners to be able to charge at a tesla charger where a cord wont reach without taking up two spaces? Surely when Ford and Tesla got together this was a known issue with the lightning being able to charge at a Tesla supercharger.

Sponsored

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
We need out of spec Kyle to test this for us, and make an hour and 45 min video about it.
He does get carried away. 🤣😂. But he is really intelligent and knowledgeable about his subject matter.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
My only issue about buying an adapter before Ford/Tesla offers one is that what if the one Ford/Tesla make has an angle or extension for Us F150 owners to be able to charge at a tesla charger where a cord wont reach without taking up two spaces? Surely when Ford and Tesla got together this was a known issue with the lightning being able to charge at a Tesla supercharger.
I'll be surprised if it's an extension - mostly for thermal management, weight, and cost issues. Worth waiting to see what's available if you're not in a big hurry for sure.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I'll be surprised if it's an extension - mostly for thermal management, weight, and cost issues. Worth waiting to see what's available if you're not in a big hurry for sure.
We don't know. That's for sure, but even an adapter hasn't got to fully be as capable as a supercharger as far as a supercharger cable has to be able to charge car after car after car, whereas your looking at using these adapters every couple of hours at the most. The wiring in a vehicle isn't liquid cooled, so an extension shouldn't need to be either, as well as an adapter. The wiring, connections and such have to be capable of the amperage though.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles