Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
To be clear I don’t have a “tin hat” mentality,...
Can you kindly link me an article where lawyers got involved due to a bad adaptor? It was this fear that prompted my accusation. I'm willing to be convinced that it's not an extreme fear but not motivated enough to do the sleuthing for it. That said, I also apologize for that. Poor form for me to call someone out in that manner.

...but this company is clearly using misleading and potentially deceptive advertising and that should cause the hairs on any normal person to stand up on their neck.
Who doesn't? Ford uses misleading advertising, should we not have bought the Lightning? Again, I agree with you that performing due diligence is a must. I find no fault in your hesitation to be an early adopter of their product in this regard.

Let’s be honest. If these were officially approved by Tesla, do you not think that the NDA and approval would have also required them to delay releasing it to coincide with Tesla’s own release and when you can actually use them? Don’t you think. Tesla is a very successful company. This is not there first rodeo and are not stupid enough to give away a competitive advantage.
I do think. I'm aware that the adaptors, even Tesla's, will not be "smart" adaptors. There will be no way to verify that an authentic Tesla made adaptor is the one being used nor will it be a requirement. This is a fact that cannot be disputed, as we have real life evidence of its use thanks to Tom's video covering it. I'll not argue that Tesla has blessed A2Z with their approval. I will argue that it is irrelevant and that the product is 100% compatible, again as seen in real life from the prototype tested by Tom.

Tesla's advantage in the charging space come's from their reliability and reputation. But that doesn't mean that every other product made is inferior or not capable of similar performance, nor that they are not safe. I'm not trying to persuade you to buy it, I'm just trying to provide an opposing opinion so that others reading have two points of view and can make their own educated decision.
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Can you kindly link me an article where lawyers got involved due to a bad adaptor? It was this fear that prompted my accusation. I'm willing to be convinced that it's not an extreme fear but not motivated enough to do the sleuthing for it. That said, I also apologize for that. Poor form for me to call someone out in that manner.

Who doesn't? Ford uses misleading advertising, should we not have bought the Lightning? Again, I agree with you that performing due diligence is a must. I find no fault in your hesitation to be an early adopter of their product in this regard.

I do think. I'm aware that the adaptors, even Tesla's, will not be "smart" adaptors. There will be no way to verify that an authentic Tesla made adaptor is the one being used nor will it be a requirement. This is a fact that cannot be disputed, as we have real life evidence of its use thanks to Tom's video covering it. I'll not argue that Tesla has blessed A2Z with their approval. I will argue that it is irrelevant and that the product is 100% compatible, again as seen in real life from the prototype tested by Tom.

Tesla's advantage in the charging space come's from their reliability and reputation. But that doesn't mean that every other product made is inferior or not capable of similar performance, nor that they are not safe. I'm not trying to persuade you to buy it, I'm just trying to provide an opposing opinion so that others reading have two points of view and can make their own educated decision.
Peace out dude….i hope you have a great day and learn other have differing opinions to yours and it is not our jobs to prove you wrong.

Good luck!

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
You won’t be able to use the app to start a Supercharger with the adapter. Tesla will need to verify the vehicle is a Ford by reading the VIN or the MAC address through PLC before it will allow it to charge. Otherwise once they open it to Ford any vehicle could get an adapter and use the app. The only Superchargers that will activate through the app will be Magic Docks.
And what is to stop them now? If EA can read the VIN and identify my car what is to stop a SC from reading the same thing? Ford is already sending it. I just checked my SC receipts and the Tesla to Tesla ones do list the VIN and the Tesla to MD to Ford do not.

Reactions: GDN

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Peace out dude….i hope you have a great day and learn other have differing opinions to yours and it is not our jobs to prove you wrong.

Good luck!
I think you missed the last sentence in my previous post. Having two opposing opinions is not a bad thing. The proving goes both ways, it just depends on how motivated one is to state their case. It seems neither of us care to make our case stronger in that respect. No problem with that. Happy to move on.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I think you missed the last sentence in my previous post. Having two opposing opinions is not a bad thing. The proving goes both ways, it just depends on how motivated one is to state their case. It seems neither of us care to make our case stronger in that respect. No problem with that. Happy to move on.
Sorry but asking me to prove something that is clearly logic “show me when lawyers get involved” is trying to have an argument, rather then accepting that I have different well documented and referenced opinions that are mine and are my truths.

I am sorry that your post appear you prefer to argue with others when your believes and theirs differ, but I don’t support that type of toxic behavior.

If you want to provide a sound defense with links to refute my believes and have a debate, that is a separate discussion and what this forum is about. But to ask me to defend my belief with a “show me” type post is not a debate, that is arguing

I hope you have a great day!

Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Everybody chill.

I promise that no meals will be missed, nor children gone without shoes, because I spent $200. And I also promise to post results from my first Supercharger session, flaming or otherwise.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks. Got it. It makes me wonder what is happening when I plug in to L2 in my house. When those blue lights on the port do their initiation dance. Is there a switch that is disconnected and looking for communication pins to tell the truck this is a ligit AC 240V 60Hz power and OK to close the switch? If that is the case, truck may be able to protect itself if DC is present on AC pins by keeping the connection open. If that is the case a Ford adapter may be more capable than A2Z. I am just getting into wishful thinking at this point but I got your point.
All of the adapters will be for SuperChargers only, or Destination Chargers only.

The only benefit for plug n charge using a supercharger is for FordPass to upcharge. It was literally faster for me to turn on the Tesla supercharger in the app and plug the charger in that it was for me to wait at the EA charger for it to do the handshake and me to wait to press the “start charge” button on the charger. It’s already better than the best EA/FordPass experience (minus the short cable).
Then you're using Plug and Charge wrong. Plug in. DONE. No buttons to push.

This isn't correct. Billing is going to be handled through the BOCN, basically plug and charge. Irrelevant of the adapter. Magic Dock was clearly a testing apparatus for Tesla, and I wouldn't expect the rollout to continue. Everyone is obsessing over the adapter and it is simply moving the pins, making the ports on the car and charger compatible. CCS and v3 NACS communicate on the same ISO standard. The adapter is "dumb", just a physical connection. Everyone is making too much of this. Tesla and Ford can make this happen overnight if they so choose, and it is clear Ford and GM will be the first beneficiary's of the Supercharger network.
Magic Dock is not a testing apparatus for Tesla, it's the 3,500 SuperCharger rollout promised by end of 2024 to the administration.

Reactions: dww

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It says right on the main adapter page it is approved by Tesla.
It doesn't say this anywhere on the website, and in fact is not approved by anyone.

cu2000

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Retailer
Adapter needs to
be UL certified . Tesla has to authorize the adapter. If both yes it should work if it can handle the Amperage

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry but asking me to prove something that is clearly logic “show me when lawyers get involved” is trying to have an argument, rather then accepting that I have different well documented and referenced opinions that are mine and are my truths.

I am sorry that your post appear you prefer to argue with others when your believes and theirs differ, but I don’t support that type of toxic behavior.

If you want to provide a sound defense with links to refute my believes and have a debate, that is a separate discussion and what this forum is about. But to ask me to defend my belief with a “show me” type post is not a debate, that is arguing

How is it clearly logic? I'm genuinely curious if I'm out in left field about this fear of lawyers getting involved over a 3rd party adaptor. I try to keep up on EV news and I haven't seen anything that points me in that direction. I want to be educated, is that a bad thing to ask for some supporting evidence? I've never once said that you don't have evidence. I did imply that the fear was unwarranted, and I've since apologized for the tin foil hat comment. I'm trying to keep this civil, as I want to promote a healthy conversation of two opposing views.

Asking for evidence of a claim is not argumentative or toxic, it's prudent. In a debate, is one side supposed to always believe that the other is correct? Just like we should question the legitimacy of a companies claims, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for proof of a claim. If I say that I have evidence that Tesla's adaptor will allow charging at up to 500amps, would you take me at face value or would you ask for proof?

Being able to debate opposing views is not toxic unless it devolves into name calling. Again, I nearly went that way and I'm sorry for that.

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
How is it clearly logic? I'm genuinely curious if I'm out in left field about this fear of lawyers getting involved over a 3rd party adaptor. I try to keep up on EV news and I haven't seen anything that points me in that direction. I want to be educated, is that a bad thing to ask for some supporting evidence? I've never once said that you don't have evidence. I did imply that the fear was unwarranted, and I've since apologized for the tin foil hat comment. I'm trying to keep this civil, as I want to promote a healthy conversation of two opposing views.

Asking for evidence of a claim is not argumentative or toxic, it's prudent. In a debate, is one side supposed to always believe that the other is correct? Just like we should question the legitimacy of a companies claims, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for proof of a claim. If I say that I have evidence that Tesla's adaptor will allow charging at up to 500amps, would you take me at face value or would you ask for proof?

Being able to debate opposing views is not toxic unless it devolves into name calling. Again, I nearly went that way and I'm sorry for that.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Then you're using Plug and Charge wrong. Plug in. DONE. No buttons to push.
The 4 different EA chargers I have used all had a pop up on the charger screen that said something like “press to begin charging” after it went through the handshake. I think the first one timed while I was sitting in the truck and I had to start over (was a month ago so not 100%) but since then I would hang out at the charger after plugging in and they all had that message with a button to press. Maybe it defaults to start and I just need to wait but I am fairly sure the first one timed out and did not start a charge.

Reactions: JRT

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Adapter needs to
be UL certified . Tesla has to authorize the adapter. If both yes it should work if it can handle the Amperage
The A2Z adaptor has already been tested and it supplied power without any issues. I do not see any indication that Tesla will require authorization for the adaptor. Sure, they can make a statement that we shouldn't use non approved adaptors. Several other providers have done that, and it places the liability squarely on us if we choose to use a 3rd party. No if's, and's, or but's when it's in black and white. But that won't prevent the adaptor from working.

If I recall, the A2Z adaptor has already begun testing to be UL certified. The problem, I think Tom talked about this in his interview with the CEO, is that there aren't any standards for adaptors.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 4 different EA chargers I have used all had a pop up on the charger screen that said something like “press to begin charging” after it went through the handshake. I think the first one timed while I was sitting in the truck and I had to start over (was a month ago so not 100%) but since then I would hang out at the charger after plugging in and they all had that message with a button to press. Maybe it defaults to start and I just need to wait but I am fairly sure the first one timed out and did not start a charge.
Been using Plug and Charge for 2.5 years and never touched the charger.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
Yes, it is certified to work. They have an NDA in place but you can infer they have the okay from Tesla. A special handshake is not possible, as these devices are simply electrical connectors, they don't contain software. I wanted to be early getting the adapter as I road trip frequently, and when the network opens in February and the Ford adapter is actually released the backlog is going to be huge. I have zero concerns about this device not working.
did I miss something?!? Where did February come from? Is that hearsay or legitimate? I don’t want to get excited prematurely.
Sponsored