Sponsored

Running the Battery to 0%

Box Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
That is interesting. Any other similar entries in the shop manual? Is the cell rebalancing timing conditions addressed?
The description is very terse. Instructions direct technicians to trigger a 48 h cycle at the end of which balancing is either done or interrupted, then scan the average voltage variation PID and repeat with extra cycles if needed. There is also another procedure applied at the large serviceable module level (not the cell groups) which uses an external tool for faster balancing when replacing a whole module. In the end the goal is the same, reach a balance on the open voltage of the individual cell groups (as an approximation of SoC balancing) which are the ones that are sampled by the BECM. I suppose this is possible over such a large voltage range since the slope is rather linear and not flat like in LFP cells.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The description is very terse. Instructions direct technicians to trigger a 48 h cycle at the end of which balancing is either done or interrupted, then scan the average voltage variation PID and repeat with extra cycles if needed. There is also another procedure applied at the large serviceable module level (not the cell groups) which uses an external tool for faster balancing when replacing a whole module. In the end the goal is the same, reach a balance on the open voltage of the individual cell groups (as an approximation of SoC balancing) which are the ones that are sampled by the BECM. I suppose this is possible over such a large voltage range since the slope is rather linear and not flat like in LFP cells.
That’s one status that was available in ForScan that wasn’t available in CarScanner (that I saw). There’s a sensor in the BECM that read the rebalancing.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model S
I had a similar experience, and while at first I thought I was 'out' of all power, it actually wanted me to put it in PARK, then back into gear, to move forward, even slowly... give it a try next time.
I tried this. When putting it in drive, I would push the accelerator and the truck would roll back slowly, so I ended up back in neutral pushing it...A heavy beast!!! I got my workout in for the 300yds back to my house...

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
Just as a follow up to my earlier post (#4)... AHHHH... SUMMER!! This is me the past couple of days. I have a Pro. Check out my alleged 100% range. The other pic is my GOM at the airport, at 73% compared with 53% in winter at 40 degrees doing the exact same trip. I ran the A/C the whole way down too.

Ford F-150 Lightning Running the Battery to 0% 73 per
Ford F-150 Lightning Running the Battery to 0% 249 mi

Last edited:

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I expect to get 600,000-1.5M miles from both the Lightning and the Mustang.
I wonder how far out Ford will support the software on the truck. With newer vehicles, will software support be akin to trying to find a window crank for a '72 Malibu?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I wonder how far out Ford will support the software on the truck. With newer vehicles, will software support be akin to trying to find a window crank for a '72 Malibu?
As long as Ford doesn't sabotage the software when they EOL the vehicle software support, I don't think it'll matter much if they provide ongoing OTA updates. And at some point we'll find independents can make updates...
Sponsored