• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Side Mirror on Platinum - $1800+ repair

paulcusick3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I did something stupid and will pay for it. This is just a FYI.

While backing up in my own driveway, something I've done hundreds of time in the lighting, I clipped the pole to our basketball net. This pushed the mirror past the opening and broke. It is not hanging down, but fully broken. Mirror, camera and indicators are fine. Power fold dead. Painted housing cracked.

Non-insurance Bodyshop price here in MA ~$1800. So this is part of why our insurance is going up so much....

I'm paying the price for my mistake..... and it hurts.
Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Man sorry to hear this. I did the same thing backing into my garage and I was looking directly at the mirror and just misjudged how close I was.
I only cracked the light so I did the install myself for $60, check eBay for a replacement.

Electric Messiah

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I had an unfortunate joust with another truck's mirror on a narrow road, and came out the worse from the encounter, but luckily recently found another on Ebay in the exact color as my Lightning Lariat. However it came with the mirror itself detached from one of its anchor holds-- bottom line, everything works, except have to adjust the mirror itself by hand. But paid about $500 as opposed to $1,800. for it. As for installation, body shop did it for free and it took about 5 minutes to remove the old one and to replace it with the new. Seems a project that somebody relatively handy could do with ease. (And in a note to Ford-- the plastic parts to the rear view mirrors easily break, and it would be nice to for them composed of less fragile , "built Ford tough" plastic.)

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
I had an unfortunate joust with another truck's mirror on a narrow road, and came out the worse from the encounter, but luckily recently found another on Ebay in the exact color as my Lightning Lariat. However it came with the mirror itself detached from one of its anchor holds-- bottom line, everything works, except have to adjust the mirror itself by hand. But paid about $500 as opposed to $1,800. for it. As for installation, body shop did it for free and it took about 5 minutes to remove the old one and to replace it with the new. Seems a project that somebody relatively handy could do with ease. (And in a note to Ford-- the plastic parts to the rear view mirrors easily break, and it would be nice to for them composed of less fragile , "built Ford tough" plastic.)
But then you might cause damage further in, that may be more expensive. Not that $1,800 is cheap. might be considered a "breakaway" part....

OP
OP

paulcusick3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I did look on ebay and other auto salvage sites. No luck on color. I also did remove the entire mirror and try and rig something, but the internal gears are a mess. That with the painted housing a goner, I bit the bullet on the full repair.

I am keeping the broken one. I may part out the camera, turn signal and mirror with blind spot indicator.... or just keep it for backup parts....
Sponsored