• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Single Tire replacement question?

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
I blew out my right front tire going over a median yesterday. The tires have a good amount of tread left, 6mm, so would like to not have to replace all of them. Would the new one have enough difference in tread depth to necessitate shaving it down to match the other 3?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I blew out my right front tire going over a median yesterday. The tires have a good amount of tread left, 6mm, so would like to not have to replace all of them. Would the new one have enough difference in tread depth to necessitate shaving it down to match the other 3?
I had something similar happen to my Mach-E(4X). I ended up replacing the pair (not all 4). That keeps the tire diameter identical on each axle. A slight difference front to rear isn’t going to be a problem.

OP
OP
LazyLightningATX

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
I had something similar happen to my Mach-E(4X). I ended up replacing the pair (not all 4). That keeps the tire diameter identical on each axle. A slight difference front to rear isn’t going to be a problem.
OK, that was one question I had, was if just matching the fronts would work. I did talk to tire rack and they offer tire shaving for just 25-30 bucks, so ill still prob go that route to save some $.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
OK, that was one question I had, was if just matching the fronts would work. I did talk to tire rack and they offer tire shaving for just 25-30 bucks, so ill still prob go that route to save some $.
Wtf. That's ridiculous.

I would have 2 new ones put on the front and keep the good used one for a spare.
It's an economic decision (shaving one or buying two). You can find the original tread depth, and see how much you've lost. But 6mm is likely way too much to just put on one tire without shaving it. Me - I'd buy 2 tires and a rim and have a fully functional spare.

OP
OP
LazyLightningATX

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Thanks for the input all. Ultimately, I am going to do the simplest thing and shave a tire down to match the rest. Then when I need new tires (probably at least a year from now), I can just buy all 4. Otherwise, Id be buying two at a time, at different times and really just don't need an extra tire and or wheel hanging around. Also, I would be having tread matching issues with it when/if I needed it. I do hate to waste some $ buy shaving tread, but for me I think this is the best route.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
With some cars, I know Subarus and BMWs, the tires all need to be within about 3/32" of each other. You can damage the transfer case otherwise. On our Subaru it had a non repairable flat and I had to get four new tires since there would be too much tread depth variance.

On the Lightning, since there isn't a transfer case, I assume there's no problem if the fronts don't match the rear since they are driven independently. I don't know about left-right.

Does anyone know if Ford has official guidance?
Sponsored