Stolen Spare Tire - Two Questions

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Thanks. Now that I know this is a thing I’ll be installing the lock in the access point and installing a combo lock. Seems like overkill but I think this may be a future issue for F150 owners that want a spare if the newer models are coming with it optionally.
FYI I did the same (got a full size spare wheel on EBay, used an extra full-use tire I had) and when ordering the lock, I made sure the dealership service techs ordered the one that they then keyed to my fob's skeleton key. There are two lock versions (i.e. two distinct part numbers), one with a separate new key and other one they can repin to match your center-cut key, and I wasn't about to have a loose unique key rolling around to then get lost.

In this related thread below, about halfway down, member AMinorJourney lists the two separate part numbers for the two versions of the lock (with a new key, and with Your key):
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...to-protect-my-full-use-spare-oem-wheel.21413/
Sponsored

Last edited:

solastobann

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Farmer

solastobann

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Farmer
Many thanks. I just ordered one with points. $79 & $15 if the dealer installs it (also with points for the payment). The website advertises a -15% discount (code REDEEM924) through 9/39/2024 up to $1,000 purchase but it did not work in this instance.
That's through 9/30/2024

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
The OEM lock is easily defeated and removed.

OP
OP

tjh20290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Just called the dealer for a replacement. $900. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere.

Victorog

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
Occupation
Construction
These trucks don’t come with locks anymore. What I did to mine which was a cheaper option, I bought a cable lock from home depot which I had to wrap around twice. Two options for those, combination lock or keyed option. I went with the key out the door was $23. Down side you have to crawl under the truck. If you had a flat you will still get dirty anyways 🤷🏾‍♂️

Tomcochran3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
retired
Did the 22s come with a lock? Is there a lock available for this? I have a 23 as well.
The OEM lock basically plugs the handle access hole. Unfortunately you can put the handle in above the bumper and lower the tire without ever opening the lock. I was using Phone as a Key and had to do this to change a flat because I did not have any keys with me. It may have been quicker to insert the handle past the trim above the bumper than it would have been to open the lock.

Tomcochran3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
retired
Just called the dealer for a replacement. $900. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere.
I bought 4 18 inch Ford take off wheels from a vendor in Denver called take off wheels. Lots of people take off OEM wheels immediately. There must be someone like this in a town near you. They also had as new OEM take off tires still mounted on take off wheels.

Sponsored

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Those bumper locks are easy to punch out.
I have one but also got a thick bike cable from Lowe's and a weather hardened lock and wrapped it though the spare and the frame rail. Its gonna be hard to take and they can go to the next guy much easier.

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Yes. 22 has a spare and a lock in the access point. Not sure it would stop a serious thief, but it will keep a lazy one at bay.
Ya, a screw in slide hammer would make short work of that Lock . . .

Tomcochran3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
retired
I bought 4 18 inch Ford take off wheels from a vendor in Denver called take off wheels. Lots of people take off OEM wheels immediately. There must be someone like this in a town near you. They also had as new OEM take off tires still mounted on take off wheels.

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
FWIW on my 2023 Pro the spare tire that came with the truck is different than the other 4 tires. It's basically a tire that's sold as a dedicated spare tire, with minimal tread depth compared to the other tires. It's mounted on a cheaper wheel that doesn't match the others on the truck. I'm hoping that the cheap wheel / cheap tire combination deters spare tire theft. But if the new trucks don't ship with spare tires I guess there's still a reason to steal even a shitty spare.
Sponsored