Sponsored

Tailgate damper install Tip

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Talking about this: https://accessories.ford.com/FordUSAccessories/f-150-2021-tailgate-viscous-dampening-cartridge-1

Great little device. Don't know why Ford doesn't include it as standard. Anyway, on to the tip.

The T50 bolts that hold in the tailgate hinge are thread glued so well that there is a very high likelihood you will chew up the teeth on the bolt. Even with my small sample size of 2, I'd say it's certain you will not be able to torque the bolt off without sheering the head. Ask me how I know lol.

So if you insist on DIYing this do yourself a favor and buy a propane torch and some heat shielding to protect the plastic bits (fire proof gloves work great). Heat the bolts up from behind and melt the thread glue off. It doesn't take that much heat, I used just a little more than the minimum flame on my cheap propane torch. You know it worked when you see smoke coming from the area. Bolts can be unscrewed without much trouble then.

If you end up jacking up the bolts like I did I'm 99% sure the part number is W720620-S437

https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-roller-bolt-w720620s437
Sponsored

Last edited:

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Talking about this: https://accessories.ford.com/FordUSAccessories/f-150-2021-tailgate-viscous-dampening-cartridge-1

Great little device. Don't know why Ford doesn't include it as standard. Anyway, on to the tip.

The T50 bolts that hold in the tailgate hinge are thread glued so well that there is a very high likelihood you will chew up the teeth on the bolt. Even with my small sample size of 2, I'd say it's certain you will not be able to torque the bolt off without sheering the head. Ask me how I know lol.

So if you insist on DIYing this do yourself a favor and buy a propane torch and some heat shielding to protect the plastic bits (fire proof gloves work great). Heat the bolts up from behind and melt the thread glue off. It doesn't take that much heat, I used just a little more than the minimum flame on my cheap propane torch. Bolts can be unscrewed without much trouble then.

If you end up jacking up the bolts like I did I'm 99% sure the part number is W720620-S437

https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-roller-bolt-w720620s437
Wish this came earlier. Had hard time taking off the bolt also. Ended up taking it to the dealer to get it done and costing me almost 300 which I believe is a total rip off.

OP
OP
ryun

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Wish this came earlier. Had hard time taking off the bolt also. Ended up taking it to the dealer to get it done and costing me almost 300 which I believe is a total rip off.
Oof that sucks! Yeah I got a similar quote. Also thought it was a rip-off since you can get the part and labor to install on ford's accessories website for less than that. Kinda wish I had done that in the first place but live-and-learn I guess.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
If you include installation with your order, it is $60.

I had the dealer install a few accessories I ordered from the Ford website because the install price was a lot less than what the dealer would have charged based on their book rate.

Give me some wood and hand tools and I can build anything. Give me a propane torch with my new truck and bad things could happen. Gots to know your limitations.

Last edited:

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
I ended up striping mine awhile ago because i didnt heat them up. I took it to the dealer who was already installing my light up front logo and he was super nice and warrantied the bolts, he ended up just installing the damper when the new bolts came in. he told me he had to heat them up to get them off.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A tip for this and similar things. This is not a unique to Lightning feature. The ICE F-150s have dealt with this for years, and addressed different means to solve this problem. Always checkout the F-150 forum for non-EV specific solutions.

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
Good advice. I just powered mine off with an impact gun and it came right off. Took the paint off the contact area of the torx bolt but a little touch up paint after the fact fixed that right up. I must have gotten lucky.

MotoGary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

I just wanted to thank you for posting this helpful tip! I successfully installed this today and I'm 100% positive I would have stripped the Torx head had I not read about this before. Those bolts are on extremely tight for a Torx head bolt. They're definitely not intended to ever come out. I don't know how anyone has removed them just with an impact wrench without shearing them. My bolts had red thread locking compound on about 3/4 of the length. That seems very excessive. Maybe others didn't have as much.

I used a propane torch to heat the bolts, and some flat rocks I found in my yard as a heat shield to protect the surrounding area. It took way more heating than I expected to defeat the thread locker--That stuff is super strong!

One other quick tip: After the bolt is out, there's still a lot of residual red thread locker gunk on the threads. I didn't want to risk cross-threading or other damage so I felt they needed to be cleaned. With the bolt off, I heated up the affected thread area and while it was still hot, I took a small wire brush to the crusty gunk and it came right off producing a clean, shiny bolt ready for fresh thread locker.

This is one of those convenient little add-ons that's a very satisfying DIY project. I know there are other cheaper aftermarket options out there, but the OEM dampener is very slick and neatly tucked inside the tail light assembly. Well worth the price! (Especially since I used Rewards points to pay for it).
Sponsored