• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate fell off, lol

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
My tailgate fell off while I was loading a mattress this afternoon, lol. It looks like parts are missing on the right side mount versus the left. Can anyone share pictures from their truck of the same?

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate fell off, lol IMG_4460
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate fell off, lol IMG_4459
Sponsored

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Looks like a standard truck bed. Is this your first truck? One side is usually slotted so you can take off the tailgate.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like a standard truck bed. Is this your first truck? One side is usually slotted so you can take off the tailgate.
You were so focused on making the condescending post about being a ā€œfirst truckā€ that you missed the point of my thread that I am trying to determine what parts are missing. Iā€™m not sure any certain number of years of truck ā€œownershipā€ would give someone enough experience to draw the tailgate assembly and parts from scratch without any reference, as noted by your complete failure to miss the gaping hole in my picture where clearly something belongs but I am mot sure what.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Who took the set screw out?
IMG_0591.jpeg
Thank you so much, really appreciate your help. Looks like I need to visit the parts counter.

My guess is the bedliner installers forgot to put the set screw or didnā€™t torque it down properly and it worked its way out.

Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Pretty sure I donā€™t have a screw hole holding in the right side of my tailgate. I didnā€™t need to remove any screw when removing the tailgate to add in the damper.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Thank you so much, really appreciate your help. Looks like I need to visit the parts counter.

My guess is the bedliner installers forgot to put the set screw or didnā€™t torque it down properly and it worked its way out.
Just checked. I have the same screw (bolt) that @Tony Burgh has. Looks like you had a missing screw or a screw loose (no pun intended-being factual!). :muscle:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Clearly the guys that sprayed the liner removed it and didn't put it back. That said, it has to be lifted out and how did that happen?

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clearly the guys that sprayed the liner removed it and didn't put it back. That said, it has to be lifted out and how did that happen?
I had the mattress halfway into the bed with the tailgate closed and the tailgate open button got pressed accidentally so it started opening while there was lateral pressure on the tailgate so I am assuming when the lifter got to the right angle it popped out.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Hopefully no damage. If it did get damaged, I be calling them...

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Interesting, didnā€™t have the screw on the pro and lariat. Anyone know the bolt size?
Sponsored