• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Things I miss on my XLT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Day 4 of Lightning ownership, and really enjoy it. I moved from a 2021 Mach-e and traded in my trusty 2014 Ram 1500 on my very sharp XLT Antimatter Blue Truck. A few things that seem odd to be missing to me, that were on both the MME and my Ram.

1) Power folding mirrors. Really at this price it should be standard, 9 year old Ram had it.

2) No built in garage door opener, this really shocked me, I guess I should have paid better attention.

3) No opening rear glass, probably not a huge deal, but sure helps when driving with windows down in my old Ram.

4) No case for Lightning manual, ya I know, all online so I'm use to the small quick start a d basic guide, but no actual Ford branded pouch to keep it organized seems ridiculously cheap out.

Anything anyone was surprised that was not standard?
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Ram includes a lot more stuff on their lower trim trucks that Ford restricts to upper trims. The folding mirrors and Homelink aren't included on any trim lower than Lariat on ICE trucks, so they just continued with the Lightning.

I also wanted a manual case. I think they stopped including them on the 2022 ICE models, because I remember my 2021 ICE truck having them. I found some good used ones on Ebay for some late model Fusions. I just recycled the manuals and kept the case.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Day 4 of Lightning ownership, and really enjoy it. I moved from a 2021 Mach-e and traded in my trusty 2014 Ram 1500 on my very sharp XLT Antimatter Blue Truck. A few things that seem odd to be missing to me, that were on both the MME and my Ram.

1) Power folding mirrors. Really at this price it should be standard, 9 year old Ram had it.

2) No built in garage door opener, this really shocked me, I guess I should have paid better attention.

3) No opening rear glass, probably not a huge deal, but sure helps when driving with windows down in my old Ram.

4) No case for Lightning manual, ya I know, all online so I'm use to the small quick start a d basic guide, but no actual Ford branded pouch to keep it organized seems ridiculously cheap out.

Reviewing the Order Guide prior to purchase helps me decide which trim I wanted, which is why when I saw the deletes on the 23's, and what the 22 XLT vs. Lariat had, I chose the Lariat. Here's some solutions for you:

2) Feel the visor where the opener would go. You should feel the outline of an area, the size of the opener, as an area in the plastic IF you have lighted mirrors on the other side of the visor. If so, then you are set to put in your own opener for under $30. In short, you buy a module on Ebay in the color of your visor. Open visor cloth, remove plastic area (cuts right out), install module wired to mirror power, put cloth back. I have done this on three Ford vehicles over the years, and when you're done it looks factory. No, I am not a "modder", I have no particular special skills. If you find the area then reply back and I will link to some relevant directions. I attached two sets of instructions, and picture from my 2013 F-150). A big note - make sure when you do this you a) have clean hands and b) get some extra hands if you need them.

4) Hasn't been there in years, and wasn't on your Mach-E. Manual is in FordPass, and downloadable in PDF form from owner.ford.com to all your devices. And, a third party will charge you a ridiculous price to send one they printed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Things I miss on my XLT Homelink installed

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: JRT

VictorM

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Experiential Knowledge Griot
I traded a ā€˜14 Ram 1500 Sport for my XLT ER (312A) and also miss the folding mirrors. Im okay with the lack of a sliding back window. Had a rock crack the back window on the Ram and the replacement was $1500.

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

Regarding (2), I found a nice solution: (if you donā€™t mind sacrificing your superfluous coinholder for a Homelink switch!) go to Amazon and search Gentex GENHLBP1 (a two-channel Homelink module, lithium battery powered w/yrs of battery life) then on to Etsy to weber3Dprints to order a 3D-printed blank to replace the coin holder. The coinholder just pulls out (can use a plastic trim tool to pry if you prefer) and the Homelink module comes with a template for making the hole in the 3D-printed blank (drill and Dremel were only tools required). No wiring required!! Works great (excellent range), and looks OEM. Now, what to do with all my quarters?ā€¦
Regarding (1), have you seen what folding the mirrors does to the 360 camera view? (still works, but the image is unfavorably altered) IMHO, the 360 camera is a gamechanger, for parking and garaging my Lightning (a 2ā€ clearance situation). I suppose I might fold the mirrors after I parked, but never while parking! No regrets about not having power fold, can always fold manually if leaving the truck in a tight spot.

Last edited:

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Reviewing the Order Guide prior to purchase helps me decide which trim I wanted, which is why when I saw the deletes on the 23's, and what the 22 XLT vs. Lariat had, I chose the Lariat. Here's some solutions for you:

2) Feel the visor where the opener would go. You should feel the outline of an area, the size of the opener, as an area in the plastic IF you have lighted mirrors on the other side of the visor. If so, then you are set to put in your own opener for under $30. In short, you buy a module on Ebay in the color of your visor. Open visor cloth, remove plastic area (cuts right out), install module wired to mirror power, put cloth back. I have done this on three Ford vehicles over the years, and when you're done it looks factory. No, I am not a "modder", I have no particular special skills. If you find the area then reply back and I will link to some relevant directions. I attached two sets of instructions, and picture from my 2013 F-150). A big note - make sure when you do this you a) have clean hands and b) get some extra hands if you need them.

4) Hasn't been there in years, and wasn't on your Mach-E. Manual is in FordPass, and downloadable in PDF form from owner.ford.com to all your devices. And, a third party will charge you a ridiculous price to send one they printed.

Homelink installed.jpg
In Lightning, if you donā€™t have Homelink, you also donā€™t have lighted mirrors. No ready power source for a mirror Homelink add. (and if I understand correctly, 2024 Lariats do not have Homelink either- only Platinum. Sad mistake.)

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Cool all, my 2021 MME did come with a Ford case for the manuals actually. The MME also has folding mirrors and yes I know the 360 gets messed up. I usually use it at car washes and driving past edge of garage door just to make sure I don't hit it. On the Ram I always hit the closed mirrors in parking lots to give more space for people to their cars and avoid people hitting them.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Case yes, but no owner's manual.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In Lightning, if you donā€™t have Homelink, you also donā€™t have lighted mirrors. No ready power source for a mirror Homelink add. (and if I understand correctly, 2024 Lariats do not have Homelink either- only Platinum. Sad mistake.)
I believe people without power in the visor mirrors went and stole it from the center console area. Also, some people simply installed Homelink IN the center console.

Our 2018 Fusion, despite being a top end trim, hand no Homelink due to some type of unresolved conflicts with either the transmission of the signal or something.

Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
My 22 Lariat has homelink

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Cool all, my 2021 MME did come with a Ford case for the manuals actually. The MME also has folding mirrors and yes I know the 360 gets messed up. I usually use it at car washes and driving past edge of garage door just to make sure I don't hit it. On the Ram I always hit the closed mirrors in parking lots to give more space for people to their cars and avoid people hitting them.
They deleted the case for the 2022 Mach-E. Mine didn't have one, until I bought one for it.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
If I'd known that I'd have kept mine from my 2021 lol. The XLT was the trim I wanted for sure. The price was already way more then any vehicle purchase ever, I wanted real HVAC, audio and comfort physical buttons.
Sponsored