• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Time to buy or wait?

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Any NM 12 awg dedicated 120v circuit can be a 20 amp 240v circuit with a swap of the breaker and plug.

Quick and painless way to get to a 16 amp evse to charge your Lightning.
Before you just swap out a 15Amp breaker for a 20 amp, double check that your wire size is actually 12AWG. Many (most recent construction around here) 15 amp breakers are connected with 14AWG.
The breaker is there to protect your wiring! Then you would likely need to replace the receptacle as well. 51ft is the length limit for 12/20 amp.

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2012 Honda Civic
Occupation
Audio Engineer
I ended up going full bore on the electrical end.

Running another 100 amp metered circuit to the garage and installing a new 100Amp subpanel off of it. Installing a hardwired 48amp EVSE where I park the Lightning, and installing a 14-50 on the other side of the garage as backup, or for if I get a second EV down the road.

My current 100Amp subpanel was out of space, and this way I can put up to two EV's on my metered circuit instead of just one; also if I would have upgraded the panel.

Granted... perhaps it would have been smarter to keep one of them off, in case I ever need to charge during the day. ;)

---

The truck has been incredible so far! Other than Android Auto, it and my phone have not been friends. :p

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio Engineer
Finished running and installing all of the wiring today.

Spent about 12 hours outside installing 65ft of conduit, trenching some of it, and then pulled 85ft of 2-2-2-4 through it; which was a pain with it being winter. Materials were about $1,450 plus a EVSE, not inexpensive, but my garage will be ready to handle up to two EV's,

Not my idea of fun, but it is ready for inspection now, and then I don't have to be slow-boating it for charging!

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Your journey of discovery has been fun to watch. Welcome to the family!

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio Engineer
Also, for anyone doing your own electrical.

Since this is constant voltage your wire needs be 125% the load, the load needs to be 80% or less of your breaker capacity. I can charge the truck off of the 2-2-2-4 but thinking I could potentially do two chargers was quite over zealous for my electrical inspector. ;)

Obviously know your own codes (they may vary).

I am legal now and am happily charging, but definitely had a few things I had missed!

----

If I were to do it again, I would have had a an electrical company pull a new line and install a 200 amp panel (same as what my house has) probably only would have been $1,500-2,500 more than I spent.
Sponsored

Last edited: