• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Time to buy or wait?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
mine is only 1 1/2cents p/kwh for overnight charging...
Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Why buy new? There are more and more low milage 2022‘s you can get for much less than new even with the tax credit. A couple of months ago I bought a 2022 Lariat with ER bat, ford spray in liner, tow tech package, twin moon roof,on board scales, B&O sound. It had 3500 miles. I paid $70k. Oh and It has the heated steering wheel! I still have most of the warranty period to see if there any issues. Last I looked it priced out at $88k new. The $7500 tax credit doesn’t even make up the difference.

There are other deals like this out there. You just have to look. Fortunately Ford is not like Tesla and a 2023 is not very much different from a 2022. You are not giving anything up buying a 22. You‘ll see more like this (and probably better) as the year ends and the CyberTruck starts production. Not because it’s better just because it’s new and there will be a number of people that will want the latest thing.

Don’t fall for the “You can get by with a SR battery”. No ER buyer ever says I wish I had bought a smaller battery vehicle. It’s not a Ford thing, it’s an EV thing. Tesla initially had a 60KW model S that was cheaper but every one instantly regretted after the heavy range anxiety hits. You don’t need 500 miles but you need more than 200. EVERY serious battery manufacturer says DO NOT REGULARLY CHARGE TO 100%. Unless it’s an Iron phosphate battery. Ford won’t have one for a few years if at all. So if your get a SR battery with a 230 mile Max range but only daily charge it to 85% well that’s only 184 miles and thats on a great nice day not too hot not too cold. A hills and wind will reduce thIs. Towing is a whole nother Oprah. Not nearly as bad as folks would have you believe but something to consider. Why not buy a used Lariat with and ER battery and everything you want for less?

Gullwing

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I'm in the same predicament of whether or not to buy now or wait. And also used vs new. Since I may be able to claim the fed tax rebate I'm watching prices on both now. Of course they're still all over the place with some dealers trying to still charge over MSRP on new and close to MSRP on used. However, some of the biggest price drops I'm seeing are on used Platinum versions in the upper 70's.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
So why buy new?

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Why buy new? There are more and more low milage 2022‘s you can get for much less than new even with the tax credit. A couple of months ago I bought a 2022 Lariat with ER bat, ford spray in liner, tow tech package, twin moon roof,on board scales, B&O sound. It had 3500 miles. I paid $70k. Oh and It has the heated steering wheel! I still have most of the warranty period to see if there any issues. Last I looked it priced out at $88k new. The $7500 tax credit doesn’t even make up the difference.

There are other deals like this out there. You just have to look. Fortunately Ford is not like Tesla and a 2023 is not very much different from a 2022. You are not giving anything up buying a 22. You‘ll see more like this (and probably better) as the year ends and the CyberTruck starts production. Not because it’s better just because it’s new and there will be a number of people that will want the latest thing.

Don’t fall for the “You can get by with a SR battery”. No ER buyer ever says I wish I had bought a smaller battery vehicle. It’s not a Ford thing, it’s an EV thing. Tesla initially had a 60KW model S that was cheaper but every one instantly regretted after the heavy range anxiety hits. You don’t need 500 miles but you need more than 200. EVERY serious battery manufacturer says DO NOT REGULARLY CHARGE TO 100%. Unless it’s an Iron phosphate battery. Ford won’t have one for a few years if at all. So if your get a SR battery with a 230 mile Max range but only daily charge it to 85% well that’s only 184 miles and thats on a great nice day not too hot not too cold. A hills and wind will reduce thIs. Towing is a whole nother Oprah. Not nearly as bad as folks would have you believe but something to consider. Why not buy a used Lariat with and ER battery and everything you want for less?
There are lots of lariat and platinum trims, but very few XLT and even fewer pro. Not everyone can afford a $70k truck. You can order a new, well optioned XLT for $65k and in many states, incentives can total over $10k. The cheapest used XLT are $55k.

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager

I just ordered a Lariat ER, with the ER you get pretty much everything and it was 78k and some change. 88K is approaching platinum level trim. For the additional 8k I would take the new model year.

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2012 Honda Civic
Occupation
Audio Engineer

I am totally fine with used, but I am with @astricklin on the cost of that. It needs to come down, not everyone can afford current prices.

Currently, both of my vehicles are atleast 8 years old and both are paid off, I don't mind driving either. My current truck costs $500 a month in fuel, insurance, and maintenance, although it does get 20-30mpg. It is a headache as it has spent a lot of time in the shop. I also don't drive it when I can help it (I have a 50+ mile commute) as my car is cheaper. If it wasn't in the shop as much, and if I drove it more it would cost more than $500 a month to drive. I estimate with an electric truck I should be able to save $250-300 a month, perhaps more if I drive more. Over 10 years, which is how long I want to keep a vehicle atleast, $300 a month savings is $36,000. Combine that with $10k in federal and state rebates for a new a vehicle, and 8 years of the major parts of a vehicle being under warranty, a new one starts to make sense (I imagine on top of my normal costs that my truck would need a new or rebuilt engine at some point in the next 10 years). By my napkin math my cost of ownership for my current paid of truck is $48k+ over 10 years, add a rebate and that makes it $58k towards a newer vehicle.

The most I could afford would be $55, maybe $60k anymore would not be a good decision for our fiscal situation, and only then with a low interest rate. The idea of paying over $40k for a vehicle hurts, and I am only considering it because of the savings over 10 years.

I love the idea of used, but the prices need to come WAY down. The cheapest I have seen used so far in the country was a Pro, with 20-30k miles, they wanted $44k for it and it sold almost immediately. Considering the available rebates, and potentially get a new vehicle under MSRP I would want to see $11-13k knocked off of the new price assuming the vehicle had zero mileage on it, maybe factor in another couple of thousand for a year on the road.

That means a Pro would be in the $35-40k range (maybe $45k for extended range). XLT base package should be cheaper than $43k and that an extended range should be $53k or cheaper.

Totally open to used once it dips below that, but I haven't seen it yet. :)

---

I hear you on the range, more is better. But cost takes a higher priority than range for me. If we really need to do a roadtrip we could take the car. Where I live is flat, my garage fits a truck and is heated, and my work commute is a little over 50 miles. That extra $10k for an extra 60-70 miles of range kind of prices me out of this vehicle, unless it is a Pro (hard to get) or used (discussed above).

At the moment I am quite content waiting, and I don't have a choice on that... haha just found out I am waiting another month for parts on my current trucks repair, that makes 4+ months without it. :censored:

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
I had the same debate: buy now or wait for the next edition? My wife said: "If you wait for the next best thing there will always be a next best thing and you're never going to buy anything."

So, I bought my MME and so glad I did. Carrying her thought with me as I am purchasing my Lightning.

I got to think, why suffer with gas and the issue of maintenance. The convenience of 'filling up' at home, the quiet ride and smooth power (not race power, just every day driving) makes the EV such a good experience.

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Buy now, and buy what you can afford.

I went the XLT ER version and was at 73,500 MSRP with what 1500 in incentives plus did FMC financing for the lower interest rates. After the tax credit I will be in the low 60s for a truck I have wanted since I bought my Prius in 2012.

Now instead of a PHEV Escape and a Silverado i have one vehicle to do everything I want.

As mentioned, you can always wait but you lose out on what you want now and will always wait for that new thing.

As I just made my first $950 a month payment, I do stress buy what you can afford. That amount hurts no matter what your income level is. Miss my first new car in 1999 and the $8,500 price tag and $150 payment. 😭

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2012 Honda Civic
Occupation
Audio Engineer
I have been on the fence for the last few months.

I have also been tempted by the hybrid Maverick, until the dust settles for EV prices and technology standardizes....

But the allure of the Lightning has been with me, and it is 4x4, which in winter can be the difference between getting to work or not out where I live.

---

I finally went for it, I have put a deposit down on a new Ford Lightning Pro, with the tow technology package that I will be picking up in the next few days. Between some fierce haggling with a plethora of dealerships all over the Midwest and rebates (federal/state) I will be getting it for a little over $37k (plus tax), which I believe is cheaper than the base model ICE F150 4x4 supercrew can be had. I am stocked!

I have been trying to get my head around what electrical infrastructure I need to get going into my garage, and in talking to my utility this week I discovered that they offer EV charging at a much lower rate of $.068 and they also have an optional "subscription" plan which is $.0416/.05 per KWH!

All of my budgetary calculations thus far had been for $.128 per KWH, I did not think it would be this affordable to drive!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have been on the fence for the last few months.

I have also been tempted by the hybrid Maverick, until the dust settles for EV prices and technology standardizes....

But the allure of the Lightning has been with me, and it is 4x4, which in winter can be the difference between getting to work or not out where I live.

---

I finally went for it, I have put a deposit down on a new Ford Lightning Pro, with the tow technology package that I will be picking up in the next few days. Between some fierce haggling with a plethora of dealerships all over the Midwest and rebates (federal/state) I will be getting it for a little over $37k (plus tax), which I believe is cheaper than the base model ICE F150 4x4 supercrew can be had. I am stocked!

I have been trying to get my head around what electrical infrastructure I need to get going into my garage, and in talking to my utility this week I discovered that they offer EV charging at a much lower rate of $.068 and they also have an optional "subscription" plan which is $.0416/.05 per KWH!

All of my budgetary calculations thus far had been for $.128 per KWH, I did not think it would be this affordable to drive!

Congrat's and welcome, you're blessed to have inexpensive energy for EV charging where you are, starting in January my costs will go to 35.1 cents a KWH!!

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Congrats ... level 2 / 220 VAC will do you well for charging. The Ford mobile charge adapter comes with plug ends for both 110 and 220 VAC. The level one is very slow - about 2 miles/ hr ... the level 2 is about 6 times faster! I will likely sell my Charge Station Pro because the mobile adapter works so well.
Sponsored